Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Chalk up another for the unemployment line....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Chalk up another for the unemployment line....

You can hate or love anything. It's where your head's at. If you decide to get a job, be confident that you'll get the job and they'll give it to you. That's my only advice - because it works.

If you decide to go at it alone. Don't. Get investors interested. They'll motivate you in a number of good ways. Everyone has down days and weeks where nothing seems to be working right. It's easy to feel discouraged when you're working alone, so don't do it that way. You'll need equipment, inventory and working space. The less you use your home for such things, the more accomplishment you'll feel. You'll need a business plan. Just look around at the dolts starting businesses to get rich quick. You want to get rich slowly so you'll have a nice nest egg and retire easily.

Also, don't plan on hooking up with any distributors (hint...) thinking they'll sell your stuff without trying to undercut you and steal your designs. Remember, it's experience that teaches us all.

That's my unrequested advice.

Aaron

Comment

That's some good advice.

At this point I'm looking for a job to suffice the Unemployment demands. If I find one suitable, I'll go after it- that's for sure.

Thanks,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'm wanting to send you a p.m. but am up to my eyeballs in junk of my own right now. I'll get to it.

God Bless
        'Soupy'

Comment

Anything new with the employment picture Wolf? I've been out of town for the last month and wasn't able to check my email (or Tech Talk) as much as I would have liked to.
          Best wishes,
          Mike
          "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
          Bismarck, North Dakota
          My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
          My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Nope- nothing yet.
            Thanks for asking!
            Wolf
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              Nope- nothing yet.
              Thanks for asking!
              Wolf
              What do you want to do?

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Trying to aim for where I have experience, not ruling out things I could easily do and enjoy. So- I've been applying for different positions of a lot of sorts.

Later,
                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

you should, sorry could, contact some of the speaker manufactuares and see if they could use another designer. work from home with occasional meetings in hawaii or some other tropical island. beats driving a forklift. not that there is anything wrong with that just that you have other talents too. you feelin' me? you could even work for pe:remote tech support.
                  " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                  Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                  http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I suppose that's possible, but all I have is street-cred in the hobby. No certifications, or anything in that regard. If I wanted the Acoustic Engineering degree, I'd have to graduate BSEE or BSME first, and go into graduate program for Acoustic Engineering.

While I might enjoy it, I just don't have the expertise where someone would hire me for it.

Later,
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Loudspeakers is your hobby, not your vocation. Where you really shine is with people, you have excellent people skills. I've already talked to you a little bit about it. You did take an MBTI self assessment. Knowledge of yourself can help you find a preferred route.

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      I suppose that's possible, but all I have is street-cred in the hobby. No certifications, or anything in that regard. If I wanted the Acoustic Engineering degree, I'd have to graduate BSEE or BSME first, and go into graduate program for Acoustic Engineering.

While I might enjoy it, I just don't have the expertise where someone would hire me for it.

Later,
                      Wolf

Comment

I agree with this wholeheartedly, Wolf. You are a truly good guy and are great at helping others. This is a valuable skill in the workplace and you should absolutely consider it as you move forward. You may have great skills on a forklift and "street cred" with speaker design, but looking at where you can make a difference in the world will take you on a better career path. Frankly, there are a lot of people who can stack pallets with forklift assitance.

If you lived close to me, I would either hire you or find someone that needed your skill set because I have been very impressed by you.

Loudspeakers is your hobby, not your vocation. Where you really shine is with people, you have excellent people skills. I've already talked to you a little bit about it. You did take an MBTI self assessment. Knowledge of yourself can help you find a preferred route.
                        DP

Comment

Originally posted by donparsons View Post
                          I agree with this wholeheartedly, Wolf. You are a truly good guy and are great at helping others. This is a valuable skill in the workplace and you should absolutely consider it as you move forward. You may have great skills on a forklift and "street cred" with speaker design, but looking at where you can make a difference in the world will take you on a better career path. Frankly, there are a lot of people who can stack pallets with forklift assitance.

If you lived close to me, I would either hire you or find someone that needed your skill set because I have been very impressed by you.
                          I've driven a forklift a number of times, I wasn't especially good or bad at it. Had difficulty with unstable or toppled loads. A nice clean tight crate/pallet was always easy. Like most things you need practice, experience to get good at it. The more I drove the more "feel" I got for it. It's not a job that requires a lot of skill, just common sense and a lot of attentiveness (in my opinion).

Comment

Hey Wolf -

I've been thinking about you often. I have another Buddy on this list of P.E. Unemployed. Now the list gets longer.

He's basically doing what you are doing.

I know you know what you're doing but just don't paint yourself into a corner.

I spent about 8 years of my life running Fork lifts as well as rebuilding them. I've driven every weird fork lift out there. Personally I liked that work.

I still believe it likely you'll end up on your feet in a better position.

Don't throw away everyone's thoughts regards your skills. I still say there are likely hundreds that visit this board that would hire you simply to build XO's for them . They want to build but are afraid of the XO. Likely just as many that have drivers sitting around but can't find a design ... you fit in there regards modeling.

If nothing else a decent part time job til you find a position you want.
                            'Soupy'

Comment

Hi Wolf - sorry to hear of your circumstances. If you are relocatable, send me a resume if you want. I manage a department at an insurance company and we're always looking for good people. I don't know you personally, but given all that I have seen from you on this board, I think you could learn or be taught to do almost anything (insurance is not speaker building, but it does pay the bills for the hobby!). Best of luck.

Scott

Comment

Wolf-

Agree w/ previous poster about not painting yourself into a corner. You're obviously a very bright guy, ethical, and excellent people skills. These attributes, plus the ability to think creatively, are going to pay off.

Sux that the economy is in the crapper right now, but I think in the long run, you're gonna be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X