Patio Speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio Speaker

I'm hoping I can get a recommendation on what to build to replace my existing patio speakers. One of them is shown in the attached photo. I built these about 15 years ago, and they've held up well. In this position, tucked up underneath the roof overhang, they stay dry. They're radio shack full range speakers in a sealed enclosure. They're "listenable" but I'd really like to have something that sounds better. And I've got some design ideas on how I might make them look like they belong there, too.

The location presents some challenges. They're up against that brick wall, and tucked up there close to the overhang. Also, they broadcast into a wide open area -- see the other photo I've attached.

What I've been looking at so far are some two-ways, like the Overnight Sensations, New Horizons, $55/pair, and Daylum-2-Way. Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Herman Trivilino; 12-18-2010, 08:41 PM.

Re: Patio Speaker

Shortly before Christmas I decided on Paul Carmody's Overnight Sensation. My goal was to make these look like bird houses. I wanted them to look like they belong in a yard where birds hang out.

For a "veneer" I cut pieces from some old cedar fence pickets. The pickets are at least 20 years old and were on a north-facing fence. They've acquired a beatutiful patina. I want to add some perches below the drivers and the port hole to complete the bird house theme. I also want to add some copper or brass drip edge around to roof line to complement the woofer. I searched for something made of copper or brass that I could use as port tubes, but gave up perhaps too soon. I still want to trim out the edge of the port hole with something that'll make it look like a flare made of copper or brass.

These were a uber-WAF project. After seeing them she liked them so much she actually asked if she could hear them!
    Attached Files

Comment

The cabinets were constructed entirely of 3/4 inch MDF. The first photo shows the jig I used to get the sides, bottom, and tops all of precisely the same length.

All bu*t-joint construction, I used gorilla glue. I didn't want a water soluble glue because these are outdoor speakers. The two pieces that form the roof have to be beveled at 45 degrees so they'll mate up with the sides. I joined them first so it would make it easier to hold on to them as I cut the bevels.
      Attached Files

Comment

The third photo shows the sub-assembly consisting of the bottom, sides, and roof. Despite my best efforts to get all the pieces the same length and carefully check that they're flush before the glue-up, they never are flush. I glued a full sheet of 80 grit sandpaper to the work table and sanded the edges flush in preparation for the attachment of the baffle and cabinet back.

The last two photos are an overview of my garage doing temporary duty as a workshop. While I'm working I get to listen to my previous project, the one that Chris Roemer designed for me.
        Attached Files

Comment

Super creative build, Herman!
          Sort of gives new credence to "tweeter"...:D

If they were hanging in my backyard, birds, bees, or bats would be eyeballing that port as a new nesting entrance. Might be worth putting some window screen over that.
          Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
          "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
          Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post

If they were hanging in my backyard, birds, bees, or bats would be eyeballing that port as a new nesting entrance. Might be worth putting some window screen over that.
            Could you imaging not having played them for awhile and having wasps take up home in them. You have a large dinner party, decide to crank up a little music and... well dinners over.

Dan

Comment

The first photo shows the jig I use to make 45 degree cross cuts. Here I'm cutting one of the pieces that will become either the baffle or the back.

The next three photos show the parts and the assembled high pass and low pass filters. I hadn't noticed how big those spring-type input terminals are when I placed the order. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to use them, but it turns out that the huge hole I had to cut in the back to accomodate them makes a good access hole. If ever I have to get back inside the cabinets I could remove them. The hole is large enough that I can put my entire hand through it. If the woofer were removed, I could get both hands inside the cabinet at the same time!

The last photo was taken on a day when it was too cold out in the garage. I brought the baffles inside to glue up the "veneer".
              Attached Files

Comment

ugg!

Comment

The first photo shows the front and back of the baffles. In the third photo I have all the parts hooked up to my receiver for an audition. I left the receiver on all night at a modest volume hoping it would break in the drivers.

When I connected the finished cabinets to the receiver I was very disappointed. They sounded awful. I thought I must have made a mistake wiring up the crossovers. But, the next day they sounded a lot better. I brought them indoors and connected them to my home theater just to see how they compared to my floor standing front speakers. They were improving, but I was still getting shrill highs.

I don't know if it's normal to have to do this much breaking in, but eventually break in they did, and they sound awesome. Their location on the patio is very far from ideal, but nevertheless they are a huge improvement over what we had before.

When I had these in my living room one of my listening sessions was of a blu-ray my daughter had given me for Christmas -- 2001 A Space Oddessey. It has a PCM track, and it is awesome. These speakers gave it their all, faithfully reproducing all the detail.

Thanks to Paul Carmody for this design, and to all the others on this forum who take the time to post their efforts here. I've learned a lot from all of you. So many little pieces of valuable information that it's impossible for me to give credit individually to all of you. I'm sure I'd leave many out by mistake if I tried.

I had a lot of fun building these speakers, and I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor every time I sit out on my patio and listen, or just walk by and look.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, we were even joking that if I added teh perches, it would be an invitation the birds would find too tempeting!

I had inteneded to put a piece of grill cloth or screen over the inside end of the port tube, but forgot to do it before I glued the backs on! I do need to put some screening of some kind of over them.

Comment

Originally posted by saabracer23 View Post
                      Could you imaging not having played them for awhile and having wasps take up home in them. You have a large dinner party, decide to crank up a little music and... well dinners over.
                      Yeah, that'd be a party people wouldn't forget for a long time.

I can feel the air moving through those ports when low notes are playing. That would get those wasps moving, and we have had them nest there up under those eaves in the past. Both my wife and I got stung just last summer.

I need to get off my bu*t and get that screen in there.

Comment

Congrats on a very clever adaptation of Paul Carmody's design. You've inspired me to add speakers to my back patio...
                        Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                        Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                        Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                        Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                        Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                        NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Just when I thought I'd seen it all... :eek:

You did a really great job. Very well-executed. Yet cute at the same time. I hope you don't mind if I post some of your pictures on my site.

Bravo! (Encore! ;))
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                            Just when I thought I'd seen it all... :eek:

You did a really great job. Very well-executed. Yet cute at the same time. Bravo! (Encore! ;))
                            Thanks. "Cute" was my wife's first description.

I hope you don't mind if I post some of your pictures on my site.
                            I'd be honored.

Comment

Beautiful. You have set a new standard for the husbands of the wife's friends to fail to meet. Anyone can spend a $*** on some goofy fake rock speakers...

Now you have to build a subwoofer enclosure. A dog house would seem to me to be quite appropriate. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X