Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Soundproofing Tape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundproofing Tape

What do y'all think?

http://www.tmsoundproofing.com/store...e-2-x-100.html

Probably less expensive stuff available at the Depot but I thought this looked interesting, esp. for the HT room builders.

Cheers / Robert

Re: Soundproofing Tape

Good to stop squeeks, but that's all. It won't impede sound transmission.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Yeah, once you stick a nail or screw through the subfloor or drywall into the joist, it's moot. You've made a mechanical connection which will transfer sound.

The only real way to build a 'soundproof' room is to build a floating floor on rubber and staggered studs with drywall on either side. Or a room within a room.

Comment

Well there may be some advantages being there are still a lot less connection points through the screws then when the whole stud is directly attached to the drywall. Additionally there is some kind of give (resonance) to the whole sheet of drywall being that there is that small bit of foam (whatever it is made out of, wonder how thick it) vs. when it is screwed tightly to the stud. Just my thoughts on it....

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy View Post
          Well there may be some advantages being there are still a lot less connection points through the screws then when the whole stud is directly attached to the drywall. Additionally there is some kind of give (resonance) to the whole sheet of drywall being that there is that small bit of foam (whatever it is made out of, wonder how thick it) vs. when it is screwed tightly to the stud. Just my thoughts on it....
          You would be very surprised to find out how much just one mechanical connection to the stud on an entire wall will transfer the sound to the other side. Using this tape and still having a mechanical connection to the stud with screws along the joints really won't yield any significant attenuation.

The only way is to decouple the two sides of the wall entirely. Easiest way is with staggered stud construction, better way is with two walls entirely. No drywall on the insides though. Or in an existing room you can build false walls and ceiling on a floating floor.

Comment

Question answered

Thank you all - pretty darn expensive, too...

Cheers / Robert

Comment

I'm sure there are many applications from building audio rooms to speakers where this stuff would work well: http://www.homasote.com/products/440-Soundbarrier.aspx

Comment

This stuff might be useful to keep sound from traveling along and between cavities inside a wall, but probably won't change the transmission rating of a wall by much.

Floor squeaks are usually caused by loose fasteners, not lack of a gasket....

Comment

Originally posted by killersoundz View Post
                  You would be very surprised to find out how much just one mechanical connection to the stud on an entire wall will transfer the sound to the other side. Using this tape and still having a mechanical connection to the stud with screws along the joints really won't yield any significant attenuation.

The only way is to decouple the two sides of the wall entirely. Easiest way is with staggered stud construction, better way is with two walls entirely. No drywall on the insides though. Or in an existing room you can build false walls and ceiling on a floating floor.
                  How about using Resilient Sound Clips? Will that give me better results than a staggered stud system? I see the site that Robert pointed to sells a clip called Whisper Clip.
                  http://www.tmsoundproofing.com/store...reen-glue.html

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy View Post
                    How about using Resilient Sound Clips? Will that give me better results than a staggered stud system? I see the site that Robert pointed to sells a clip called Whisper Clip.
                    http://www.tmsoundproofing.com/store...reen-glue.html
                    It certainly won't give you better results than a staggered stud wall but it would be better than a standard wall.

Here's a good little link to look at

http://www.stcratings.com/assemblies.html

Actually I'm wrong, according to them a standard wall with resilient channel on one side and insulation rates decently high. Hmmm

Comment

Hard to know how accurate those STC ratings are as they do not cite any sources. I found these tests that show an actual lab test for each spec.
                      http://www.greengluecompany.com/tran...nLossTests.php
                      They also claim that most RC not using clips get "Short Circuit" so I guess thats another advantage to just sticking to the staggered wall vs. just RC.

Comment

Working...
                      X