CJD MTM replacement drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJD MTM replacement drivers

I just built the CJD RS150s-8 MTM in September for center channel duty and one of the RS150 drivers is already blown (seems a little strange to me).

Anyways, if someone has one or two RS150s-8's lying around they'd like to sell to me that would sure make my life a lot easier. PM or reply to this thread and let me know.

Re: CJD MTM replacement drivers

I may have an extra one in the garage from when I built my CJD RS150 center channel. I'll check in the morning. If not, I have heard that the new RS series (at least the RS180) are nearly drop in replacements for the old shielded ones.

That is weird that it's already blown though...hmmm, have you actually looked at the woofer to see if it's blown, or does it just sound that way? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. Just trying to maybe save you some heartache...sometimes there can be other issues at work.

-j

Comment

Those phase plug equipped drivers can get little pieces of stuff down inside the voice coil... That can make the driver sound blown when it starts rubbing and buzzing.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

No insult taken...

It starts to buzz around the frequency of male speech, beyond the buzzing I haven't checked anything. The particular driver in question has a small dent in the cone, not sure if that could throw it off somehow. It was also used in a previous speaker that I dismantled to build the MTM.

I don't even know how to physically tell if a driver is blown, I always assumed that if it buzzes then it's blown.

The other driver in the MTM does not have the same buzzing so I don't think it's crossover related.

If I could fix it or do some troubleshooting that would be better than tracking down a new one.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I read a couple of times that using compressed air in the phase plug helps if there is something rubbing. And if it is blown, it wont hurt more...
          My Statement monitors
          My Piccolatas
          My LM3886 amp

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1omo View Post
            I read a couple of times that using compressed air in the phase plug helps if there is something rubbing. And if it is blown, it wont hurt more...
            I'll have to try that, I have some compressed air at home. Although I would say the sound is fuzzy, like static coming through the speaker vs. buzzing noise like something mechanical.

Comment

if you're hearing 'static' more than buzzing, you might have a loose or weak connection (like a cold solder joint or a loose terminal crimp) too. also check oxidation on the speaker wires, which is less likely, but low-cost to check/fix.
              TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

I had an RS 180 that buzzed--appeared to have a weak glue joint at the voice coil former(?). That is all I could see visibly at fault. PE replaced it under warranty. I still have the defective one--thought I might try to glue it someday, but never have.

Marv

Comment

I've also noticed that the fuzzy sound only happens within a certain frequency range and not just below a certain frequency. I'd be glad to replace the driver if I knew the driver was the cause of the fuzziness and not something else. I originally thought it couldn't be the crossover but now I'm uncertain about that since the buzzing is happening at a certian frequency and not just all the time below a certain frequency.

Any ideas?

Comment

It is definitely the driver. Replace it. By a spare as they are NLA. Keep the spare stored in a sealed bag to avoid this problem.
                    Brad
                    piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Guiria , let me know if you are looking for a couple replacements. Im pretty sure I have two available.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas_23 View Post
                        Guiria , let me know if you are looking for a couple replacements. Im pretty sure I have two available.
                        I may be buying a pair from another member, if it falls through I'll PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by Guiria View Post
                          I've also noticed that the fuzzy sound only happens within a certain frequency range and not just below a certain frequency. I'd be glad to replace the driver if I knew the driver was the cause of the fuzziness and not something else. I originally thought it couldn't be the crossover but now I'm uncertain about that since the buzzing is happening at a certian frequency and not just all the time below a certain frequency.

Any ideas?
                          You might check for possible air leaks in the cabinet. I once saw a ported sub enclosure that buzzed through a < 1/8 dia hole when a single screw was left out.

Comment

Working...
                          X