Monster Sonosub build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monster Sonosub build

i assume you're married, don't screw it up as most women would'nt put up with that.... thing in their living room. have you considered installing it in the basement and venting it to you living room? you could shock the crap out of people when you say "ya think the bass is ok, or should i turn it up a notch?"

Comment

Originally posted by estreet View Post
      i assume you're married, don't screw it up as most women would'nt put up with that.... thing in their living room. have you considered installing it in the basement and venting it to you living room? you could shock the crap out of people when you say "ya think the bass is ok, or should i turn it up a notch?"
      I am married. My wife is great, and puts up with the ridiculous things I do. If it keeps me happy (and doesn't waste a lot of $), then things are fine. I keep reminding her that at least I don't have a classic car project and a boat project, like our neighbor.

My wife wasn't around for this test. I actually got it all disassembled and back into the basement before she got back home for our Mem. Day cookout (it rained HARD, so we were all indoors). She did mention it to our guests, who all agreed that it's a bit ridiculous after seeing the sonotube. I'll change their minds when I unveil it on movie night (sometime).

I tested it with some 20-60Hz tones, and things went really well. Some scenes from The Incredibles were actually very incredible. The main problem is things rattling around the house. Chasing those down was a bit of a pain, and I didn't get everything. Sometimes it's hard to find the source of the rattle.
      Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

I finally got some time to work on this project. I've been cutting a lot of discs out of plywood and MDF. I used PL premium construction adhesive to glue 3 discs inside the sonotube for structural support. Then I glued in some 3.5" thick fiberglass.

The end caps are two 3/4" thick plywood discs (total 1.5" thick). In between the layers are constrained T-nuts to allow for mounting of the driver, and fastening of the cosmetic MDF end plates (and legs).

The discs in the rear are the cosmetic MDF end caps. I'll probably just paint these with truck bed liner.

Hopefully I'll have time to glue the end plates (baffle and port end plate) in place this week, then get started on the painting of MDF, and cutting the Baltic Birch for the support legs.
        Attached Files

Comment

I hadn't checked this thread out before. I like your sub, but I know some cats that would really like it (at least while it wasn't playing).
          It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

the bracing looks good. it will be a nice sub. any thought to what amp to use for it. I am thinking that the 240a is on sale. It may be enough power for the sub. I own an a-400 reckhorn and have an a-402 or order. this is a good seller and if you are willing to wait for slow cheap shipping it is quite a bargain. it does take over 60 days to ship for the low cost option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reckhorn-A-402-S...#ht_1637wt_750

Comment

What a sub! +1 on The Incredibles....great sound in that movie. My favorite sub test scene (though short) is the part where Mr. Incredible is sitting in the empty board room, and Syndrome and the Bot crash through the wall...right before the wall comes down, there is a HUGE LFE hit. Always makes me smile....
              The TK421 kicks it up another 3 or 4 quads per channel.

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
                the bracing looks good. it will be a nice sub. any thought to what amp to use for it. I am thinking that the 240a is on sale. It may be enough power for the sub. I own an a-400 reckhorn and have an a-402 or order. this is a good seller and if you are willing to wait for slow cheap shipping it is quite a bargain. it does take over 60 days to ship for the low cost option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reckhorn-A-402-S...#ht_1637wt_750
                I just ordered an Onkyo TX-SR707 to handle the surround sound...it'll handle 4 ohms, but it also has pre-outs in case I need to run an external amp (this is my first surround sound system...I've never even heard a surround sound system, so this should be pretty cool). I was planning on using my old receiver (Yamaha 200W into 4 ohms) for the sub for now. I've tested the receiver into the sub using Audacity, and 10 Hz passes through...that's low enough for me. I may get a SA240, but for starters, I'll try the Yamaha amp. I still have to finish my CC and surrounds, though.

I glued the end caps into the sonotube. The end cap with the port was a real pain, since I couldn't slip it into the sonotube sideways. The easiest way to install the discs is to roll the disc into the sonotube like a wheel, then turn it 90 degrees into place. I couldn't do that with the port end cap, and the fit was tight. I'm glad that job is done. Now on to the legs and MDF cosmetic caps.

Comment

hello I was wondering if anyone made this type of sub with the titanic 15 mk3? I have two of them and didnt build the box yet, I wonder if they would work in this type of setup? if so where would I start? what size sono tube do I get? and will it sound good? thanks mjc

Comment

Originally posted by hasekisgod View Post
                    hello I was wondering if anyone made this type of sub with the titanic 15 mk3? I have two of them and didnt build the box yet, I wonder if they would work in this type of setup? if so where would I start? what size sono tube do I get? and will it sound good? thanks mjc
                    There is an equation in the PE reference library (somewhere) that will tell you if the driver can be used in a downward facing position. If it can, then run the T/S parameters and figure out what the volume of the enclosure would work well (along with the port diameter and length, if ported). With the volume, you can calculate if a sonotube will work for that driver (and what diameter sonotube will work well).

