Ckydiy 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ckydiy 2010

Yes to both events, are you going to e-mail your address to us? I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

Rollie

Comment

Ed, if you need any help Friday let me know as I can be up there any time Friday.

Rollie

Comment

I can help out as well if needed. Arriving Friday afternoon.

Robert

Comment

A question for the multitudes: at which motel/hotel are you staying?

Rollie

Comment

We all want your first visit to Frankfort to be an enjoyable one.
            I'd like to offer some observations about navigation through Frankfort...I grew up there. Grinnell Iowa was easy to navigate. Frankfort is something else. Isn't it, Wolf? :D

Frankfort is a river town. "Downtown" is just that, in the valley. The Paul Sawyier Library is within view of the Kentucky river and one of the bridges crossing it. The Library has a steeple and is next to a church with a taller, pointed steeple. They are visible as you near the valley floor. The bridge is an older, steel arch (one of two) and also serves as a useful landmark.

Froste lives on the east side of town, an "uplander", in a subdivision that follows the contours of a rolling landscape, if anything. The subdivision is not laid out grid-fashion.

Get your maps handy. There are some challenges to face in getting from place to place the first time.
            Mongo only pawn in game of life
            ____
            Ed

Comment

Originally posted by edlafontaine View Post
              Frankfort is something else. Isn't it, Wolf? :D

Froste lives on the east side of town, an "uplander", in a subdivision that follows the contours of a rolling landscape, if anything. The subdivision is not laid out grid-fashion.

Get your maps handy. There are some challenges to face in getting from place to place the first time.
              Isn't KY like that everywhere? Lexington is a wagon-wheel, and I can't know but to find one of the outer rings and return where I want to go sometimes. (Don't ask how I found the 'ferry...!) Roads and such are not well marked either. I didn't know I was *to* Frankfort last summer because nothing said so... I had to ask a driver in the adjacent lane to be sure.

And about that Froste non-grid thing- INDEED! It'll take you back out to the road you came in on, so you have to make a second attempt to not miss it, and from the beginning.

Still, I'll be there, and it'll be more familiar than before....
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'll be in on Sat. with Robert in tow. :D
                Tim

Comment

If you mention that you can't find your way in Kentucky, they'll say:

"You ain't from around here, are you?" :p:p:p

See y'all Saturday an' bring the Garmin!!!

Comment

Originally posted by edlafontaine View Post
                    We all want your first visit to Frankfort to be an enjoyable one.
                    I'd like to offer some observations about navigation through Frankfort...I grew up there. Grinnell Iowa was easy to navigate. Frankfort is something else. Isn't it, Wolf? :D

Frankfort is a river town. "Downtown" is just that, in the valley. The Paul Sawyier Library is within view of the Kentucky river and one of the bridges crossing it. The Library has a steeple and is next to a church with a taller, pointed steeple. They are visible as you near the valley floor. The bridge is an older, steel arch (one of two) and also serves as a useful landmark.

A link from bing:
                    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qbz...99&lvl=1&sty=b

Comment

Good luck with the event guys, wish I could be there but my wife would kill me since we're hosting 40 people at our house for Thanksgiving this year ... and I'm sure she'll have a laundry list of weekend tasks that need done. Make sure and post plenty of pics!

I love the Kentucky River Valley BTW. I've camped there twice in the past and think it's just beautiful ... just don't get caught down there during a downpour though!
                      Vapor Audio

Comment

Sorry for waiting so late but I'll be there Saturday. No speakers in tow, just a good time seeing everyone and hearing the designs.

Looks like I'll probably have to take off after lunch as family plans continue to shift around. We'll see.

See you all in a few days!
                        Clark B.

Comment

Big News: I will have Ed's "Best in Kentucky" Pizza at the CKYDIY GTG Friday night. So hope everyone comes ready to have some good eats.
                          Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Froste View Post
                            Big News: I will have Ed's "Best in Kentucky" Pizza at the CKYDIY GTG Friday night. So hope everyone comes ready to have some good eats.
                            Sweet! I love pizza! :D
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

CKDIY 2010 Request:

Ed/All: would it be possible to run a short tweaking session on the Metropolis 3 ways? This is a 10" woofer 3 way using Peerless Genelec Buyout (830634), Seas H998 4.5" NHT buyout midrange, and Vifa XT25SC90 tweet.

We have had a tough time coordinating adjustment/tweak time due to my insane travel schedule, distance between Lou and Berea, and Ed's new job. I have a revised XO that I'll be putting together Saturday AM (thank you to Dan for the XO jig!) and that will be ready for a listen, but would love to get group inputs and get some feedback.

I will provide FR plots that show what components change what portion of the FR curve, and would like to run through midrange and tweeter tweaks (primarily either no BBC or some BBC, overall mid and tweeter level, etc.) It may take a little more time but it would be great to get an audience's inputs, since that is more or less the final tweak (group acceptance).

There may be some educational value in this also

PS: Ed F - you can add project Metropolis to the list. Cheers / Robert

Comment

I will still be coming unless something dramatic happens. UK's will be out in car unless you think they should come in. Nothing but very basic (piezo tweeters) but I had fun making them. Bengals will not be done in time. I look forward to what the advanced builders bring (thats all of you). One day I hope to be on your level. If anyone has the chance to see the capital I recomend it.

Comment

Working...
                                X