Sealed RSS315HF-4 Subwoofer Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealed RSS315HF-4 Subwoofer Build

This thead will cronicle my subwoofer build with a RSS315HF-4 12" sub and a Dayton SA240B amp (thanks to ssyfert) in an approx 2CF box. See this thread for some background on the design.
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=sa240b

[ATTACH]9190[/ATTACH] Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0574.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1176260 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0576.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1176261 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0580.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1176262 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0583.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1176263

3/4" MDF box with 1/2" thick baltic birch braces/supports. MDF with biscuits and titebond II. Braces glued with Gorilla Glue.
    Mark
    My TriTrix Build
    My Core 2 Way Build
    My RSS315HF-4 Subwoofer Build

Re: Sealed RSS315HF-4 Subwoofer Build

I am guessing the top is a drawing of what you hope to have when you are done. I like it a nice look.
    Are you going to tie the front baffle to the back wall with a brace at 12 and 6 o'clock (woofer hole is the clock)?

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
      Are you going to tie the front baffle to the back wall with a brace at 12 and 6 o'clock (woofer hole is the clock)?
      I thought about it, but with the 2-45 degree braces at 11 and 1 on top and 7 and 5 on the bottom. (i.e. at 11 oclock I have 1 brace from the side to front and from the front to top.) Basically I am addiing supports at 6 equal locations around the speaker. I also assumed that the speaker frame would add rigidity between supports. I used the same logic for the amp except it is centered.
      The sides and top and bottom that don't have the amp/speaker will have front to back (top to bottom) supports.
      I also will have the varying thicknesses of solid oak on top and around on the top and bottom.
      Mark
      My TriTrix Build
      My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

well I would say you may be right and you can add something after the fact if needed.

your bracing scheme would be nice if it works well.

I am just not that sure it will since I have never looked at one like yours. If it works it would weigh less and use less wood.

Comment

My goal was to max the volume and minimize weight. My thinking is:
          -Front to back (top to bottom, side to side) supports would keep the two sides from moving in opposite directions at the same time. The front and back could still move in the same direction. I used this where I didn't have the speaker or amp. two braces side to side and one top to bottom.
          -Braces (triangles) provide a rigid stable assembly whether the joints are pinned or fixed. In other words, a triangle will not change its shape unless it breaks. This effectively reduces the panel size and exponentially increases the strength.
          -I considered a rib down the center of the panel each way to make a "T" beam. I feel this is better to add strength to a panel with stiffners than doubling up layers of MDF. I may add these if there is a problem.
          -The best and my original design had a hybrid of all of these that would be ideal. If I had a CNC I would have built it but I am too lazy to put more work on the inside of the box than the outside. (As an Architect it has to look good and if it is a bonus if it actually works.)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	SUB.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1128815
          Not sure how we tell when enough is enough?????
          Mark
          My TriTrix Build
          My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

Mark, I look forward to this...your TriTrix build is one of my fav's...I love the lighter stains in your project, and I suspect this will be just as beautiful.
            How will you attatch the fabric? I love that it wraps around all sides...
            If I can't afford it...I don't need it

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin G. View Post
              How will you attatch the fabric? I love that it wraps around all sides...
              Ahhhhh..... I haven't quite figured that out yet. The front will be a typical grille with a 1" thick perimeter to cover the surface mounted sub and it will be removable with magnets.
              I would like to wrap the two sides and the front with speaker cloth spray glued direct to the MDF but I can't figure out a good way to to trim the back edges. I am also concerned with the long term viability of spray glued fabric.
              Soooooooo, what I will probably do is paint the exposed MDF black like by TriTrix and make the magnetic grille.
              Mark
              My TriTrix Build
              My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

Top put together with glue and biscuits cut from one board. Box primered and rough sanded. Gloss black over primer as a base coat and to make flaws stand out. Final coat will be satin black.

Name:	DSCN0587.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1128835 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0586.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1128836 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0588.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1128837 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0589.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1128838 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0593.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1128839
                Mark
                My TriTrix Build
                My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

A few updates on the sub. It is finished except for the grill. My camera bit the dust so I don't have any pics showing the stain and finish. Here are last pics I took after installing some of the oak/walnut trim.

Name:	DSCN0598.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1129076 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0600.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1129077
                  Mark
                  My TriTrix Build
                  My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

Originally posted by MrkCrwly View Post
                    This thead will cronicle my subwoofer build with a RSS315HF-4 12" sub and a Dayton SA240B amp (thanks to ssyfert) in an approx 2CF box.

That's a nice looking box design. I could picture that in a corner of a room with a nice vase or picture frame on it -- and I can't see any wife having a problem with something so nicely done... furniture-like. Nice.

Howd'ya get those darker squares in the lower panel? Drill and chisel?

TomZ
                    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                      That's a nice looking box design. I could picture that in a corner of a room with a nice vase or picture frame on it -- and I can't see any wife having a problem with something so nicely done... furniture-like. Nice.

Howd'ya get those darker squares in the lower panel? Drill and chisel?

TomZ
                      Thanks for the nice comments. The wife likes my builds and even shows off the speakers to her friends.
                      I do the the walnut squares the hard way. I cut strips of oak and then glue them back together. Here is a pic from my TriTrix build showing the strips before gluing.
                      Mark
                      My TriTrix Build
                      My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

Beautiful design!

I really like the oak and walnut accents!

Comment

Working...
                        X