Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer B2031A vs ER18DXT - which would win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer B2031A vs ER18DXT - which would win?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=248-640

http://www.audioheuristics.org/proje...XT/ER18DXT.htm

vs

Anybody heard both? Would be fun to do a level matched blind listening test... If only I weren't a poor college student :o
    ER18DXT
    69.77%
    B2031A
    30.23%
    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Re: Behringer B2031A vs ER18DXT - which would win?

How many votes do I get...?
    audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

Well, by themselves... I think the 2031As would win... since they're active :D

lol... kidding of course. But to be fair, shouldn't we compare the B2031P?

Comment

Originally posted by markk View Post
        How many votes do I get...?
        I guess Mark is still "undecided" since he hasn't voted yet :p

If you've listened to both you get an extra vote. If you've listened to both in the same room and switched back and forth comparing them you get five votes. If you've done a blind listening test comparing both, you get 25 votes ;)

Well, one thing I can tell you: I bought ER18DXT parts first

Part of the reason for my post was just recently reading the results for that 2009 test which had Linkwitz Orions and the B2031A.

Originally posted by LSV8 View Post
        ...lol... kidding of course. But to be fair, shouldn't we compare the B2031P?
        But who would buy the P, when the A seems like such a good value with that Active goodness?
        "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

I've heard both the Behringers extensively. They do have good balance, but are completely lifeless and flat ... I'd imagine Mark's work would destroy them.
          Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
            I've heard both the Behringers extensively. They do have good balance, but are completely lifeless and flat ... I'd imagine Mark's work would destroy them.
            Sorry for asking such stupid question, but if they're flat(I assume you mean flat FR), how do they sound lifeless?
            Receiver/amp: Onkyo TX-8511 • Pioneer VSX-918V • Fiio E5 • Banzai Cmoy V2
            Cans: Audio-Technica ATH-AD300 • Sony MDR-F1 • Koss Pro DJ 100 • Creative Aurvana Live! •Samson SR850/Superlux 668B • Grado SR-80i
            Portable: Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 200vi & Triple.Fi 10 • Monster Turbine Pro Copper • MEElec M6 & M9
            Speakers: Dayton B652 • M-Audio AV40 w/ 3 x Bravox/Dahlquist 6.5" subwoofer build
            Source: SanDisk Clip+ • Onda VX767LE • Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer • ASUS Xonar DX

Comment

Originally posted by FearSC549 View Post
              Sorry for asking such stupid question, but if they're flat(I assume you mean flat FR), how do they sound lifeless?
              Flat meaning the stage was totally 2 dimensional between the speakers, no ability to reach outside or front/back from those confines ... not meaning flat FR wise.
              Vapor Audio

Comment

Unmodded, I'd say the ER18DXT. Post smart modding, it'd be close but I'd still bet the ER18DXT.

Look at available data:
                ER18DXT:

Slightly modded B2031P"

Hard to say b/c data isn't exactly comparable, but I'd still bet on the 18DXT and I own and enjoy the other.

Dan
                "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
                http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
                http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

Check this out:
                  http://home.provide.net/~djcarlst/SLReport10.05.pdf
                  or the little brother:
                  http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...f-2009-results

Blind listeners have a different opinion. I hate even writing the word "Behringer". Hurts my ears.;)

Here's a "look" at how bad our eyes can fool us--Mr. McGurk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsdyE...eature=related

Just a little something to think about,

Dan
                  "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
                  http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
                  http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

Flat meaning the stage was totally 2 dimensional between the speakers, no ability to reach outside or front/back from those confines ... not meaning flat FR wise.
                    I think this statement is a little too broad and unfounded. The imaging really depends on the config. They are capable of striking imaging but the speaker positioning and listening position to get it there is finicky.

Comment

As Dan posted, If the Behringer speaker can beat the Orion then teh ER18DXT stands little chance ;)

Nice measurements on the ER18DXT!!

Directivity is pretty good and that is very important.

