Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Router recommendation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Router recommendation

    I need to buy a router. The primary need is for something to route driver and port holes / recesses. It needs to have excellent dust collection. The maximum budget is $200 or so.

    What I'd like to do is buy a Dewalt DW621, but it's a bit expensive. Any suggestions?

  • #2
    Re: Router recommendation

    Originally posted by Paul Ebert View Post
    I need to buy a router. The primary need is for something to route driver and port holes / recesses. It needs to have excellent dust collection. The maximum budget is $200 or so.

    What I'd like to do is buy a Dewalt DW621, but it's a bit expensive. Any suggestions?
    Save up and buy the Dewalt.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Router recommendation

      I love my DeWalt 621.
      DP

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Router recommendation

        The only thing better than a DW621 is a used DW621 at a great price.

        http://cgi.ebay.com/Dewalt-DW-621-2-...item2eb2597bd4

        Not my auction, BTW.
        "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
        –Robert Wilensky

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Router recommendation

          Honestly, I think the best dust collection system is a system built into a router table. If dust collection is your top priority pick any router and put it into a good table, unfortunately it's not real convenient to route circles on a router table. I seem to recall reading that the dust collection on the Dewalt is mediocre at best, you might want to read up on it before you buy something. I imagine the vac hose would be a nuisance when routing circles anyway.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Router recommendation

            For speaker building, a Porter-Cable 690LRVS variable-speed router with additional plunge base and benchtop router table would be the top recommendation.

            I think having just the Dewalt DW621 is very limiting. The plunge capability is required for cutting holes, the variable speed is wise when using larger-radius roundover bits, the fixed base is needed for flush-trim work, and the table is also needed when working with larger bits, or working with smaller stock. For dust-collection, however, I think you'd need to pick one of the aftermarket units.
            Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often. -- Mark Twain

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Router recommendation

              I bought a Hitachi M12v2 on ebay for under 100 and I am really impressed with the 3+ hp power as compared to the 2hp I use on my circle jig. It handles a 1" roundover really well. It also has integrated dust collection, but I need to test it before I say it works great. I've used it, but my shop vac quit.

              James

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Router recommendation

                Originally posted by Jonathan Anspach View Post
                The only thing better than a DW621 is a used DW621 at a great price.

                http://cgi.ebay.com/Dewalt-DW-621-2-...item2eb2597bd4

                Not my auction, BTW.
                This went on my watch list this morning. I watched some auctions a year ago and they all went up to around $160, at which point I'd rather buy new (best deal I've found for a new one is $200). But, I'll be very interested in where this one ends up and will probably place a bid or two.

                I have a Dewalt DW625 (3 hp) that I use in my router table and for when the power is needed. But my 625 does not have dust collection. The MDF dust gets all over the shop when I route the driver holes which has become unacceptable to me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Router recommendation

                  Originally posted by jcandy View Post
                  ...For dust-collection, however, I think you'd need to pick one of the aftermarket units.
                  I'm not sure what you mean by aftermarket units. Could you elaborate?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Router recommendation

                    Originally posted by jcandy View Post
                    I think having just the Dewalt DW621 is very limiting. The plunge capability is required for cutting holes, the variable speed is wise when using larger-radius roundover bits, the fixed base is needed for flush-trim work, .
                    Not sure why you think a fixed base is needed for flush-trim work. The 621 easily locks secure at any depth and the elec speed control makes cutting/trimming effortless. Where I don't like plunge router is using them on a router table. The springs work really good when the router is upside down.
                    I need to buy a dedicated router for my table and it would also really be nice to have a small laminate router for lighter work.
                    Mark
                    My TriTrix Build
                    My Core 2 Way Build
                    My RSS315HF-4 Subwoofer Build

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Router recommendation

                      You read wrong or the info you read was wrong because the dust collection is very good on the DeWalt 621. I rigged up a vacuum hose suspension in the ceiling rafters in my basement workshop so that the extra long hose I use is above the router, and that added to the swiveling dust port head on the router makes cutting circles no problem.
                      Paul

                      Originally posted by kornphlake View Post
                      Honestly, I think the best dust collection system is a system built into a router table. If dust collection is your top priority pick any router and put it into a good table, unfortunately it's not real convenient to route circles on a router table. I seem to recall reading that the dust collection on the Dewalt is mediocre at best, you might want to read up on it before you buy something. I imagine the vac hose would be a nuisance when routing circles anyway.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Router recommendation

                        I've been promoting an oft overlooked option. The newer Craftsman routers are EXCELLENT!

                        I've had older versions that are door stops, but as of about 2-3 years ago, they started with a manufacturer that seems to make a great product.

                        Look at this.


                        I have the $89 version that has a plate for Excellent dust collection via a standard shop vac. See the photo below for a quick tip on further improving the collection efficiency. I can use this on MDF curring driver port and terminal cup cutouts in my basement shop with virtually no dust loss to the air. I've not seen or heard about a $89 router that works as well. I've had this for 3 years and have cut hundreds of holes - still accurate and my go-to router (I have three total). Maybe the best router for the money - I'm sure I'll get disagreement.



                        Check out my response to THIS thread as well.

                        I don't usually promote a product this strongly, but I believe these to be a strong best-buy. While PorterCable is still a better router, the quality margin is probably less than 10% while the price is greater than 50%.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Router recommendation

                          I've also provided commentary in THIS thread.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Router recommendation

                            I really like my Bosch:

                            http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSP...4190283&sr=8-1

                            I had wanted a Triton (which get rave reviews), but everyone was out of stock when I needed a new router.

                            That Craftsman does look good for the money.
                            It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Router recommendation

                              I have the Bosch 1617 kit as well, and it's very nice. I chose the Bosch over the Dewalt and have never regretted it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X