• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release of Ultimate Equalizer V1.0 program

Dear All,

I would like to announce, that Bodzio Software Pty. Ltd. has released new
    product, called Ultimate Equalizer (UE) for WinXP. User Manual for this
    product is provided courtesy of John Kreskovsky of Music and Design, who
    also collaborated in some of the development of this program. Several months
    back, there were discussions on this board about the need for such a software. I was encouraged by those comments, because at that time, the UE has already been under development. It's great to see, that many of SE users are also on the fore-front of the digital audio developments.

The UltimateEqualizer is a much enhanced, and completely free-standing
    version of the UE built-into SoundEasy V17. The stand alone UE consists of
    the following main blocks:

1. MLS measurement system with full post-processing.
    2. Importing SPL/Phase from other measurement systems.
    3. Diffraction modelling function.
    4. Driver File Editor function for HBT application.
    5. The Ultimate Equalizer Module, comprising of all necessary functions for
    building and equalizing up to 4-way system.

The UE includes inverse-HBT equalization, time-inverse processing that
    eliminates phase distortion, crossover filtering, and partitioned
    convolution. Equalization of the individual drivers' response to the user
    specified acoustic target is performed automatically with the click of a
    button. The outcome is a transient perfect speaker system with flat
    amplitude and phase responses that faithfully reproduces any input signal
    relative to the design point, as demonstrated by the ability of the speaker
    system to play undistorted square waves. Shelving and notch filters are
    included to voice the speaker to other than ruler flat response and the
    time-inverse processing and be switched on or off as desired. Recommended
    sound card is MME/WDM compatible 2-in/8-out sound card.

Many functions will look familiar to SoundEasy users, but you will find them
    simplified, with better GUI. This stand-alone, fully self-containing program
    includes ALL functions that you need to create a "DSP-on-PC" system.

There will be demonstrations of the UE conducted at Iowa and NE DIY events
    this month (October).

This program is available exclusively to SoundEasy users for only $USD25.00.
    (Please note, that the nearest competition product costs $USD150, and does
    not include MLS measurement system, diffraction modelling nor the
    inverse-HBT equalization).

I have partially updated my website to reflect this release. Final version
    of the Manual will be available within a couple of days, and if you need
    something to start you up, I can email you preliminary version made by John.

Finally, thank you for your past comments related to this subject. They were
    most helpful.

Best Regards,
    Bohdan

Re: Release of Ultimate Equalizer V1.0 program

Originally posted by bohdan View Post
    Dear All,

I would like to announce, that Bodzio Software Pty. Ltd. has released new
    product, called Ultimate Equalizer (UE) for WinXP.
    I hate to break it to you, but WinXP is no longer supported by MS. Why release a new product for an OS that's over 10 years old?

Comment

Originally posted by mintos View Post
      I hate to break it to you, but WinXP is no longer supported by MS.
      I just ran Windows Update on my XP SP3 install and it's fully supported by MS

Comment

I installed and uninstalled win 7 several times and went back to XP 3. I got tired of having to fight win 7 to do anything usefull. I call it WinCan"t. Currently running Google Chrome Canary which is much faster than IE 8 and probably 9.
        Ted
        I was tired and got tired again so now I am Re tired.

Comment

Originally posted by mintos View Post
          I hate to break it to you, but WinXP is no longer supported by MS. Why release a new product for an OS that's over 10 years old?
          actually it's xp with sp2 that's no longer supported. xp with sp3 is supported for a couple more years. Has to be that way. Most businesses skipped vista and are only now slowly migrating to 7. Seven is better, but I'm waiting for sp1 and 2.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=208800494

I'm sure Bohdan is working on maximizing compatibility with 7 slowly, but most of us are still using xp or (aaaack, vista! right now) so this isn't a big deal.

I for one think this is totally cool, already sent Bohdan my cash, and am waiting...

For those of you that don't know, this is a very powerful digital xover simulator. You can eq a driver flat, correct phase, and pretty much pick any combination of slopes etc. It should be able to generate a tour de force electronic system.

I'm hoping to "ascend," to move beyond the earthly restrictions of passive xovers...

Think of how cool this is.

Build a three way box.

On the fly compare xover topologies with the drivers eq'd flat. Compare phase shifts. All pretty much instantly.

Sorry I sound like a shill, but I've already got my newegg wish list set up for building a new media pc.

If I could only get my xonar DX to play along with SE...
          audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

Not much time right now to look into this but is it kind of like the Loudspeaker Allocator?

http://www.thuneau.com/allocator.htm

I also have an Asus Xonar, but the D2X version. I purchased the aforementioned software and sound card about 2 years ago but haven't had a chance to play with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132005

Comment

Originally posted by christianb View Post
              Not much time right now to look into this but is it kind of like the Loudspeaker Allocator?

http://www.thuneau.com/allocator.htm

I also have an Asus Xonar, but the D2X version. I purchased the aforementioned software and sound card about 2 years ago but haven't had a chance to play with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132005
              I don't want to compare to the Thuneau products. They are good products. But since it came up I would say that the UE is much more powerful, and the crossover development pretty much fully automated. Basically for each band pass the target response is defined by the specification of the type, order and corner frequency of a high pass and low pass filter, and equalization range defining over what frequency the response it to match the target is specified and CLICK, the filter is constructed. Here is a quick screen shot of the design of the woofer filter for a small 2-way. Red is the target, Green the woofer SPL data, violet is the acoustic response of the filtered driver and blue is the response of the filter (called HBT SPL). In this case I set the equalization range for 10 to 8k Hz and the match to the target is "digitally exact" over that range.