Comment

Experts in that controlled listening test would disagree with your opinion.

I suspect a great deal of expectation coming from the brand name "behringer" destroys any chance you have of making real conclusions outside of a properly controlled tests.

Not arguing about the speaker comparison here but I doubt it would destroy the behringer in a properly controlled listening test.

Another great link from Dan

Here's a "look" at how bad our eyes can fool us--Mr. McGurk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsdyE...eature=related

Audiophiles are the worst at this !!!

Comment

Originally posted by penngray View Post
                          Experts in that controlled listening test would disagree with your opinion.

I suspect a great deal of expectation coming from the brand name "behringer" destroys any chance you have of making real conclusions outside of a properly controlled tests.

Audiophiles are the worst at this !!!
                          I can't understand why the same group of guys has to over and over try and convince others that they don't hear things they think they do.

You'll never convince me Dr Thunder is as good as Dr Pepper even though a blind test may say so.
                          You'll never convince me Brawny is as absorbent as Bounty even though a blind test may say so.
                          You'll never convince me the new Dodge Charger is a good looking car.

Why would you think you can convince me not to trust any of my senses? Seriously guys, it's getting so tired it's not even amusing anymore. Over and over and over again, the same diatribe. I know how well attuned my senses are including hearing, maybe yours simply aren't. Is showing a little discretion by NOT posting the same predictible response really that difficult for you?
                          Vapor Audio

Comment

DId you actually read the link, there are many that disagree with your subjective conclusion, are they all wrong and you are right??

If you think you are very well tuned then by all means do some properly controlled tests and post the results. You posted a stong negative subjective opinion about speakers which general means you are just exaggerating a position to show support for any specific build or brand. Just say you support Mark's speakers (I would too!!).

To think you can trust your senses when the variables (Expectations are the worst variable, remove them at all times) are not controlled shows either complete arrogance or complete ignorance about the whole process.
                            Also, Instead of getting mad every time someone asks for validation why not just prove us wrong once and for all?

As for discretion. Why not show a little discretion in toning done subjective opinion that has zero data for validation behind it? It helps no one when its very different then posted real objective testing. The truth is things are not so different when proper controls are in place during the test.

FWIW, the OP should build the ER18DXT and its has nothing to do with thinking one will beat the other in a subjective listening test.

Comment

Originally posted by penngray View Post
                              DId you actually read the link, there are many that disagree with your subjective conclusion, are they all wrong and you are right??

If you think you are very well tuned then by all means do some properly controlled tests and post the results. You posted a stong negative subjective opinion about speakers which general means you are just exaggerating a position to show support for any specific build or brand. Just say you support Mark's speakers (I would too!!).

Also, Instead of getting mad every time someone asks for validation why not just prove us wrong once and for all?

As for discretion. Why not show a little discretion in toning done subjective opinion that has zero data for validation behind it? It helps no one when its very different then posted real objective testing.

FWIW, the OP should build the ER18DXT and its has nothing to do with thinking one will beat the other in a subjective listening test.
                              You don't get it, what does any 'test' with people other than myself in it have to do with MY hearing? Nothing! What does your listening experience have to do with what I tell you I hear? Nothing!

My subjective opinions have everything that need to be totally validated in my eyes, it's your choice whether you take it or leave it. You don't like subjective opinions, I do ... so why do you think you can bully people into your point of view? I don't tell you to lay off posting results of whatever test, you should tell me how to post either.

There are a few people on here who's subjective opinions I trust, and I appreciate when they have the desire to post it knowing that people like you will do whatever you can to berate them for it. And I'm not going to stop posting my subjective opinions, because I know I've earned the trust of a few as well.

I stand completely behind my statement that both the active and passive version of the Behringers is lifeless and throws a flat soundstage. And I have probably close to 10 hours listening time on them and direct comparison in the same room to a Scan 15W/AirCirc bookshelf that I built.
                              Vapor Audio

Comment

Working...
                              X