Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OT] Antenna install Q's?

Hi,

Still audio related, but pretty far from the normal fare on this forum. Hey, PE sells antennas, so it's OK, right?

I'd like to install a roof mount antenna, likely for HDTV, preferably for HDTV and FM. HOA CCR's allow for one antenna. But, the roof is made from shake style concrete tiles.

Any thoughts on how to install one of these without it raining in the attic, or otherwise voiding the roof warranty?

I'm torn between a mast/tripod with guy wires vs. an arrangement where I have to drill through tiles and into a joist in the roof. Any experiences out there?

A mast rotator needs to be factored in here. I have one already from a previous house, a Channel Master something or other.

Thanks a bunch for any advice you can provide.

Regards,

Rob

Re: [OT] Antenna install Q's?

Do you have a chimney? Chimney mount.
    There must be some vent pipes popping up through your roof. You can anchor onto them.
    You don't have to screw the main mast mount down, a lot of tar or Henry's Roof Patch will do the trick.

Originally posted by weinstro View Post
    Hi,

Still audio related, but pretty far from the normal fare on this forum. Hey, PE sells antennas, so it's OK, right?

I'd like to install a roof mount antenna, likely for HDTV, preferably for HDTV and FM. HOA CCR's allow for one antenna. But, the roof is made from shake style concrete tiles.

Any thoughts on how to install one of these without it raining in the attic, or otherwise voiding the roof warranty?

I'm torn between a mast/tripod with guy wires vs. an arrangement where I have to drill through tiles and into a joist in the roof. Any experiences out there?

A mast rotator needs to be factored in here. I have one already from a previous house, a Channel Master something or other.

Thanks a bunch for any advice you can provide.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Do you have a chimney large enough to put a strap mount on?. I have also seen brackets that attach to the wall under the eaves ,depending on how deep your over hang is. I've used both of those with good success . If you are using a rotor you will have to guy it down good.

Comment

I don't know what your reception is like, but I have a TV antenna in my garage eaves that gets good reception from stations thirty to forty miles away. Conventional shingle roof.

Comment

As someone else asked, do you have a chimney?

I have a "picture diary" of the installation of my chimney-mount antenna with rotator for FM radio. After routing the cable down beside the chimney, I went throught the outside wall to get the signal to the FM radio and TV area (note how the existing gas line is installed crookedly in the same area - grrr).

Here's the link to the "picture diary" of prep and installation...

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/yagi/

If I were mounting to masonry now, I'd use a different concrete anchor than what I showed in the pictures. They are still working fine, but later experience shows that installation is more critical than what I'd use today.

This is what I'd use now...
          Bill Schneider
          -+-+-+-+-
          www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

I've been researching this as well, although I don't have the same issue with the roof tiles. I decided on a J-Mount off the top gable end of my house. I actually already have two of them since we cancelled and uninstalled our DISH network service. I'm not sure if this could be utilized with a rotor though? For my situation it will work OK.

I wouldn't want to mess with those tiles you have.

A good website is antennaweb.org

This will help you determine the best type of antenna for both applications as well has the channels you can get (along with the directions to point the antenna to get them).

Be careful and good luck!

Comment

Do you have a chimney? Chimney mount.
              There must be some vent pipes popping up through your roof.
              Nope, no chimney. The newer standards for homes here ban wood burning fireplaces, therefore chimneys are going away.

There are vents, but these are short ~6" pieces of ABS.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

If you want a lot of information on antennae, at all levels, look here:
                http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25

If you are a true DIYer, also look here (ignore the first page):

I have a 4-bay bowtie, tuned lower than the commercial antennae of the pre-digital age reflecting the loss of the 700 MHz band from broadcast TV. It's in my attic with an oversize reflector and I get Ch 10 just fine, but then I'm only 7 miles from the transmitters....

have fun,
                Frank

Comment

I faced this same problem about two years ago. Unfortunately, my house is covered in stucco and this has a metal mesh support which does a great job of attenuating radio frequency signals. I needed an outdoor FM/HDTV antenna, so I DIYed a quick and dirty solution that has worked well, so far at least!

I bought an omnidirectional FM/TV antenna, the $50 Winegard MS-1000, from SummitSource.com. It a relatively flat, round disk about 15" in diameter with an integrated pole mount. I created a "pole" from one-and-one-half 20 foot sections of 4" schedule 40 white PVC (it rarely freezes where I live in CA). I glued the PVC sections together, added a transition to a short 2" diameter PVC "top" (where the antenna clamps on), and then secured the whole thing to the side of my rear deck (off the second floor) with a heavy metal L-bracket supporting the bottom of the 4" PVC at about 10' off the ground. This elevates the antenna to just above the roof line.

