Dayton Classic Revival - a smallish TMWW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton Classic Revival - a smallish TMWW

When PE put the DC50F mid dome on sale this month, I decided it was finally time to try a few ideas with them I'd always had in the back of my mind.

First idea: a small, simple TMWW using the Dayton ND20FA6, DC50F, and two of the DC160 (run in parallel). The cabinet was easy, it's just the Amiga cabinet (geez, am I getting a lot of mileage out of that thing!). This is close to ideal, since the cabinet is ~ 30 Liters, which is within 10% of "ideal" for running two of the DC160. It gets an F3 of 34 Hz; not bad, eh?

Whenever the DC160 is brought up, one of two things is said:
    1. harmonic distortion measures poorly
    2. it has a weak midrange, and could be a good woofer for a 3-way

So why do we see so few 3-ways using it in the bass? Not sure, since the price is very attractive, and they do get a remarkably low F3 in a relatively small cabinet.

Still, I'm not sure what the reaction will be to this design, since the Dayton Classic series has so many naysayers--TriTrix aside. I was very hesitant about even mentioning the project, just sort of showing up with it at Iowa. But that event looks pretty jam-packed, and I don't want to take more limelight than what's already been allotted to me. So instead, I'll just toss this out in the water and see if it gets any nibbles. If it doesn't, that's OK with me; doesn't change my opinion. On the whole I think the Dayton Classic series are pretty fun drivers to listen to, and no graphs can take that away from me. ;)

I don't want to post the crossover yet, but I did a quick add-up of the parts cost and it's less than $210.

I put the guitar next to it for a sense of scale. Apologies to any anal-retentive neat-freaks for the mess of cables and parts. I'll be the first to admit that my music room can get pretty messy.
    Attached Files
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Re: Dayton Classic Revival - a smallish TMWW

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    When PE put the DC50F mid dome on sale this month, I decided it was finally time to try a few ideas with them I'd always had in the back of my mind.

First idea: a small, simple TMWW using the Dayton ND20FA6, DC50F, and two of the DC160 (run in parallel). The cabinet was easy, it's just the Amiga cabinet (geez, am I getting a lot of mileage out of that thing!). This is close to ideal, since the cabinet is ~ 30 Liters, which is within 10% of "ideal" for running two of the DC160. It gets an F3 of 34 Hz; not bad, eh?

So why do we see so few 3-ways using it in the bass? Not sure, since the price is very attractive, and they do get a remarkably low F3 in a relatively small cabinet.

Still, I'm not sure what the reaction will be to this design, since the Dayton Classic series has so many naysayers--TriTrix aside. I was very hesitant about even mentioning the project, just sort of showing up with it at Iowa. But that event looks pretty jam-packed, and I don't want to take more limelight than what's already been allotted to me. So instead, I'll just toss this out in the water and see if it gets any nibbles. If it doesn't, that's OK with me; doesn't change my opinion. On the whole I think the Dayton Classic series are pretty fun drivers to listen to, and no graphs can take that away from me. ;)

I don't want to post the crossover yet, but I did a quick add-up of the parts cost and it's less than $210.

I put the guitar next to it for a sense of scale. Apologies to any anal-retentive neat-freaks for the mess of cables and parts. I'll be the first to admit that my music room can get pretty messy.
    How do they sound? I've always loved those little guys, even with their poor, rough midrange.

Comment

Very nice look, Paul! "DCR"s, eh? Good name.

So, yeah- how do they sound? I've been wanting to hear the DC50 again, as it's been about 7 years since I heard it.

You also have to love that HUGE flange on mid-domes of typical variety, dontcha? :rolleyes:

I hope to hear them.
      Later,
      Wolf

PS- a "classic revival" of the ZDT's too...
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

Interesting design Paul, I like it! I've never heard the DC50 but I'd like to give it a go. Are the domes the sticky type? I'm a fan of the DC160 in a 3-way, I built a pair of towers 3 yrs ago w/ 4 DC160's a side and love it. Good solid bass. Any chance of seeing some measurements in the future?

Dan

Comment

Paul,

Does it jam hard enough for you to practice along with your drums?

Comment

Hey Paul,

I'm also interested in how these perform! This could be a great full range bedroom design, or be a quick simple into to the DIY world for friends.

F3 of 34hz? Impressive. How's the impact, can you feel it nicely in the chest? How's it play at low levels and off axis?

Thanks for another contribution!

Russ

Comment

I'm curious to see how these come out. The DC160 sounds boomy in the BR-1's, IMO. But Qts of .33 seems quite good and two in parallel might do the trick. Curt C has made great use of the 5.25" drivers. You might have found the ideal use for the awkward 6.5" sibling.

Comment

I'm interested as well. Would love to see the XO.

You've also convinced me to build a pair of Amiga cabs w/ removable front baffle and easily replaced crossovers.
                I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Paul,

I think it looks like a great project. I think it would fit well for all of those friends of ours who aren't audiophiles and don't want to hear every last detail on the SACD, but just want a nice set of floor standing speakers.

You seem to be a speaker designing machine lately. Keep it up. :T
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                  CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Reminds me of the Lyras, which I have running in my garage system to good effect. They look like they will make really nice music.

Another nice, resonably priced and sized design for the non-extreme crowd (thats some on this board and lots of folks off the board ;-)

Andy.

Comment

Looks neat. I am reminded of these. Which I thought would probably be a ton of fun for someone who just wanted good sounding, loud ht speakers. Or something for rocking out.

Comment

Cool. Kind of like Matt's dual dc-160 system.
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=218718

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
                          Looks neat. I am reminded of these. Which I thought would probably be a ton of fun for someone who just wanted good sounding, loud ht speakers. Or something for rocking out.

Last I heard on those, they still needed some XO tweaking.

Comment

Those look very nice.

Man, is that a monster flange on that mid!

I'm sure we're all wanting to hear about some "listening impressions". Get to it. -CJB
                            "In the short term, the system with lower non-linear distortion may sound dead or lifeless, but given enough listening, this will be the preferred system as the fatigue of the higher distortion system sets in. " -ZaphAudio.com

Comment

The flange on that DC50 is disgusting. The project looks good though, I'm a fan of the TMWW.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X