Sonotube is great for large volume enclosures. If your volume is small, there is no need for sonotube (unless you like the cylindrical shape), and MDF is probably your best solution. Sonotube is expensive when you get it in the size I have (I think it's about $120 for a 12' length, if you can find someone who sells it in singles). The volume on mine is going to be a little small, as I got 24" sonotube. 28" diameter would work better for the driver I have. I'm currently limited by ceiling height.

Here is some software, and a good website for subwoofer ideas/design: http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm

My Onkyo TX-SR707 should be arriving today!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have a question wat is the thickness of the sonotube|? 1/4 of an inch? I found the 24" inside diam x12 feet for 120 by me and it is 1/4 of an inch thick. is that righht or is the real sono tube 3/4 of an inch thick? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hasekisgod View Post
                        I have a question wat is the thickness of the sonotube|? 1/4 of an inch? I found the 24" inside diam x12 feet for 120 by me and it is 1/4 of an inch thick. is that righht or is the real sono tube 3/4 of an inch thick? thanks
                        My sonotube is about 1/4" thick. The tube shape provides an incredible amount of rigidity (think of large air compressors, and what shape they are...cylinders with spherical end caps), especially with end caps glues in place, so the 1/4" thickness is plenty. I had to brace my sonotube because it had gotten wet and delaminated. Even after forcing wood glue in between the delaminated layers (as much as I could get in there...I missed some places), the tube needed support in some areas.

I did some quick finite element analysis on the tube strength versus the end caps. The flat end caps need to be about 1.5" thick to match the 1/4" tube strength. My end caps are two 3/4" thick plywood discs glued together with PL Premium construction adhesive.

I just bought another package of fiberglass to pack in around the port end, in addition to the fiberglass I already lined the tube with. The cosmetic MDF end caps are complete, except for finish (just bought the truck bed liner spray paint this morning). I mainly need to layout and cut the legs out the the BB plywood, then this thing is done (well, I also have to cover the sonotube...I bought 1/8" thick quilt batting and a black bed sheet to cover the sonotube...both for less than $30 at Walmart!). Progress is slow...heat wave in CT. We matched the all-time record in CT of 102F this week. Humidity didn't help matters.

I received my Onkyo TX-SR707 and finally got the set it up and try it with my Statements (only have L and R for now...CC and surrounds are in the works). I was amazed at how poorly this Onkyo sounded. No bass at all in 'stereo' mode. Just awful. I thought I had mad a huge mistake in purchasing it. Then I tried 'pure audio' mode. It shuts all non-essential stuff off. It sounds MUCH better. I'll have to play around with more modes later, but for now, 'pure audio' sounds great. I'm not sure why the default 'stereo' mode sounds so poorly, but I've only had about 1/2 hour listening time so far.

Comment

ya I hear ya with the heat im in upstate NY by Buffalo and it is goin to be a brutal day today like its been all week lucky the ac is on but in the garage it not worth going out there now. but ya I have two titanics 15's mklll I wanted to use in a 24" sonotube. I bought the sonotube yesterday and dont know where to start with how long of a tube I cut it down to 4 3/16 to get the 12 footer in the car but now I used the sono software and my driver is in there already. I get all good check marks for a 326L effective vol at the tuning of 13.9 hz. but my question is is that a good size to go with? and what is the first port resonance need to be at? its at 228 now with that size and the driver to top resonance is 140. I dont know where u want those number to be at. one another thing is how do I know if my driver will work well in that size tube with the port at 6" x 2' 6" 3/8 long about. what do you guys think will I be ok with this size tube? thanks mjc

Comment

I'm feeling your pain on the heat side! Up here in Ottawa it's not quite as hot as farther south, but it's about 96 degrees here right now with a humidex of 112... hot enough to keep me from doing much that can't be done in air conditioning!

Nice work on the sonosub - look forward to the final results!

Comment

Rain/lightining is coming mid-day to help break this heat wave, so I had to get out early to do some routing (I hope the neighbors didn't mind!).

Here are the legs. Elliptical cut out on the cross pieces (it looks circular in the photo, but it's an ellipse...7" deep x 20" wide). This is all made from a single piece of BB plywood I found on the side of the road about 6 years ago...I finally found a use for it. I've never worked with BB, but it's nice stuff...no voids. Translam temptation!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

Comment

Slow going on the sonosub, but here is the latest progress. I hand sanded the finish off the legs, then sealed and polyurethaned them after gluing and screwing them together. The cosmetic MDF caps were covered with a few coats of sealer, then Rustoleum truck bed liner. I'm used to using Duplicolor, which has a plasticy finish. When applied, the Duplicolor bubbles to a rough finish, like it is carbonated (like a fizzy soda). The Rustoleum went on a lot thinner, and dried to a sandpaper-like finish. Little gritty particles rubbed off easily after drying. So I blew all the loose stuff off, and painted them with satin black house paint (same stuff I painted my Tritrix TLs with). This made a perfect finish with a really nice texture.

Next week my wife and I will wrap the sonotube with thin quilt batting to hide any texture of the sonotube, then cover that with a black bed sheet. Hopefully if all goes well, I should be listening to this thing next weekend.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X