Swans M1 Copy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swans M1 Copy

I used the HiVi planar tweeter and F5 mid-woofer used in the original M1. However, rather than to build a crossover from scratch, I used the Dayton 2-way cross over at 3500 Hz. The box I used was a reclaimed cabinet from a Jamo C403, reusing only the terminals. The speakers in this Jamo model are flush mounted with the front surface so I was force to rough cut slots for both the tweeter and woofer to fit (some day, I hope to transfer this setup to a new cherry finished cabinet from Dayton). In conclusion, I did not use the best methods (used box), and an off the shelf crossover, but the final product sounds better than it probably should have. My desire was to have a better sounding small monitor sized speaker than was typically available for the investment, and to that end I was successful.

Re: Swans M1 Copy

Originally posted by DPL View Post
    I used the HiVi planar tweeter and F5 mid-woofer used in the original M1. However, rather than to build a crossover from scratch, I used the Dayton 2-way cross over at 3500 Hz. The box I used was a reclaimed cabinet from a Jamo C403, reusing only the terminals. The speakers in this Jamo model are flush mounted with the front surface so I was force to rough cut slots for both the tweeter and woofer to fit (some day, I hope to transfer this setup to a new cherry finished cabinet from Dayton). In conclusion, I did not use the best methods (used box), and an off the shelf crossover, but the final product sounds better than it probably should have. My desire was to have a better sounding small monitor sized speaker than was typically available for the investment, and to that end I was successful.
    DPL, that's great that you got your feet wet in this hobby. Welcome to the board. It's good to hear that you're enjoying your creation.
    Regards, Robert.

Comment

dlsbobby: Thanks. I have some more finished projects, but I really wanted to see how well the crossover worked with the two drivers. Other post said they required work on the crossover to sound their best, but the Dayton crossover worked quite well. With a lot of years with audio equipment, the sound seems to be very flat without any noticeable peaks and valleys. I haven't done any frequency test, and may not unless I replace the cabinet with those really nice looking curved ones from Dayton.

Comment

Go

I'ts good to listen to something that you built isn't it. my very first build used rat shack drivers and a prebuilt xover so i know where you're coming from.

when you feel up to it, maybe try to put together the swan's crossover version to compare an off the shelf to custom design. until then, enjoy the music. by the way what internal volume did your boxes have?

here are the original and upgraded versions of the Swans design. V.2 will be the better option.

david
        ________
        Body Science
        Attached Files
        Last edited by blue934; 04-11-2011, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I think putting that xo together, then tweaking from there, is a very good idea. You should do that.

That said, I'm with Blue. My first "build" was a rework of some boxes with Rat Shack drivers and off-the-shelf xo. Sounded way better than it probably had any right to.

Mark
          You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
            I think putting that xo together, then tweaking from there, is a very good idea. You should do that.

That said, I'm with Blue. My first "build" was a rework of some boxes with Rat Shack drivers and off-the-shelf xo. Sounded way better than it probably had any right to.

Mark
            how many of us lol? Realistic 40-1011A, the Dome tweeter (40-1384 maybe?) and the 2-way crossover. Yes, way better sounding than it should have, and I wouldn't mind going back in time to hear it.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Ooops, 40-1276
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by blue934 View Post
                I'ts good to listen to something that you built isn't it. my very first build used rat shack drivers and a prebuilt xover so i know where you're coming from.

when you feel up to it, maybe try to put together the swan's crossover version to compare an off the shelf to custom design. until then, enjoy the music. by the way what internal volume did your boxes have?

here are the original and upgraded versions of the Swans design. V.2 will be the better option.

david
                Where did they V2 x-over originate from?
                A mains
                The Ventures
                Open Invit8tions
                RSR
                Sound Troopers
                Acorns
                DGBG's
                The Monuments

Comment

Go

it is the version in the present kit. don't know when it was implimented but i believe it was in the speaker in 2003 when 'The Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity' did a review. both versions are from Swans.

david
                  ________
                  TUBE 8
                  Last edited by blue934; 04-11-2011, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I can say from experience, that the RT1C-A needs that contour filter in there to flatten it out. The first version probably lacks a bit of the top-octave or air.
                    I used a steep contour on it for the Attitudes with a 25 ohm and a 0.68uF cap- that worked out VERY well.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Re: My Speaker Test Bed

About a year ago I bought heavily discounted Jamo E680 speakers which had a beautiful apple/cherry finish, arc shaped (curved) in rear. However, the insides left a whole lot to be desired. Since that time I've modified the cases with the drivers and crossover shown below, and really raised several levels the quality of sound. I'm still not totally satisfied, and may replace the tweeter with planar.

Tweeter: Morel CAT 408
                      Midrange: 1)Dayton RS100-8 4" (Did not have enough output to match the other speakers.
                      Midrange: 2)Peerless GFC HD 4" (has plenty of giddy up and very clean)
                      Woofers (2): HiVi M8A
                      Dayton 3 way: XO3W 375/3000

It is without a doubt the most accurate speakers I've ever owned, but nothing I've heard puts out the low end the big HiVi's do. I haven't used a subwoofer since I finished them for music.

I've put the url to the Google homepage where the picture is located, because the picture attachment never works. Just click on "view" once you are at the site.

http://sites.google.com/site/dplcobb...aker-adventure
                      Last edited by DPL; 10-16-2010, 08:38 AM. Reason: Add direction on seeing pic.

Comment

Go

the HiVi m6 and m8's are a couple of the sharpest looking drivers available today, i think.
                        i love the legs on those cabinets.

david
                        ________
                        PERMANENT LIFE INSURANCE FORUM
                        Last edited by blue934; 04-11-2011, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blue934 View Post
                          Go

david
                          ________
                          Body Science
                          And ? Does it sound better with the XO filter on the right side ??

Comment

Working...
                          X