Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peerless Genelec Buyout FR and Notes

Folks:

If you bought these and used them as car or home subs, I would strongly suggest using them for a 3 way speaker. They sound real nice and have a lot of oomph. Here is the FR Plot (sealed, 2.3CF, 13.5" baffle). Note that the bit of roll-off shows due to the nearfield + farfield MLS merge and they are quite strong in room but not overpowering

Actual sensitivity is around 88dB at 1Khz.

Here are a couple "starter" XO's for anyone sitting on these.

"Relaxed" BW3 at 300-350Hz (used in Metropolis Project at CKDIY) - by relaxed I mean they are app. 15-17dB/octave, this seemed to sound better.

And the BW3 schematic:

LR2 at 350Hz (played with a bit)

And the LR2 schematic:

Basically, you can do a lot with these and they are likely good to near 1Khz, allowing use of a dome mid and a higher XO freq as well.

Here are the TS Parameters for the 4 Ed and I have:

Stamped frame reminds me of the larger SB frames in shape. No vent in pole piece, inverted dustcap vented through teardrop-shaped cutouts in the cone to above spider. Below are averages of 4 drivers.

AVG RE: 6.58 OHMS
    AVG FS: 29.72 HZ
    AVG QE: 0.65
    AVG QM: 3.89
    AVG QT: 0.56
    AVG ZMAX (FS): 46.03 OHMS
    AVG LE: 0.96 MH
    AVG VAS: 104.5 L
    CONE DIA: 8.25" (CONE + HALF OF SURROUND)
    SD: 345 CM2
    AVG BL: 9.35
    AVG MMS: 46.05 GR
    AVG SENS: 88.1 DB
    AVG % EFF: .408%
    XMAX: 8mm (by spec.)

Notes:
    Fs ran from 28.55Hz - 31.8Hz
    Vas ran from 92.66 L - 110.45 L
    Qts ran from 0.53 - 0.61
    Higher Qts - lower Vas as is normal with samples, etc.

Re: Peerless Genelec Buyout FR and Notes

I like the LR2 option, especially if the woofer is a clean performer. That alignment eases up the midrange duties as it takes care of the baffle step loss suffered by the mid.

Looking forward to hearing the Metropolis in April.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Comment

Cr*p! I wish I'd bought a case or 2 of them! Very comparable to the Peerless 10 in Paul's Tarkus, but at 36.00 each when you buy 4+, seriously nice in price. PE: GET MORE!!!

Cheers / Robert

Comment

That graph looks a lot like mine of the same:

Dan
        "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
        http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
        http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
          Cr*p! I wish I'd bought a case or 2 of them! Very comparable to the Peerless 10 in Paul's Tarkus, but at 36.00 each when you buy 4+, seriously nice in price. PE: GET MORE!!!

Cheers / Robert
          I bought four of them.

I'm using them in my first dipole experiment, 2 per side. I measured one pair individually, then overlayed the measurements. Looks like the same driver measured each time, they were so close.

dlr
          WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
          X