Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Chalk up another for the unemployment line....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Chalk up another for the unemployment line....

Originally posted by fbov View Post
    Sadly, it's not shocking. I survived my first layoff in 1983, when they were decadal events. Now they're as predictable as the market falling, and usually coincide. Thankfully I've been spared... to date.

However, my son's generation hasn't been so lucky, and since my wife teaches at the local community college, I'll second critofur's recommendation. There are a number of opportunities for education-plus-unemployment benefits. I know people who are in them. They deserve your attention.

That said, there's likely a reason you didn't continue your education when you were younger. Whatever it was, realize that your hobby demonstrates that you have the skills for high-tech stuff, you just need some sheepskin to get prospective employers to give you a chance. And there are some things that get easier as we get older;perhaps not the learning or memory as much as the tenacity, determination and will to succeed at your goals.
    There are lots of people with degrees who can't figure their way out of a paper bag. Adding a strong technical background to your implementation skills will make you a valuable asset to whoever gives you the right opportunity.

HAve fun,
    Frank

PS I'll be missing Dayton; cooking BBQ for 130 of my closest friends and family...
    +2 to the above

Research what industries are booming right now and focus your attention in that direction. Sell yourself and be confidant. Don't underestimate the skills you have to offer our your aptitude and capacity for learning!

Judging by your devotion and dedication to the fourm I would dare to venture you have been in a career rut for some time. Complacency in your career progression often manifests as an obsession in some other hobby or task. We all know you can put serious effort into what motivates you! Turn that relentless drive in a direction that will get you to your goals!

Your undoubtedly swelling with all kinds of emotions. KEEP that energy and convert it into Wolf kick a$$ fuel. When that stuff burns out it can be hard to brew more. View your termination as a liberation and see the world as yours for the taking because it F&*%ING is. Now go get some son. Your whole life is ahead of you. :D

Comment

I have been avoiding posting, Just trying to think of the right thing to say,but I will not put it off any longer. I was really sorry to hear this. I know it it is such a shock to the head and heart. I feel like I know you well enough to know you would be a great addition to any company. Who knows maybe the bosses nephew need a job. I know I do feel for sure you will move right along to a better position.
      "Come out swinging"
      cuggie
      "What's Time To A Pig?"

Comment

Hey Wolf - sorry to hear about your situation. Times like these do offer an opportunity to reflect on where you're headed and sometimes can lead to a better place. With your skills, determination and generosity - I am confident you will come out of this well. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.
        Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Add another 'sorry bout that' to the list. I've been living the global economy dream much in recent years. The HR head that told me my job was being sent to Mexico was on TV recently. 0 for 350. Probably needs resume coaching. Being 60+ might have a little to do with it. Nothing against him, he was just the messenger boy. As others have advised, step back & look at the big picture. You have talent; just need to figure out how best to use it. Best wishes.

Comment

Comment

I don't know if there are any opportunities as a technical writer. I am mighty impressed by the expressiveness and hooks you guys employed in this tech talk forum." More later" is my favorite!

In my previous life as a researcher, most of my time was spent on technical writings such as reports, summaries, etc. As far as I am concerned you guys can do any job you want because you already have demostrated one of the most important quality in any jobs-- write fast and write well

Comment

Just a thought here for ya Wolf...
                If you were to write a book, and keep it simple for guys like me, I'm thinking I'd be willing to buy it. The technical knowledge you possess and the projects you've built would make for some good material for those of us who need a bit of tutoring.
                Like I said, just a thought...
                Mike
                "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                Bismarck, North Dakota
                My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

So sorry for you Wolf. I will say though that a guy with your talent, drive, and ability to understand the technical will probably not be unemployed for long. I wish you and the misses the best and God bless you both.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

While I know a bit about the 'building speakers' hobby, I don't think I'm qualified enough to write a book. There are others that know much more than I do.
                    Thanks for the thought though!

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Certainly can't replace the check from a full-time job, but if you don't have one already I'd suggest setting up a dedicated website/blog about all your projects, getting an affiliate marketing account from PE, and using the attention all your speaker work gets to bring in a little $$ with marketed links to products used. At the least, it should keep you in hobby money .

Comment

Or providing speaker crossover and cabinet designs for those of us not sufficiently computer savy?

Comment

Originally posted by ligs View Post
                          Or providing speaker crossover and cabinet designs for those of us not sufficiently computer savy?
                          I brought this idea up to Wolf long ago.

Wolf ... you'd have a hundred Guys right here lined up to buy those services. I know you're used to doing same out of kindness but this could lead to something for you. Start a website and do this for a reasonable fee . I have a friend in California that does XO Design but his fees start at $1500 !!!

This is your 1st love as to vocation... worth a shot.
                          'Soupy'

Comment

Make the best of the opportunity, Ben. Jobs come and go, friends and family are forever.

" The future's so bright, I have to wear shades..."
                            When you run make sure you run,
                            to something not away from, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere.

Comment

Chin up.
                              Count the blessings arround you and you may see that this is another one.
                              No matter where you go, there you are.
                              Website

Comment

While I'd love to be able to make that kind of dough from this :eek:, I feel that if I start doing it full-time I might actually hate it in the end. I am investigating some avenues in this regard, but I don't know how far it will go.

At this point I'm trying to just find something that is well-suited for me, and pays the bills, even though that wouldn't be absolutely necessary right at this moment, or necessarily what I want to do.

I'm plugging away at it, and I'm glad to have a "support-group" to help me through it! :D

Thanks, everyone!
                                Wolf
                                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                                X