Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap 2-way DIY PA speaker with Dayton PA255-8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cheap 2-way DIY PA speaker with Dayton PA255-8

    Hey guys, any ideas on what to pair with Dayton's PA255-8 to make a cheap 2-way PA speaker? Something that gets the job done without sounding too awful.

    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-030

    Also, does anyone know if PE is going to offer a version of this for 10" drivers?

    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-325
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

  • #2
    Re: Cheap 2-way DIY PA speaker with Dayton PA255-8

    Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
    Hey guys, any ideas on what to pair with Dayton's PA255-8 to make a cheap 2-way PA speaker? Something that gets the job done without sounding too awful.

    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-030

    Also, does anyone know if PE is going to offer a version of this for 10" drivers?

    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-325
    You should post this in the "Flex your PCD mettle" thread. You're looking for an "Econowave" variant, and that's the thread with the answers.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51


    95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Cheap 2-way DIY PA speaker with Dayton PA255-8

      Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
      You should post this in the "Flex your PCD mettle" thread. You're looking for an "Econowave" variant, and that's the thread with the answers.
      Thanks Pete. The focus of that thread looks slightly different - flat response, at the expense of lower efficiency and a more complex x-over. I'm prepared to sacrifice a bit of smoothness in the response for a simpler, cheaper x-over and overal cheaper build. This is likely going to be driven via a DriverRackPA , so active EQ's on tap to sort out small FR anomalies.
      Brian Steele
      www.diysubwoofers.org

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Cheap 2-way DIY PA speaker with Dayton PA255-8

        I'm thinking about combining the PA255 with this horn/CD combo which I also received. This is the Eighteen Sound XD120 which sells for about $30 each.

        http://yhst-93643794936312.stores.ya...p00004700.html

        That would make for a heck of a budget Ewave combo.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Cheap 2-way DIY PA speaker with Dayton PA255-8

          Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
          Also, does anyone know if PE is going to offer a version of this for 10" drivers?

          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-325
          10" fits perfectly recessed in the opening with and adapter board on the back side.


          Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
          Thanks Pete. The focus of that thread looks slightly different - flat response, at the expense of lower efficiency and a more complex x-over.
          Pretty hard to get less complex than EconoWave crossovers when using compression drivers for the HF....

          Comment

          Working...
          X