3-Way to be Ready for DIY Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-Way to be Ready for DIY Iowa

An unusual topology borrowing quasi-QTP ideas from Curt and a cascaded TMW approach from my TzuJan's. If I haven't made too many mistakes, it models very well. Hiquphon OWI over Seas U18/RNX over Usher 8955A. Build begins tomorrow. Rather a TzuJan on Steroids.

Got about 2 months to DIY Iowa. Time's a'wastin'. Who thinks it will or won't work? (I have a ho-hum LR2/4ish sorta thing as backup if it doesn't).

[IMG][/IMG]

Re: 3-Way to be Ready for DIY Iowa

Maynard- I have no doubt it will be functional, but you have quite a few resistors in there that could be 'redundant' for L-pads. I mean 3 L's for 2 drivers seems a little excessive.

Have fun, and I hope to see you there!
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Maynard- I have no doubt it will be functional, but you have quite a few resistors in there that could be 'redundant' for L-pads. I mean 3 L's for 2 drivers seems a little excessive.

Have fun, and I hope to see you there!
      Wolf
      Yep. The one on the tweeter may very well go away with more tweaking. But, it is going to take two. I've always found good resistors (Mills) to be pretty benign. That said, count the non-resistor parts. Nine - not bad for a 3-way. Rather - a hypothetical three way.

Comment

Very true.
        Wolf
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Seems a bit overly complex to me. Why build a high pass to a mid that is affected by the tweeter network? Tweak one and the other needs to be tweaked to balance it back.

I'd think you'd use no more components with a pure parallel network, and tweaks would be much simpler.

Otherwise, I've no doubt you could make that work.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I don't think you're looking at that right, Pete. The Hp in front is the HP for the midrange, but it adds additional protection for the tweeter.

I can see where it MIGHT affect it, but that should be minimal.
            Later,
            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I don't think you're looking at that right, Pete. The Hp in front is the HP for the midrange, but it adds additional protection for the tweeter.

Later,
              Wolf
              The amount of "extra" protection for the tweeter is also minuscule.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

With the size of the cap in this design, agreed.

His Tzu-Jans were another story.
                Later,
                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

With the size of the cap in this design, agreed.

His Tzu-Jans were another story.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  Besides the fact that the HP on the tweeter is 3rd order already.

Comment

OK Wolf. Cleaned up a bit. Baffle will be sloped about 12 degrees to align the drivers. I think it will look pretty good. Baffle will be solid maple, which has been drying here in the house for about a year. The rest of the cabinet will be walnut veneer. Sounds like a strange combo, but I've seen some furniture that is just stunning with it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I can't wait to hear them! I love the look of that U18. How were you able to effectively deal with that dip at 600Hz using so few parts? Hearing your work at Iowa a few times, I have no doubt that these will sound great. Are they going to fit in your car or will you use your frequent flier miles to get them here?
                      Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Later,
                        Wolf
                        Almost like a HP filter before the HP filter. What a way to eliminate LF talk to the tweeter! Great way to correct phase too.

I like the idea, and just goes to show why Maynard's designs are stellar. Thanks for sharing and I hope to hear them at Midwest Audiofest next year.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
                          I can't wait to hear them! I love the look of that U18. How were you able to effectively deal with that dip at 600Hz using so few parts? Hearing your work at Iowa a few times, I have no doubt that these will sound great. Are they going to fit in your car or will you use your frequent flier miles to get them here?
                          I don't deal with it perfectly. Best not to be slave to flat response. Actually, the Usher also has an aberration about there. Fortunately, frequency dips are less audible than bumps, in my experience. The XO with the Ushers is at about 400, so that XO point allows for some fortuitous shaping in that area. Result is only a db or so dip and a little flutter in phase. It will be interesting to see if it can be heard.

Unfortunately, the Usher and U18 have a very different look, but you can't have everything.

I'll never ship or fly speakers again. Can't protect them well enough. They will actually just fit in the trunk of the Mercedes toy car - really. The space is cavernous. However, it is a 38-year-old car, so I'll probably just drive the Subaru Outback.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

nice so far. do you have a sketch of the enclosure?
                            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              nice so far. do you have a sketch of the enclosure?
                              I have no such skills Arlis!! I'm making a cut list right now. Picture ~42" high, 10" wide, and 16" deep. The entire box, front and back sloped 12 degrees. Walnut veneer. A 22" baffle of solid maple on the top half, raised about 3/16 above the overall baffle face - like the baffle in the pic below. Add to your picture some little maple stabilizer outrigger thingies at the bottom rear for more a bit more stability.

That is about as much of a plan as I ever have. Who knows how it will actually look when the saw starts spinning later today?

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X