Anybody had a chance to play w/ these?

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8824

Just curious.

Re: Fountek FR 89 EX

Originally posted by cooper View Post
    Anybody had a chance to play w/ these?

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8824

Just curious.
    they don't go as low as the ns3's but IMHO they sound a lot better, plus they're made a lot better.

not to much info but towards the bottom of the page
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=217739
    David

Comment

For another option in this size, there's the Faital Pro 3FE20. It has pretty amazing sensitivity at 91 dB / 8 ohms. I can't vouch for the quality but it seems to have good potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint View Post
        For another option in this size, there's the Faital Pro 3FE20. It has pretty amazing sensitivity at 91 dB / 8 ohms. I can't vouch for the quality but it seems to have good potential.
        Who in the US stocks this driver? If it is not too expensive I would be willing to give it a try.
        Martin

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
        www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

US Speaker.

Mike

Comment

Interesting spec for excursion: "X Damage"

Comment

It looks good if that graph is right and $29.95 is a good price.
              No matter where you go, there you are.
              Website

Comment

91dB and 8 Ohms is very attractive, however does not have the excursion of that crazy Fountek driver. I'd like to see high output distortion plots of both of these, to see which suffers the most when the volume knob is cranked.
                "You give bad advice and cause a lot of confusion" -Craigk

Comment

I kind of want to drop everything and build an MTM with these Faital drivers and an SB29RDCN tweeter, which has good sensitivity at 94 dB. It's a kind of pocket rocket, really loud for its size. But these 3" drivers don't want to be covering the bass. How about a two-piece, a skinny MTM on top of a huge box with a 15" woofer?

Comment

Toss the box.

Try a 20" wide by 38" tall OB with an Eminence Alpha 15A woofer crossed acoustically around 200 hz to either the Fountek or Faital. Probably will work with either passive or active crossover. Total cost of a passive version would be less than $400 including plywood, 40 Hz to where the small driver rolls off, and excursion not really an issue at even loud listening levels.

Simple.
                    Martin

www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

The Faital response looks alot like the SS 10F driver everyone's been talking about with the advantage of a bit better off axis. As Flint said, it ain't gonna play well below 300hz so stereo bass bins would be best actively crossed. I have a pair of FR89's i'm gonna try OB MJK style over some 15" OB woofers once i find a good deal on Ebay or Craigs list. Need 2 per side and a high QTS to get any real low end extension though. I've listened to the FR89 as a full range on my desk top in some 4" PVC elbows an they were a lot of fun. The SS10F is almost 3X the price but i bet makes for a world class full range desktop monitor (with a sub of course).

Comment

You only need one Alpha 15A per side. They are $60 each. Do yourself a favor and buy quality, don't settle for some used junk that won't hack it in the long run.
                        Martin

www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

Working...
                        X