Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your test baffle look like?

Hi,

I'm evaluating some ideas for a test baffle, and would be interested in seeing what others have done. Please post a photo or link.

Thanks and regards,

Rob

Re: What does your test baffle look like?

Bump. Please.

Comment

Originally posted by weinstro View Post
      Bump. Please.
      I don't use a test baffle. I use T/S parameters to build a box and baffle then test the drivers in the box I will be using.

Comment

+1 on that
        "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
        http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
        http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

A test baffle is interesting, but not really a required item. Response is so different on real baffles vs a large test baffle that a test baffle is of little value in xo design - it is useful in making fair comparisons of drivers, however.

Our club made a folding one based on this design I drew up one afternoon - doable from a single sheet of ply or particle board. 4 x 5 feet. In practice, this had a 1x2 wrap on the back of each panel, a clasp on the outside, and a foot that hinges out and supports it like a picture frame. The green hatched portion is removable, and has a 1x2 wrap for attaching the test baffles. All you need to do is make a 14x14" baffle for each driver used. This baffle is +/- 1dB down to ~300Hz or so. Similar performance to an IEC baffle, but portable and a more convenient dimension.
          Attached Files

Comment

diffraction response of above baffle
            Attached Files

Comment

I am finishing a test baffle that is 49"x90" 1"thick supported by heavy shelves in the middle of a large room. There is a 10" by 49" that fits in a slot that can be raised to accomodate a driver. I expect I will use a jigsaw to cut out tapered openings for each driver size. I will start with small and move to larger so I can just enlarge the opening as required.
              I believe a large test baffle is necessary for running accurate driver tests to determine best use. My speaker systems are large multiple driver and do not have the limitations of a little 2 way.
              Ted
              I was tired and got tired again so now I am Re tired.

Comment

You could check out Zaph Audio, he has a small article on his setup, along with how he's setup Soundeasy (software), second link from bottom of main page.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by weinstro
                Bump. Please.

I don't use a test baffle. I use T/S parameters to build a box and baffle then test the drivers in the box I will be using.
                This is probably better than just using the infinity baffle FR response, since the box can have all sorts of effects on the frequency response, mainly Baffle Step and Baffle Diffraction, but depending on the box may introduce reflections, etc.

[I have to rely on Test Baffle results at the moment, because I can't accurately measure FR response...though this is usually sufficient for beginners and intermediates ]

Comment

It would be interesting to see a graph done on a large baffle and then one done in a box on the same speaker. Looks like you have a golden opportunity for an experiment.

Dan
                  "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
                  http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
                  http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman View Post
                    It would be interesting to see a graph done on a large baffle and then one done in a box on the same speaker. Looks like you have a golden opportunity for an experiment.

Dan
                    Large baffle tests look flat, like a mfg spec sheet.
                    small baffle results have a bump, a drop of 6dB below the bump and geometry dependent ripples above the bump. The larger the baffle, the lower the bump frequency.

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=215112
                      here's mine
                      http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                        Interesting - I like the rolling carriage for it, and the replaceable inserts. How thick is the baffle?

Have you done anything special to control panel resonance? I read on Zaph's site about how he used a CLD-type panel, but he's a little quiet on the recipe. Also, that panel weighs ~150 lbs.

I'm not that concerned about the weight, but I would like to make something that can be broken down in some way for easy storage when not in use, and also something that can be moved relatively easily.

Thanks and regards,

Rob

Comment

So, here's the shot of the IEC test baffle, courtesy RJBaudio

Any thoughts on how to cut that 30 degree relief behind the driver? This is not a standard router bit.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Working...
                          X