Router recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router recommendation

I need to buy a router. The primary need is for something to route driver and port holes / recesses. It needs to have excellent dust collection. The maximum budget is $200 or so.

What I'd like to do is buy a Dewalt DW621, but it's a bit expensive. Any suggestions?

Re: Router recommendation

Originally posted by Paul Ebert View Post
    I need to buy a router. The primary need is for something to route driver and port holes / recesses. It needs to have excellent dust collection. The maximum budget is $200 or so.

What I'd like to do is buy a Dewalt DW621, but it's a bit expensive. Any suggestions?
    Save up and buy the Dewalt.

Comment

I love my DeWalt 621.
      DP

Comment

The only thing better than a DW621 is a used DW621 at a great price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dewalt-DW-621-2-...item2eb2597bd4

Not my auction, BTW.
        "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
        –Robert Wilensky

Comment

Honestly, I think the best dust collection system is a system built into a router table. If dust collection is your top priority pick any router and put it into a good table, unfortunately it's not real convenient to route circles on a router table. I seem to recall reading that the dust collection on the Dewalt is mediocre at best, you might want to read up on it before you buy something. I imagine the vac hose would be a nuisance when routing circles anyway.

Comment

For speaker building, a Porter-Cable 690LRVS variable-speed router with additional plunge base and benchtop router table would be the top recommendation.

I think having just the Dewalt DW621 is very limiting. The plunge capability is required for cutting holes, the variable speed is wise when using larger-radius roundover bits, the fixed base is needed for flush-trim work, and the table is also needed when working with larger bits, or working with smaller stock. For dust-collection, however, I think you'd need to pick one of the aftermarket units.
            Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often. -- Mark Twain

Comment

I bought a Hitachi M12v2 on ebay for under 100 and I am really impressed with the 3+ hp power as compared to the 2hp I use on my circle jig. It handles a 1" roundover really well. It also has integrated dust collection, but I need to test it before I say it works great. I've used it, but my shop vac quit.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Anspach View Post
                The only thing better than a DW621 is a used DW621 at a great price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dewalt-DW-621-2-...item2eb2597bd4

Not my auction, BTW.
                This went on my watch list this morning. I watched some auctions a year ago and they all went up to around $160, at which point I'd rather buy new (best deal I've found for a new one is $200). But, I'll be very interested in where this one ends up and will probably place a bid or two.

I have a Dewalt DW625 (3 hp) that I use in my router table and for when the power is needed. But my 625 does not have dust collection. The MDF dust gets all over the shop when I route the driver holes which has become unacceptable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jcandy View Post
                  ...For dust-collection, however, I think you'd need to pick one of the aftermarket units.
                  I'm not sure what you mean by aftermarket units. Could you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by jcandy View Post
                    I think having just the Dewalt DW621 is very limiting. The plunge capability is required for cutting holes, the variable speed is wise when using larger-radius roundover bits, the fixed base is needed for flush-trim work, .
                    Not sure why you think a fixed base is needed for flush-trim work. The 621 easily locks secure at any depth and the elec speed control makes cutting/trimming effortless. Where I don't like plunge router is using them on a router table. The springs work really good when the router is upside down.
                    I need to buy a dedicated router for my table and it would also really be nice to have a small laminate router for lighter work.
                    Mark
                    My TriTrix Build
                    My Core 2 Way Build
                    My RSS315HF-4 Subwoofer Build

Comment

You read wrong or the info you read was wrong because the dust collection is very good on the DeWalt 621. I rigged up a vacuum hose suspension in the ceiling rafters in my basement workshop so that the extra long hose I use is above the router, and that added to the swiveling dust port head on the router makes cutting circles no problem.
                      Paul

Originally posted by kornphlake View Post
                      Honestly, I think the best dust collection system is a system built into a router table. If dust collection is your top priority pick any router and put it into a good table, unfortunately it's not real convenient to route circles on a router table. I seem to recall reading that the dust collection on the Dewalt is mediocre at best, you might want to read up on it before you buy something. I imagine the vac hose would be a nuisance when routing circles anyway.

Comment

I've been promoting an oft overlooked option. The newer Craftsman routers are EXCELLENT!

I've had older versions that are door stops, but as of about 2-3 years ago, they started with a manufacturer that seems to make a great product.

Look at this.

I have the $89 version that has a plate for Excellent dust collection via a standard shop vac. See the photo below for a quick tip on further improving the collection efficiency. I can use this on MDF curring driver port and terminal cup cutouts in my basement shop with virtually no dust loss to the air. I've not seen or heard about a $89 router that works as well. I've had this for 3 years and have cut hundreds of holes - still accurate and my go-to router (I have three total). Maybe the best router for the money - I'm sure I'll get disagreement.

Check out my response to THIS thread as well.

I don't usually promote a product this strongly, but I believe these to be a strong best-buy. While PorterCable is still a better router, the quality margin is probably less than 10% while the price is greater than 50%.

Comment

I've also provided commentary in THIS thread.

Comment

I really like my Bosch:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSP...4190283&sr=8-1

I had wanted a Triton (which get rave reviews), but everyone was out of stock when I needed a new router.

That Craftsman does look good for the money.
                            It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

I have the Bosch 1617 kit as well, and it's very nice. I chose the Bosch over the Dewalt and have never regretted it.

Comment

Working...
                              X