Peerless 6 woofer 3-way under way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peerless 6 woofer 3-way under way

Since I had 6 Peerless 850439 laying around in various boxes that I'm not thrilled with, I decided to put them all together and go for a high sensitivity 3-way. 2 drivers in parallel for the woofer, crossed at 500Hz LR2 to another driver acting as a mid, crossing 2500Hz LR4 to the SEAS 27TBFC/G.

The woofers will be in roughly 1.5 cubic feet tuned to 50hz for F3 near 50Hz. After baffle step, these should provide in the neighborhood of 91dB/2.83V.

Well, one baffle is almost complete. I'm constructing them using oak quarter rounds to frame the baffle and offer diffraction mitigation. Progress is a little slow, but the wood accent should be visually appealing. I should have both done by the end of the day tomorrow. Then it's on to the rest of the box and bracing. I'll use those outrigger spikes to complete the look. Still need to decide on the overall paint scheme.

Last edited by Pete Schumacher ; 08-06-2010, 10:47 PM.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Re: Peerless 6 woofer 3-way under way

Those are going to look sharp Pete! I like the pattern on the baffle in the CAD drawing. What are going to use for that?
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
      What are going to use for that?
      really good looking and sounding plant stand.:D

apparently I read as bad as I spell, i thought that said THAT FOR. wow, sometimes i confuse myself?
      was not trying to slam you either Tom, just a bad failed piece of humor on my part.
      Last edited by Thomas Brown; 08-05-2010, 11:42 PM. Reason: i can no longer read
      THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
      SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
      - SCOTT IAN

Comment

Those are going to look sharp Pete! I like the pattern on the baffle in the CAD drawing. What are going to use for that?
        I was thinking possibly a textured black paint for the baffle, hence the "pattern" in the drawing. No decision just yet though.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

Comment

A few months back I was thinking that very configuration (perhaps different drivers, but similar). The woofers I'd use are the Peerless HDS Nomex 830875, and I might use the Seas DXT tweeter (just got my first pair of them to play with yesterday). My inspiration was the Elsinore speakers, I thought to make something inspired by them, but slightly smaller, and perhaps reduced vertical lobing...

I was wondering why more speakers didn't use 3 woofers with 2 in parallel in series with the third. Seemed like it would be an excellent way to achieve BSC + good sensitivity.

I hadn't decided whether I would want to relieve the mid from reproducing the lowest notes, to achieve a cleaner midrange, or, whether to run the mid full range up to the crossover point to the tweeter, yielding the still excellent combination of: 1) bass duties split accross three woofers, 2) good sensitivity, and 3) fairly high impedence - but hmm - perhaps there should be a capacitor in parallel with the upper (mid) woofer...

I also like that method of dealing with recessing truncated frame woofers very much.

Looking forward to following your thread, good luck!
          "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
            A few months back I was thinking that very configuration (perhaps different drivers, but similar). The woofers I'd use are the Peerless HDS Nomex 830875, and I might use the Seas DXT tweeter (just got my first pair of them to play with yesterday). My inspiration was the Elsinore speakers, I thought to make something inspired by them, but slightly smaller, and perhaps reduced vertical lobing...

I was wondering why more speakers didn't use 3 woofers with 2 in parallel in series with the third. Seemed like it would be an excellent way to achieve BSC + good sensitivity.

I hadn't decided whether I would want to relieve the mid from reproducing the lowest notes, to achieve a cleaner midrange, or, whether to run the mid full range up to the crossover point to the tweeter, yielding the still excellent combination of: 1) bass duties split accross three woofers, 2) good sensitivity, and 3) fairly high impedence - but hmm - perhaps there should be a capacitor in parallel with the upper (mid) woofer...

I also like that method of dealing with recessing truncated frame woofers very much.

Looking forward to following your thread, good luck!
            This is a true 3-way, not a modified 2.5-way. The uppermost mid is to have a 5 component band pass, with no bass at all. I'm anticipating cleaner mid performance that way.

Comment

Baffles are prepped and ready for a box behind them. I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out. The wife is excited to see the progress.

I found out something interesting . . . make sure you double check the orientation of the quarter round, as they ain't necessarily that "round". :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                Baffles are prepped and ready for a box behind them. I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out. The wife is excited to see the progress.

I found out something interesting . . . make sure you double check the orientation of the quarter round, as they ain't necessarily that "round". :rolleyes:

Not sure if what you are saying is that the quarter round isn't 3/4" by 3/4". There is also shoe mold that is 1/2" by 3/4". Typically used for base board. Easily mistaken for quarter round.
                Dave
                http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
                https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

Originally posted by davepellegrene View Post
                  Not sure if what you are saying is that the quarter round isn't 3/4" by 3/4". There is also shoe mold that is 1/2" by 3/4". Typically used for base board. Easily mistaken for quarter round.
                  Dave
                  Yeah, not "quite" 3/4" x 3/4", but real close. Enough to notice on one baffle after I glued everything in place. One side came very close to flush, while the other side was off by 1mm at the most. Some sanding blended that all in, but it was definitely a surprise to me. I paid close attention to the next baffle and it saved a bit of time and sanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                    Yeah, not "quite" 3/4" x 3/4", but real close. Enough to notice on one baffle after I glued everything in place. One side came very close to flush, while the other side was off by 1mm at the most. Some sanding blended that all in, but it was definitely a surprise to me. I paid close attention to the next baffle and it saved a bit of time and sanding.
                    Just crappy mill work then. I have ran into that a lot, under sized moldings. Sometimes the last two feet on a piece tappers down or worse yet when you have a slight dip in the piece from milling and you don't see it until the finish hits it. Can get aggravating. Its hard enough to get things right when the wood is perfect.
                    Looking good!
                    Dave
                    http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
                    https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

Nice! I'm starting to like all of your projects the best, Pete. You seem to be reading my mind about all the different designs I'd like to do. The difference is, you actually build them while I dream about them. haha!! :D
                      Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Merlot
                      Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's,
                      Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's,
                      MiniDSP 2x8, class D amplification

Sennheiser HD650's

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
                        Nice! I'm starting to like all of your projects the best, Pete. You seem to be reading my mind about all the different designs I'd like to do. The difference is, you actually build them while I dream about them. haha!! :D
                        I'm building this one to sell . . . ;)

Comment

Re: Peerless 3 woofer 3-way under way

OK, one cabinet is starting to take shape. Got all the pieces cut including braces, and interior mid chamber. I should have the mid chamber completed this evening on this first cabinet. Then it's just a matter of adding all the internal braces and back panel with vent before laying the final side piece, and the first cabinet will be done!!!

These will be very well braced. :D

Comment

Just missing the back.

Gonna do the glue wash thing to seal up the MDF. They're turning out really nice.

Comment

Nice! Me likey.

I like the angled braces in the mid chamber helping redirect sound coming off the back of the driver. I have been wondering about that lately...about how large in comparison to the driver they might need to be.

Lookin' good!
                              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Working...
                              X