We get some windy storms here once or twice a year and so far it's still standing. The long PVC can flex in the wind a bit, but the 4" diameter gives it enough stiffness to keep it up there. This has given me great reception at the ground level, where before using an indoor antenna or even a Terk TV55 (a P.O.S.) in my attic, the reception was very poor. In total, I think I spent less than $100 on the antenna and mount. :D

BTW, $50 the Winegard MS-1000 is great. Probably not as good as a large directional FM antenna with a rotator, but I am not going to install one of those monsters anytime soon. Luckily the stations I need to pick up are close by, so signal strength is no problem and most are in one direction only. Keep those things in mind when you select an antenna.

-Charlie
                  Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

I purchased one of those Winegard omni antennas locally. Do you remember MarVac Electronics here on Del Paso Blvd?
                    Anyway that same antenna did me no good where I live. The reception wasn't any better than rabid rabbit ears. What it really needed was to be elevated up high on a much higher pole.
                    Side note, along with MarVac closing, HFE (formerly HSC) Electronics has closed it's doors too. Bummer.

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
                    I faced this same problem about two years ago. Unfortunately, my house is covered in stucco and this has a metal mesh support which does a great job of attenuating radio frequency signals. I needed an outdoor FM/HDTV antenna, so I DIYed a quick and dirty solution that has worked well, so far at least!

I bought an omnidirectional FM/TV antenna, the $50 Winegard MS-1000, from SummitSource.com. It a relatively flat, round disk about 15" in diameter with an integrated pole mount. I created a "pole" from one-and-one-half 20 foot sections of 4" schedule 40 white PVC (it rarely freezes where I live in CA). I glued the PVC sections together, added a transition to a short 2" diameter PVC "top" (where the antenna clamps on), and then secured the whole thing to the side of my rear deck (off the second floor) with a heavy metal L-bracket supporting the bottom of the 4" PVC at about 10' off the ground. This elevates the antenna to just above the roof line.

We get some windy storms here once or twice a year and so far it's still standing. The long PVC can flex in the wind a bit, but the 4" diameter gives it enough stiffness to keep it up there. This has given me great reception at the ground level, where before using an indoor antenna or even a Terk TV55 (a P.O.S.) in my attic, the reception was very poor. In total, I think I spent less than $100 on the antenna and mount. :D

BTW, $50 the Winegard MS-1000 is great. Probably not as good as a large directional FM antenna with a rotator, but I am not going to install one of those monsters anytime soon. Luckily the stations I need to pick up are close by, so signal strength is no problem and most are in one direction only. Keep those things in mind when you select an antenna.

-Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by weinstro View Post
                      Nope, no chimney. The newer standards for homes here ban wood burning fireplaces, therefore chimneys are going away.

There are vents, but these are short ~6" pieces of ABS.

Regards,

Rob
                      I was thinking that you could at least attach any guy wires to the vent pipes.
                      ABS DWV
                      Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene Drain Waste Vent

Comment

I purchased one of those Winegard omni antennas locally. [snip] What it really needed was to be elevated up high on a much higher pole.
                        [snip]
                        Elevating the antenna just above roof level really made a difference for me. Because the antenna is pretty compact, and the PVC relatively wide, I don't need guy wires to support the "mast".

-Charlie
                        Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

Try to avoid mixing trees and rain in the path between your antenna and the local transmitters. I sometimes have drop outs on two stations during rain storms. All works OK in the winter when the leaves are gone.

Marv

Comment

Originally posted by fbov View Post
                            If you want a lot of information on antennae, at all levels, look here:

If you are a true DIYer, also look here (ignore the first page):
                            Thanks, Frank -- I'll give these a look.

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                            Try to avoid mixing trees and rain in the path between your antenna and the local transmitters. I sometimes have drop outs on two stations during rain storms. All works OK in the winter when the leaves are gone.

Marv
                            The bigger issue is a range of 2,000' hills to the west, between me and where the radio transmitters are located. Antenna.org specifies a pretty hefty antenna for full bandwidth reception. NBC is particularly problematic for East Bay, CA. Looks like I'll have to trade off life w/o Leno vs. a 120" boom.

But the core issue is still getting the darn thing installed w/o risk of falling down or damage to the roof. I wonder how solar water heaters are installed?

Regards,

Rob

Comment

I bought an antenna and chimney mount from these guys. Nice selection of antennas and mounts.

http://www.solidsignal.com

Comment

Working...
                              X