Dad's new HT Mains (LouC C-Killas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad's new HT Mains (LouC C-Killas)

After much searching and debate I've decided to build LouC's C-Killas for my Dad's HT mains.
    http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/ckilla/CKilla.html

It is a modified version as my mother didn't want big boxes around, so they will be recessed into the wall and will stick out 1.5 - 2 inches. The enclosures will be 24 H x 7 W x 5 D. I didn't change the width so I wouldn't have to have the crossover changed. I also had to move the ports to the front due to the recess and went with 1" ports instead of the 1.5" due to the reduced depth. So there will be two 1" ports on the front now.

Some pics.

Need to cut some braces before I wrap up the enclosures.
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Re: Dad's new HT Mains (LouC C-Killas)

Uhm- if Lou did not put any BSC into the design, then you don't have to change it. If he DID use some BSC, as I think he did, you will not like the outcome as designed in your application.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

if you keep working on the carpet, you are going to be in big trouble young man:eek:
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I don't think you'll need to change much Joey. There's not more than about 2-3 db of baffle step. They might sound a little full on the bottom end, but I doubt you or he will find it troubling. If you are worried about it let me know, I'll redesign a flat crossover or you can stuff the ports loosely.
        Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
        "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
        Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

thats an intresting circuit on the woofer. explain?
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Wolf - I had spoke previously with Lou about this in another thread and was told that I shouldn't have any issues since the enclosures will be sticking out and he put a minimal amount of BSC into the design. Thanks for the heads up on it though!

And as stated, I think my Dad's listening tastes will enjoy the little boost in the bottom end.

Arlis - hahahah. No worries there. I use a scrap piece of stock to cover the carpet and work on that instead of the carpet. Living in an apt makes it difficult with this hobby, but I've managed to do plenty of builds here and only minimal amounts of glue on the carpet! :p To look back and think what I have built in my apt.......

LouC - Thanks for the confirmation Lou! Also, you spoke of padding behind the woofer. Looks like I'll have somewhere around an 1" +/- .25" behind it. Should I just leave it out and make sure I brace wellin close proximity to the woofer? Kind of concerned with airflow around the woofer with both ports on the bottom, or should I not worry about that?

Thanks for the critiques/criticsms/concerns/motherly warnings :p !
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I'd use some foam or fiberglass between the back of the "can" and the rear wall. With that short depth, I'd be more worried about backwave refection to the cone.

If you put your braces in at an angle, it would help breakup any pipe resonance from the long thin cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by arlis_1957@yahoo.com View Post
                thats an intresting circuit on the woofer. explain?
                Just a 2nd order crossover, with a notch filter (R/L/C) to control the cone breakup.

Comment

So I'm about to cut out the braces and got to thinking (hope I don't start any fires!) about the placement of the speakers. The bottom of the enclosures will be about 5-6 ft off the floor and the tops will be within 1 ft of the ceiling.

Should I put the drivers near the bottom? In the middle? I'm sure I need to aim them downward, correct? Give me some thoughts on this, cause it will be something I need to figure out for keeping the speakers from falling forward. The main seats are about 10 ft away.

Comment

If they're for HT, I'd keep them as close to screen level as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
                      If they're for HT, I'd keep them as close to screen level as possible.
                      Oh that's a given Lou, but should I point/angle them downward toward the listener or are they far enough away it's negligible?

EDIT: I see the confusion. I'm not questioning their placement on/in the wall, but rather their angle to the wall, should i angle them slightly downward or will the vertical dispersion be tall enough I don't need to worry about it.... Sorry.

Comment

At 8-10 feet, I doubt it would make much difference. I'd let aesthetics rule here. If they will be quite a bit higher than the screen, you could put the tweeter below the woofer (I used to run my old TM center that way.) But the drivers are pretty closely spaced, so I doubt it will be a huge issue. I doubt anybody outside of our "critical listener" community would hear much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
                          At 8-10 feet, I doubt it would make much difference. I'd let aesthetics rule here. If they will be quite a bit higher than the screen, you could put the tweeter below the woofer (I used to run my old TM center that way.) But the drivers are pretty closely spaced, so I doubt it will be a huge issue. I doubt anybody outside of our "critical listener" community would hear much difference.
                          The C-Killas I made for my sister sit on top of their wall shelf unit (bottom of speakers are about 6' off the ground). I listened to them while out their for vacation, sitting back about 8-10' and they sounded great to me. I didn't notice any issues with the sound at all. They worked very well in that situation.
                          Andy.

Comment

Speakers are done except for the finish. Surprise surprise. We tried doing the melamine walnut finish with razor blades and it was turning out like crap. So I either need to find an alternate means of cutting it or go with a flat black finish. Mom doesn't want them standing out so no fancy finish is needed. I'm thinking of using the router and a small flush trim bit, but the recess holes will prove to be challenging.

Sooooo....I'm thinking flat black may be in order. Oh well.

As for sound. Wow. Quite impressive. Dad was blown away. He's thrilled to be getting them. We only stood them on the mantle as he hasn't begun their final positioning. On the mantle and on the floor, bass response is quite unreal. They are a perfect match for his room. Crisp, clean bass that flows ever so smoothly. I gave them a listen on my desk away from boundaries and the bass definitely falls off in the low octaves. The boundary certainly helps if you like that sound (which we do). A sub is not needed if placed in such a manner.

Imaging is wonderful and I am so happy that it is so. He won't need a center channel which makes mom real happy. :/ The Denon receiver with all its features really helps as well, and all these thoughts I am posting are without Audyssey calibration.

I'm really happy that I chose these. The performance/cost is quite impressive.

I'm always a little upset after building such a nice design that they aren't mine.

Comment

Pics

For some reason I don't know why, I strangely like the look as they stand....weird.....

Comment

Working...
                              X