Official DIYMO-STL Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official DIYMO-STL Thread

Well, DoubleTap and I were talking on the way back from Iowa about having a DIY in STL, and after all the recent buzz amongst the MO guys, he's decided to go ahead and host a gathering.

Shooting for Feb 26th, 2011. He's going to have 3 listening areas set up, one on each floor, with a new, dedicated basement listening area.

Probably 20 systems will be the only limit, as the clock will be absent. Perhaps the first midnight DIY for the die hard speaker geeks.

Details will be coming as the event approaches.

Mark your calendars MO guys. This one's for you!!!!

:D
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Re: Official DIYMO-STL Thread

thats cool guys. maybe evilskillet will have his cabs painted by then.:D
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      thats cool guys. maybe evilskillet will have his cabs painted by then.:D
      Doubtful, but even if I do they'll still sound the same ;)

Count me in tho I don't know if I'll have anything interesting to bring other than either the WGs again or my Microbes, even if not if there is room I'd like to come watch.

Comment

Woohoo! I'm looking forward to it already!

What I'm envisioning - there won't be a fixed schedule or set time for each speaker. With 3 rooms setup in which to listen, I figure there will be plenty of time for people to listen to a certain speaker as long as we like. Each room will be on a different floor of the house, so noise pollution from one room to another should be minimized.

The basement will be a dedicated audio room, 23x15' with lots of room treatments. I'll probably have my Quad AV15 subwoofer setup done in this room that we can turn on/off along with anything being played. Seating should be around 6-10 people.

The main floor is about 18x12' with good wall treatments, but is somewhat open to other rooms. Still a nice sounding area that should seat 3-6 people.

The upstairs is a spare bedroom now, but I'll move the bed out and setup small systems in there. I'll probably have Pete bring his room treatments for this room, and it'll likely use his PCeiver. I think it's 15x12 and should seat 3-4.

I haven't even told my wife about this yet, but I'm sure she'll be a gracious host. She loves to cook as long as you all make sure to compliment her cooking ;) I imagine we'll just leave a pot on the kitchen counter that you can throw a few bucks into if you feel like it.

Other than that, I encourage everyone to bring beer or whatever your poison may be ... I want this to be a laid back, fun event.

So lets start the suggestions!
        Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
          Doubtful, but even if I do they'll still sound the same ;)

Count me in tho I don't know if I'll have anything interesting to bring other than either the WGs again or my Microbes, even if not if there is room I'd like to come watch.
          Bring the Microbes if you don't want to lug the big cabs around again. MO guys get priority this time around.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Cool! I'll definitely try to be there but I have only built kits. No designs of my own. Would be nice to hear some other designs.

Comment

As far as what I'll have here, let's see ...

I'll have a pair of the Cirrus of course - CNC cut cabs with RAAL 70-20XR and Audio Tech C-Quenze 18H52.

I'll have my MTM Usher 9848a/RS28F in a MCM waveguide done, same CNC cut cabinets as the Cirrus just in a larger MTM form factor. I'm thinking of calling this one Nimbus.

I'll have the Hi-Vi D6.8 and Tang Band 28-537SH 2-way with ambience tweeter design that I just took to Iowa.

There will be a new incarnation of the Big Red Waveguides that I took to Indiana. They're a Seas W22EX open baffle and Scan AirCirc in a custom 10" waveguide ... right now they have no bottom end, but my hope is to build a bass bin with dipole (front/rear) firing woofers each with their own CNC cut transmission line. I'm thinking Seas L26ROY's, 2 per side.

Right now I have a RS180/RS28a MTM in PE 1 cu/ft cabs, but will probably rebuild it before the show with a Peerless 830884 and Morel Supremo 110.

And with proper motivation I can build just about anything you can imagine. I have a Madisound satellite warehouse in the basement, so maybe I should list what drivers I have an take requests for a speaker to build for the show :D
              Vapor Audio

Comment

Cool, i think...

being in KC, i think the Iowa diy was actually closer....

I am a tentative for it, since our company performs its yearly disaster recovery exercise right around the last week of Feb, first week of March
                My projects
                https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

I am with you Killa, I only have other peoples designs. I would still love to attend and if we have the room I can bring a buddy of mine, If no room I will leave him home.

Count me in :D!

Comment

I do have one design no one else has heard, although its not mine.

I do believe I am the only builder of JKims 2009 black friday special.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...36&postcount=1

Other builds are Overnight Sensations, Tritrix MT, Golden Boys, and my current project, RSS390 15" sealed sub, which will be making noise this week.
                    My projects
                    https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

Originally posted by ckmoore View Post
                      I do have one design no one else has heard, although its not mine.

I do believe I am the only builder of JKims 2009 black friday special.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...36&postcount=1

Other builds are Overnight Sensations, Tritrix MT, Golden Boys, and my current project, RSS390 15" sealed sub, which will be making noise this week.
                      I sure hope you can make it. You know, picking a date on a whim will inevitably lead to conflicts. Hopefully, it's far enough out you can make arrangements. Should be a lot of fun.

Comment

I think I'll have to be a *no* on this one. My B-day is the 24th, and wife's the 27th, so that is a busy weekend anyway.

Maybe next time,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

It stinks everyone is so far away from where I live.
                          Thanks ,
                          JB

Comment

Originally posted by DjDisturbed View Post
                            It stinks everyone is so far away from where I live.
                            The Central Kentucky DIY ain't too far, and it's at the end of November.

Comment

Hey Pete,
                              What if you were born in MO., but live in TN., does that count? :D
                              Bring the Microbes if you don't want to lug the big cabs around again. MO guys get priority this time around.

Comment

Working...
                              X