Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone listened to the Yg Acoustics stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone listened to the Yg Acoustics stuff?

A lot of people think the Yg Acoustics speakers are the bees' knees. That said, they look pretty conventional, and impressive frequency response specs aside, aren't anything out of the ordinary. Are they really that good?

Re: Has anyone listened to the Yg Acoustics stuff?

They cost over $100k and are made from ballistic-grade aircraft aluminum with 2" thick baffles IIRC.
    So they have that going for them.

cheers,

AJ

Comment

I take pot shots at mine all the time. Had to whip out the Barret .50 to dent the bastards.
      I am trolling you.

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
        A lot of people think the Yg Acoustics speakers are the bees' knees. That said, they look pretty conventional, and impressive frequency response specs aside, aren't anything out of the ordinary. Are they really that good?
        Yes, I have heard them several times at trade shows. They do sound very very nice. Nowhere near 100k+ nice though, IMHO. What you have there are a bunch of fairly expensive (and allegedly modded) Scanspeak drivers mounted into a VERY expensive aluminum cabinet, which is where the $$ comes in.

I agree 100% with what they are trying to do from a design perspective in their most expensive full-range models: 2-way passive monitor atop an active subwoofer, which can then be tailored to any given room in the bass department. That's exactly how my best DIY designs are laid out.

So yes, they are very good, but its nothing that stood out to me as being even remotely worth the insane prices they are charging. Much of their great sound in my experience is attributed to the drivers they are using---the Scanspeak stuff is great!

Comment

I've heard them a few times at RMAF. They are quite neutral and transparent, but still nothing that stands out enough to come close to justifying their cost. There are plenty of $10-$15K speakers that equal or beat them ... I personally think they're kinda ugly too.
          Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
            I've heard them a few times at RMAF. They are quite neutral and transparent, but still nothing that stands out enough to come close to justifying their cost. There are plenty of $10-$15K speakers that equal or beat them ... I personally think they're kinda ugly too.
            Your just mad cause you can't shoot through them:D

Comment

I'm curious - what did you think was better?

I was hoping to build a pair of knockoffs, as I've managed to acquire the parts.

Comment

Aluminum BTW machines very well with carbide tools. One could rout or re-saw on the table saw with proper blade. So, something like YG could be DIYed for a few thousand $ not 10th of thousands.
                http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                  Aluminum BTW machines very well with carbide tools. One could rout or re-saw on the table saw with proper blade. So, something like YG could be DIYed for a few thousand $ not 10th of thousands.
                  If one uses wood for the sub enclosure, not even that - by my estimates, it's about $200-$250 worth of aluminum for both cabinets, possibly less if I can use scraps or remainders.

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                    If one uses wood for the sub enclosure, not even that - by my estimates, it's about $200-$250 worth of aluminum for both cabinets, possibly less if I can use scraps or remainders.
                    ehhhh I don't know about $250. Aluminum isn't cheap and you'd need quite a bit of it to do the enclosures. All I am saying, if one want's to have an solid aluminum speakers, it's quite possible.
                    http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...d=76&top_cat=0
                    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I was using 1/4" aluminum for the sides, back, and top, and 1/2" for the baffle. Onlinemetalstore.com is quite affordable - though, to be fair, my price doesn't include shipping.

Comment

I personally think they're kinda ugly too.
                        Ya think!? :eek: Gah- they iz UGGALEEE!!! :(

Those grilles just ooze- TACKY!!

Not ever will I clone those...aesthetically anyway.
                        Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Why is aluminium considered a good material for a speaker cabinet (I can see the marketing appeal)?

Comment

It's way more dense than MDF, that's for sure - and doesn't weigh as much as other metals.

Personally, I'd go straight for cast iron :D
                            I am trolling you.

Comment

CNC-machined from solid slabs of aircraft-grade aluminum and also be a multi-layered construction????

Comment

Working...
                              X