Power Amps... What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Amps... What do you use?

So I'm just curious as to what everyone is using to drive all these large 3 way and large MTMW and MTMWW speakers. With that many drivers what is an acceptable amount of power? I assume these larger speakers don't do so well with the regular mid-fi 120W/ch receiver? Also does the impedance play a huge factor in what amp you decide to use?

Re: Power Amps... What do you use?

I can run myself out of the room with my measly little onkyo 606...if there's a reason to have more power than that... I haven't found it yet. That's just me though.
    ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Comment

I have a JVC receiver I got for free, I believe it does 100Wpc. It has optical I/Os

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

in my indoor shop i have a sherwood 100x2 that powers my tmww just fine. in my livingroom my onkyo 606 powers them fine too, as loud as i want.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

This thing (Parasound HCA 1000)

Pretty rockin, off ebay for under $200. Lots of power, quality, cheap, thats how I roll.

Comment

ClassDAudio power amp modules driven by a PC.

I'm calling it my PCeiver.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

(SAE) Paramount Pictures MC200 6-channel, plus Mitsubishi MA5200&4200 amps for the active systems... HK 2000 4/2 channel, Sony TA-2000 vintage amp for whatever combo is in at any giver time.

Comment

Originally posted by lamski View Post
                So I'm just curious as to what everyone is using to drive all these large 3 way and large MTMW and MTMWW speakers. With that many drivers what is an acceptable amount of power? I assume these larger speakers don't do so well with the regular mid-fi 120W/ch receiver? Also does the impedance play a huge factor in what amp you decide to use?
                The low impedance will require higher current output capabilities. If you're shopping, amps with multiple output device pairs can be a good indicator of low impedance capabilities.

My amps range from ancient to merely vintage:
                Hafler DH-200
                Marantz SM-6
                Marantz MA-5

On the bench, waiting repair/restoration:
                Dynaco ST-70
                Sumo Andromeda
                Heathkit W3

Of the ones mentioned above, I would use the Sumo or Hafler for low impedance applications. The tube amps can deal with low impedance loads through the magic of transformer taps. The Marantz amps are kind of cool as they can be switched into a pure class A mode, but they generate serious heat in this mode. They are not rated for class A mode into low impedance loads, however.

As long as you don't clip the amplifiers, you probably won't note that much of a difference. All of these are capable of delivering average SPL's in the pain range.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

If you want a high quality power amp that will handle 2 ohms and wild impedances, look no further than the Aragon 4004 MK II.

Comment

I use a QSC GX5 for my mains.

James

Comment

Three Accuphase P-300s (1973) for HT channels.

Jolida 302 tube amp for an Altec 604e open baffle system and an Adcom 5800 for an electrostatic pair.

Comment

Hmm where to start
                        Pioneer SA9800
                        BGW 250E
                        LM3886 Gain Clone
                        Crown D60
                        Dared VP-16
                        I know there are a couple more in there somewhere
                        The vintage SA9800 is probably my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by violaplayer View Post
                          Hmm where to start
                          Pioneer SA9800
                          BGW 250E
                          LM3886 Gain Clone
                          Crown D60
                          Dared VP-16
                          I know there are a couple more in there somewhere
                          The vintage SA9800 is probably my favorite.
                          I have an SX-980 and SX-1250. They might be my favorites as well. Is that SA9800 mosfets?

Comment

Originally posted by lamski View Post
                            I used to power 4 ohm MTMs with a 10-15 year old Sony mid-fi. While it never went into protect it would get screaming hot if I pushed them. Then I got an HK AVR247 that's rated at 65 wpc. It seems to run warm all the time. The power is okay, no more.

In my main theater room I use an Acurus 100x3 for my WMTMWs and MTM center. It never even gets warm and has plenty of power. I have an Adcom GFA-545II and an NAD2155 on the rear and surrounds. They are solid as well. An Outlaw preamp runs the show. It's kind of a cobbled up arrangement but eBay has been very good to me. No need for a fancy HT receiver here for a while.

Comment

I think you'll find some like to use a plate amp for designs you mentioned with 1 or 2 woofers. This cuts down on passive parts cost, large woofers can take big coils. Plus you have adjustable XO points and phase on your amp. Then the MTM portion doesn't require as much power to drive IMO.

What I use.
                              HT- Pioneer VSX-D608 5.1
                              I'm driving 4 ohm L/C/R speakers with this receiver no problem.

WTMWWW Active 3-way
                              Onkyo M-501
                              Yamaha AX-570 w/preouts
                              Yamaha AX-900 w/preouts
                              Behringer CX3400 XO
                              The Yamahas aren't my first choice but fun to play with.

Computer room.
                              2-Dayton MCA2258 Bi-amps driving RB-MTMs towers /no sub.
                              These could be a MTMW easily.

Are you building a design you mentioned?

Later
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X