And here are some measurements which compare the linear phase system to the same identical system but without phase linearizion, i.e. a conventional LR4 crossover(but with perfectly flat response and phase alignment). The conventional LR4 system is generated using the UE in Eq Amplitude only mode.

The 30 degree off axis impulse for the linear phase system demonstrates something I have been saying for years about linear phase crossover and off axis degradation: At 30 degrees off axis the linear phase system is still more actuate than the conventions LR4 is on axis.
              John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

Comment

Ah, great to see this product has come to life and no longer just a rumor I am eager to find out which MiniITX or smaller system will run this well - and, is it easy to get it to utilize nVidia's CUDA?

I would like to know that at least some effort is being made to ensure that it will work reliably and solidly with Windows 7 (and/or Linux as a free alternative OS) since XP is getting long in the tooth.

Originally posted by tedwilt View Post
                I installed and uninstalled win 7 several times and went back to XP 3. I got tired of having to fight win 7 to do anything usefull. I call it WinCan"t. Currently running Google Chrome Canary which is much faster than IE 8 and probably 9.
                Ted
                Windows XP is a mature product and has been a decent OS all along, unlike many other Windows.

However, even the first release of Windows 7 impressed me, particularly when compared to Vista (I skipped Vista, stuck w/XP + Linux). 7 is what Vista should have been. About the only drawback I've found to 7 is that it really does work better with MORE than 2 GB of RAM. Whereas, with XP I always thought it was silly to bother with more than 512MB of RAM (up until recently). For years 256MB seemed to be a "sweet spot" w/XP - particularly if you're just using it as an office worker type. Pretty much all my PCs except my netbook now have Windows 7 (one reason is that I get it free from my school). XP doesn't even install on one of my newer PCs, it just doesn't support the hardware (I wasted hours and hours trying to get it to work, put 7 on and it's been headache free and the install was a breeze).
                Last edited by critofur; 10-10-2010, 09:38 PM.
                "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

Windows XP SP3 support ends April 2014. I bet Bohdan will have Win7 supported by then
                  Brad
                  piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Originally posted by feyz
                    I quickly read the chapter at SoundEasy website related to the functionality of phase equalization.

I am curious, what is the impulse time length (window) used as "reverse time impulse" operation?

And does the operation still yield correct and accurate results if the system whose phase being corrected has long time constants such that its impulse doesn't stabilize to zero within the time window used for the reverse time impulse?

Any windowing (like Hamming etc) is used against this, if so how does it effect the accuracy?

Where I am coming from is, speakers with their xovers are analog and as so infinite impulse systems. Even though since they all are stable, their impulse responses eventually die out and converges to zero. But depending on which xover topology is used and what kind of peaks and resonances the drivers have, each have different impulse responses that die out at different durations.

The FIR processing is based on finite impulses of the length of the window used for processing. If the system's impulse doesn't die out within the FIRs window length, it will cause inacuracy in output, as far as I can tell.

In theory in analog real time domain a non-minimum phase system requires an unstable system to correct its phase by definition, which makes them not correctable.

The "reverse time impulse" mentioned in the chapter used to correct the phase of the system, to me resembles an unstable sytem's impulse. It is initially zero, as times goes on it keeps increasing its amplitue. But since time window is limited, it then quickly dies out. This makes it stable, since it dies out, even though somewhat suddenly. But this, again to me, looks like the operations are not "exact", but approximations. They probably are very good approximations, as long as the system's impulse response dies out relatively quickly wrt to the filter's impulse time length. And probably for majority of the systems this is very good. But I think it would be good if the limitations of the process should be known, or discussed.

Just my thoughts.
                    Hi Feyz,

I can answer some of the questions but Bohdan did all the coding/algorithm work. My end was on concept and the theory. Bohdan has all the details.

I believe the impulse length is 16384 samples at 48k Hz. This is sufficiently long for any audio related filter.

I don't know exactly what windowing is used.

Zero phase system are not casual because the impulse is symmetric (or asymmetric) about t = 0.0, that is, the impulse extends in negative time. In application it is a simple matter to shift the impulse to the right so that all relevant samples are shifted to positive time. With FIR filters this can be done by adding a simple time delay to the filter kernel. With IIR filters reverse time processing is used. I don't know the details of exactly how Bohdan implemented the filter algorithms other than to say they are based on FIR filters and partitioned convolution. That is to say, I know how the filter transfer functions and impulse responses are obtained. Bohdan took it from there. Reverse time processing is pretty standard stuff discussed in most books on DSP filtering and usually associated with generating linear phase filters using IIR techniques.
                    John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

Comment

Hi Feyz,

I am sure, you understand, that I am not in the position to disclose proprietary details of the algorithms' implementation. However, it all works fine. Please do not take my word for it. The best way to experience the robustness of the processing power of the UE is to equalize just one driver+filter and run a square wave through it. You will see square wave at your test microphone too. IR is 16k long, sampling is 48kHz, and Convolution is partitioned to reduce latency.

The answers you are looking for are in the public domain. I have not re-invented any wheels here. Please review "Digital Signal Processing" by S.W. Smith. This book may still be available free on the internet.

Best Regards,
                      Bohdan

Comment

Working...
                      X