Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After a week of thought- My Iowa thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After a week of thought- My Iowa thoughts...

Originally posted by DDF View Post
    Don't think you have to. With a long mic cord, a PC based measurement system at the side and a mic on a boom stand, just move the boom in front at 6' away, take a quick measurement, that's it. It would take less than a minute per speaker.

Results could be posted both quasi anechoic above 250 Hz, and "in room" (albeit one location) to get a hint of low end reach, but that's more than good enough and the effort is minimal.
    Could be done. Would add ~30 minutes to the show. I agree that it could be quick as well. Ideally, we'd all have the same axis of design height off the floor - then we could leave the mic in place. Ok, new rules in Iowa 2011! Ha, not likely. That said, if there is interest, I could bring my setup (SE, laptop, external soundcard, amp, cal'd mic, 15-20' mic cable, and stand) out and we could still have Dennis (not to speak for him) in the back room for more advanced testing.

Comment

Treble and brass seem to be the topic of the moment. That has been on my mind regarding the E-Waves.
      I have had this conversation already with some of you. I think my bias may run toward the "hot" side. Blame that on growing up with my father's trumpet playing and The American Legion drum & bugle corp.
      I also support Pete's observation regarding variations in response within the room. I must have been in a null zone when listening to a speaker that is getting real good reviews. It has stuck with me that I couldn't come to the same conclusion.
      So, weigh in here and inform me what you heard in the voicing of the 'Waves "in that range". Or any other observation regarding the sound...
      Mongo only pawn in game of life
      ____
      Ed

Comment

Re: Hmmm, flat brass?

I thought the sound of the brass odd from you, considering you usually pick great symphonic pieces, and the speakers usually play them realistically. That is what I was referring to, not your selections as they were.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Jeff-
          I will admit that yours have been among the better implementations of those tweeters for me, with the nod towards the larger of the kits.

They are definitely not splashy or such, but neither is the RS28a- and I like it a lot more than the SB's. So far, 'natural' has not been the word I'd use to describe the SB dimples, but I guess I'm the minority here. That does not mean they don't do a lot right, but to me, they are just lacking a bit. I know I've touched on my thoughts for certain tweeters before, so I'll stop here before totally derailing the thread, but it seems I've been rather picky lately...

Later,
          Wolf
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I must agree with Wolf. I worked on implementing the SB29 in a derivative of the TzuJan and decided to set them aside far the time being. They just did not satisfy, even though they measured pretty darned well. Tweaking did not get me anywhere. I concluded they just aren't as nice as the Vifa D26NC55's in the TzuJans. Lifeless might describe it.

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Jeff-
            I will admit that yours have been among the better implementations of those tweeters for me, with the nod towards the larger of the kits.

They are definitely not splashy or such, but neither is the RS28a- and I like it a lot more than the SB's. So far, 'natural' has not been the word I'd use to describe the SB dimples, but I guess I'm the minority here. That does not mean they don't do a lot right, but to me, they are just lacking a bit. I know I've touched on my thoughts for certain tweeters before, so I'll stop here before totally derailing the thread, but it seems I've been rather picky lately...

Later,
            Wolf

Comment

So- "We're" the minority then? :D:p
              Heh,
              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Apparently so!:p Anyways, we all hear music differently. Not only that, we have different expectations of how particular music and particular instruments "should" sound, not to mention what types of music we prefer. I definitely would not say the SB neo dimple dome tweeter is the "best" of (write in here whatever seems appropriate). It was more difficult to get right than expected, with "right" being defined by my ears, but I certainly do like it as now implemented in the Sonatellos.
                Paul

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                So- "We're" the minority then? :D:p
                Heh,
                Wolf

Comment

If I get a vote, I vote Cantilenas.

Comment

thank your wolf. the tweeter was indeed a bit hot. dennis confirmed that the tweeter was about 2db high. this morning i brought the solder rig to the livingroom and replaced the 2ohm with a 3ohm. much better. for stereo, in my living room with my new newcastle sherwood cd/dvd player, they play very clean. i know it seems a bit bass-akwords but, next up is a 2-way mtm for my boss and then a cc and then a two-way tower for next year.
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      thank your wolf. the tweeter was indeed a bit hot. dennis confirmed that the tweeter was about 2db high. this morning i brought the solder rig to the livingroom and replaced the 2ohm with a 3ohm. much better. for stereo, in my living room with my new newcastle sherwood cd/dvd player, they play very clean. i know it seems a bit bass-akwords but, next up is a 2-way mtm for my boss and then a cc and then a two-way tower for next year.
                      I'm going to try and get those tweeters on the baffle tomorrow, Arlis.
                      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

thanks john.
                        i neglected to mention; i used a metal bypass cap on each cap. a .o1 on the small ones, a .1o on the big ones. i did not have a chance to a/b. the large values are the electroyitic and the smaller ones are metalized poly and the bypass are film and foil poly.
                        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Thanks Wolf for your opinion. I was hoping for more opinions, even if they were different, It gives us something to think about.
                          Tim

Comment

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by the reaction my little speakers received. Thank you all for your kind words.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

The debate between Pauls and Maynards design...I Vote for the Malbatellos.

And Junior, the Tweeter color? Really? :rolleyes:

Marty

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                                If I get a vote, I vote Cantilenas.
                                +1 for the Cantilenas.
                                ...Paul, you really didn't mean to get this started did you? :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                                X