Jantzen CrossCap vs Dayton Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jantzen CrossCap vs Dayton Caps

I'm considering purchasing Jantzen CrossCap capacitors for a DIY tube project. They are relatively inexpensive, only a few cents more than Dayton audio caps.

Has anyone tried Jantzen CrossCap caps? Are they a step up from Dayton audio caps?

Here's a ling to an example: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...Number=027-902

I do not want to spend a wad of money on Auricaps.

Thanks for any opinions!....regards....jim
    Jazz Wine HiFi

Re: Jantzen CrossCap vs Dayton Caps

I find no difference. This is probably not a big jump in quality either for sound or physical characteristics like leads.

Comment

For your application, I can't say really, but for speakers I find them to be smoother than the Daytons.
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I usually get all my caps from ErseAudio. They are good quality caps, most spec out with a 3% tolerance compared with Dayton's 10% and Jantzen's 5%, are priced between the Dayton and the CrossCaps, and they have about 50% more values than either one you mentioned. They have always measured closer than 3% for me. I hate to steer someone away from PE, but Erse is where I get my caps and inductors, and shipping is always very reasonable. I get just about everything else I need for speaker builds from PE.

Chris
        Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

I preferred Nichicon FG electrolytic caps to Daytons in electronics, that should speak volumes.

I don't have experience with Crosscaps in electronics, but Jantzen's budget line was awful too.
          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Crosscaps are okay. Not necessarily better. If you're looking to step things up a notch then ClarityCap SA or ESA from Madisound will give more bang for the buck.

Countdown to deterioration of thread...

Comment

I am open to opinions and preferences on the SQ of electronics parts.

Comment

FWIW- the dayton spec on line and in the catalog all say 10%, but right on the body of the caps it states 5%. This has been wrong since they were introduced, so I don't know why they do not change it. Also- I've never had one be very far off from spec at all, with most being dead-on.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  FWIW- the dayton spec on line and in the catalog all say 10%, but right on the body of the caps it states 5%. This has been wrong since they were introduced, so I don't know why they do not change it. Also- I've never had one be very far off from spec at all, with most being dead-on.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  Thanks for the info. I may have to give them a try.

Chris
                  Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

Tony Gee, humblehomemadehifi.com, had this to say about the Jantzen Caps in his "Cap Test" where the lowest score was 6 and the highest 14.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Tony G. may have a bias towards large, relatively higher rated voltage caps.
                      Download the paper here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/I...showtopic=5828

It's been a popular download but is a bit dated now since he has added more cap reviews since the paper was written early last year.
                      Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Did you notice that if not completely, pretty much across the board, Tony's opinions improve as the price of the caps (or drivers or inductors or what-have-you) increases?! I think his opinion is highly influenced by cost, much like many of the audiophools whom have more money than common sense. Just my opinion, of course.
                        Paul

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                        Tony Gee, humblehomemadehifi.com, had this to say about the Jantzen Caps in his "Cap Test" where the lowest score was 6 and the highest 14.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                          FYI, his tests were done in loudspeakers, not in line level electronics.
                          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                            FYI, his tests were done in loudspeakers, not in line level electronics.
                            Yes, that's true indeed. I was only linking the T.G. paper because he was brought up in another thread.

Here's another review of caps. This time they were evaluated in coupling cap application.
                            http://www.vhaudio.com/21capacitorshootout.pdf
                            Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

There was a post put up by someone that did some testing of caps in a tweeter layout. He used multipule caps on a switcher that allowed immediate changes. There was a group of people with him and as far as I remember it was a blind test. There was the clarity sa, sonicaps, and a few other high dollar ones. The consensus was that there wasn't a huge difference between them but most liked the jantzen cross cap the most, so that's what went into the final crossover.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X