Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Chalk up another for the unemployment line....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Chalk up another for the unemployment line....

I thought 'pink-slip' was firing/termination. I wasn't laid off.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Very sorry to hear that, my friend. I have a lot of faith in you, though. There's people out there that need what you got.
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Wolf/Ben

Getting laid off or let go really stinks :( I've been lucky enough to have it happen to me only once so far in 26 years, and ultimately it led to new and better opportunities. I hope the same will be true for you; who knows, maybe PE needs a regular speaker designer/builder to rewamp their slightly outdated project showcase? Wouldn't that be cool?

Louis

Comment

Ditto on all the above, Wolf. Check about the unemployment, anyway. And, as folks are saying, you never know... I had a moderatly sucky temp job, with a rather sucky boss, who yelled at me for something he was wrong about, after showing him I was right, he apologised... then ended my contract at the end of the day. Just a couple of weeks later, I got a call about a temp position at another place... which turned into the job I've been pretty happy at for for >4yrs.

So hang in there... enjoy the time off, change of habits, time to rethink and look around, etc... and see what opens up out there!

Comment

Ben, sorry to hear about your situation.

Some of us end up staying at our jobs, because it's employment and it's safe, not because it's where we want to be. See this as an opportunity to pursue a job or career path you might not have ended up in otherwise.

Comment

Sorry to hear this Wolf. You've always struck me as someone who can cope with these kinds of things.

Best of luck! (and I'm looking forward to a surge in speaker designs from you )
              Jay T
              http://sites.google.com/site/lhwidgetssite/home

Comment

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen anymore now that we've been stimulated?

If you don't mind asking, what was the business you were in?
                Vapor Audio

Comment

Hopefully you'll find (like I did when I was layed off 5 years ago) that a job is not the most important thing in the world.

I found unemployment to be refreshing (after I got over the initial shock). If my wife had a job at the time, I would have stayed unemployed for a lot longer than the 6 months it took me to find a job. Another plus: unemployment benefits now are a LOT more than what they were 5 years ago (I've been researching it, because I'm on the verge of becoming jobless again).

Enjoy your free time...Get out and try new things...Live life!!!!

(as I write this, I'm stitting, wasting away in a cluttered office on a beautiful, perfectly cloud-free, 70F day).
                  Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Good luck in the hunt. New opportunities can lead to improved situations. I wish you the best!

Joey B
                    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Ben,
                      I'm sure things will turn out ok, just keep your eyes and ears open and you'll find what your looking for.

Doug
                      http://dpeterson.home.mchsi.com/

I just checked and my "give a damn" is broke :D

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        I thought 'pink-slip' was firing/termination. I wasn't laid off.
                        Wolf
                        Wolf we all need a laugh just take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stDWNam7RtE

I would think you felt like doing that at least once. Good luck with your job hunt. Phil

Comment

Good luck dude!

One time I had a fortune cookie that stated - you will get some new clothes. Geez, what a fortunate man I am!:p
                          If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            The really funny thing is...

Last Friday, I picked up a fortune cookie on the table at work unopened, so it was still valid as superstitions go for those that believe them, and it said:

A good time to start something new.
                            Lucky # 22,34,15,17,23,59

While I don't have that much belief in fortune cookies, that is rather ironic, and kinda funny at the same time. I do like the sweetness and crunch they provide though.

Thank you all for your kind words, concerns, and pep-talks.
                            It's appreciated!
                            Wolf
                            My brother just got RIF'd at IBM after 15 years --on his 50th birthday (with 3 teenage daughters). I had a similar experience back in the early 80's. Went from engineering consultant to finishing drywall.

I remember complaining to my father cause they had started foreclosure papers on my house. He asked me if I still had my rifle. I said yes, I did. "It ain't really bad till you gotta kill something for dinner." True dat. After digging out, I never worried about surviving again.

You've got some good skills & a great attitude, somebody out there is looking for you. Keep after it till you find 'em. Never too late to reinvent yourself. (H*ll, look at Rod Stewart & Madonna)
                            Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                            "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                            Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Hey, Ben, sorry to hear this, but you're a very resourceful person. Do take a little time to relax and even enjoy not working for short while, then go at finding a new job with enthusiasm.
                              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                                Wow, that's shocking ...

...I just want to be sure you are aware of the program they started recently which allows you to collect unemployment while being a full time student? You'll probably want to try to get an idea about how whether your state will continue to offer "extended" benefits for long enough to make it worthwhile? I almost can't see not taking advantage of this wonderful opportunity to get PAID to go back to school. That's what I'm doing now.
                                Let's all raise a glass to Wolf - cheers - I think Wolf doesn't drink alcohol, but he won't mind anyway...
                                Sadly, it's not shocking. I survived my first layoff in 1983, when they were decadal events. Now they're as predictable as the market falling, and usually coincide. Thankfully I've been spared... to date.

However, my son's generation hasn't been so lucky, and since my wife teaches at the local community college, I'll second critofur's recommendation. There are a number of opportunities for education-plus-unemployment benefits. I know people who are in them. They deserve your attention.

That said, there's likely a reason you didn't continue your education when you were younger. Whatever it was, realize that your hobby demonstrates that you have the skills for high-tech stuff, you just need some sheepskin to get prospective employers to give you a chance. And there are some things that get easier as we get older; perhaps not the learning or memory as much as the tenacity, determination and will to succeed at your goals.

There are lots of people with degrees who can't figure their way out of a paper bag. Adding a strong technical background to your implementation skills will make you a valuable asset to whoever gives you the right opportunity.

HAve fun,
                                Frank

PS I'll be missing Dayton; cooking BBQ for 130 of my closest friends and family...

Comment

Working...
                                X