Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Ecowave has the best sound for HT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Ecowave has the best sound for HT?

Originally posted by cdy21792179 View Post
    Well that kinda makes the HO version not worth considering if the the LF version sounds even a tad better. Do you remember about how much the CD is attenuated in the LF version. I'm hoping they're at least 94dbs or greater.

That really sucks about the Waveguides. It really is odd that with all of the attention the econowaves are getting in so many forums, they aren't in the Parts express DIY speaker section. Hopefully parts express will give them the attention they deserve soon.
    No, it's closer to 91dB/2.83V. A 100W amp will make it play really loud.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
      Best I can offer is that Deluxe is my favorite, thus far. We've gotta get Parts Express stocking the QSC 152i waveguides, tho. I have written my sales rep, and request that others do so, as well....
      Maybe post a thread for the admins to read as well. After all, with so many views and such high interest, carrying a clone of the 152i would certainly help move more of the drivers involved.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by cdy21792179 View Post
        Well that kinda makes the HO version not worth considering if the the LF version sounds even a tad better.
        I dunno; there's some potential that the midbass and midrange of HO might be better. Three of us A/B'd them in ZilchLab (not a critical listening environment) and nobody heard any substantial differences, including the owner of the HOs....

Comment

Originally posted by edlafontaine View Post
          Writ LARGE to make the point. This is what happens to vertical polar plots due to an axisymetric (round) waveguide. The center to center distance gets so large that the balance across the spectrum is lost. The same holds true for the "mummy" cabinet.

http://www.princeton.edu/3D3A/Direct...pecVerDown.jpg
          Ed, you have more info on the why this would be the case with the Mummy Cabinets (I have them on order)? The waveguides in those are OS Waveguides so they would have very similar polars to what Geddes does with his Abbey designs.

CTC issues can be minimized with XOs too so we can move those issues out of the listening window, no ??

btw, Geddes says that the Nathan speaker used in the Pricenton research paper was an older model. I really do like that research paper though, it definitely proves what we have been saying about directivity and its importants.

Comment

Yes, very difficult to come by anymore, probably due to the interest in the Econowave variants using that WG. It's a proprietary QSC part, and now they're requiring a valid serial number to purchase a "replacement" part. That's why Zilch is pushing folks to contact PE to have Dayton make a copy or have PE supply the QSC part.
            If we could get Dayton to copy the QSC part then maybe Dayton can create and OS Waveguide? Since I have always thought the OS shape is the ultimate waveguide shape. A 15" OS waveguide would be a great addition to the DIY world.

As for contacting PE?? Do we just use the Part Express general contact webpage or is there a more specific email we should use?

I know I have 4 individuals still on AVS insterested in pairs of QSC 152i waveguides so there is still lots of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by killersoundz View Post
              http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=270-312

Anyone ever mess with that? I bought a pair of 10" ones I was going to goof around with and never got to it.
              I have the 12" version with the D220, screw on version.

I didnt like it as much as I liked the Celestion 1425 / QSC HPR-122i waveguide.

Also out of all the waveguides/CDs I own the Dayton round 12"/ D220 was the worst sounding in my subjective tests. The D220 does not have the greatest CSD either.

Comment

Originally posted by penngray View Post
                Ed, you have more info on the why this would be the case with the Mummy Cabinets (I have them on order)? The waveguides in those are OS Waveguides so they would have very similar polars to what Geddes does with his Abbey designs.

CTC issues can be minimized with XOs too so we can move those issues out of the listening window, no ??
                No. All we can do is steer the forward axis precisely; the height of the usable forward vertical lobe is set primarily by the crossover frequency and center-to-center distance between woofer and waveguide.

You are ignoring Wayne Parham's thesis and the work of others demonstrating this issue both in sims and with actual vertical directivity measurements. Geddes himself has said that he would be building with elliptical OS waveguides if he could develop and produce a workable design, though he'll surely not admit that optimizing the vertical polars is an element in this until it is accomplished. In the meantime, he minimizes the significance of vertical directivity by damping or diffusing the ceiling and floor reflections.

btw, Geddes says that the Nathan speaker used in the Pricenton research paper was an older model. I really do like that research paper though, it definitely proves what we have been saying about directivity and its importants.
                If we could get Dayton to copy the QSC part then maybe Dayton can create and OS Waveguide? Since I have always thought the OS shape is the ultimate waveguide shape. A 15" OS waveguide would be a great addition to the DIY world.
                Only if it's an ELLIPTICAL OS waveguide.... :rolleyes:

Comment

I wonder if the null issue is more important then the HOM, defraction issue.

Im not ignoring any side of the debate, I have read it all and take it in stride (I learned a long time ago that no one is ultimately right, you just have to understand it all and pick your exact requirements). I also think there is a whole bunch of middle ground, I mean some of the lowest cost econo choices absolutely suck to my ears and the 6" Pyle waveguides look like K-mart specials so we all have or own objectives. I require not only quality sound but it has to look higher end. The Abbey's have never had a bad reveiw either so 12" OS Waveguides can be used in a quality build. The guys over in Europe put there 12" waveguide design to the test at some event and again success......there just is a HUGE middle ground here.

Besides that if so many think something like the Pro-10s sound awesome then we know the world of measurements does not always equate to how something sounds or atleast we know there is a huge common ground where things can sound okay if they have clean output for HT.

Comment

I wonder if the null issue is more important then the HOM, defraction issue.
                    They are not mutually exclusive.

Do you see a diffraction device in the 152i waveguide?

Comment

According to Geddes there is ;)

Of course I think its a great waveguide and I was the one that started pushing it 2 years ago.

Still there is something "tech/pro audio" looking about it, that does not fly in some of my rooms. My HT room is fine because its all mine and I could hide them but its too ugly to go in the family room.

Comment

According to Geddes there is ;)
                        According to Geddes, there is diffraction in all of them, including his OS, which he claims minimizes it, is all, but comes with its own baggage. He also wants your money, and plenty of it, by comparison, for the "package."

Aesthetic preferences are another matter; there have been some killer EconoWave builds over the years (by others ;) ). The "Mummy" cabs clearly have "issues" in this respect -- I'd throw a drape of grille cloth over them.... :p

Comment

Yeah, no disgreement here.

I grew up enjoy monkey coffins from the 80s so Im okay with them as long as we update them with > 1" round overs and decent finish (others do that very well).

Comment

Working...
                          X