Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

    I am getting ready to rebuild a set of 1994 Paradigm 11seMk3's for a friend.These are a 3-way speaker with (2)8"woofers, 1-6.5 mid, 1"softdome tweeter.Right now I am concentrating on the woofer section.The woofer section is ported,2.23cft. with a 3x6.5 port crossed over @550hz. Oh yea. Did I mention ,he is a metal head who likes to abuse them with RockBand at 250 watts per channel. Anyway I am trying to keep the price under $100 each per woofer.Right now I am debating between Dayton RS225, Aurum Cantus, Scan Speak , Peerless and.Possibly Usher. Any suggestions would be helpfull, Thanks,doug c.

  • #2
    Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

    Realy,, this is supposed to be TECH TALK and this is the best you can do??

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

      Originally posted by dougc View Post
      Realy,, this is supposed to be TECH TALK and this is the best you can do??
      You're whining on super bowl night?

      My vote is for the Peerless 830869 Nomex cone. Bit of a hiccup around 800Hz, but probably not a deal breaker with the right baffle width. Either RS28 should work for a 1500Hz XO point.

      Don't say you never got anything by just asking.

      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

      95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

        Not the answer I was expecting!?!? But the one I was leaning towards, My question is,'why".wHY NOT scan speak or aurum cantus ??? Just a question? Also do you think the Peerless will handel the power?? Also as far as whining on Super Bowl XLV..Idon't think so . I didn't expect s--t posting this approx. 1hr. before the game. But when I came home approx. 3hrs. after the game and I was on the second page already with 0 responses well I have to get someones attention.. thanks dougc.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

          DougC, be glad you got at least one answer considering your attitude. Replacing the original drivers with different ones is going to involve you having to modify the crossover so are you competent enough to do so? If not then you have no other options other than to find original drivers and tell your friend to turn down the volume. End of.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

            Any 8" ScanSpeak woofer (not their Discovery line) is going to cost you more than $100 each, at least ~$150, and up to over $300 (unless you can find some used ones). But as already posted you can't just stick in a different woofer and expect good results without crossover changes.
            Paul

            Originally posted by dougc View Post
            Not the answer I was expecting!?!? But the one I was leaning towards, My question is,'why".wHY NOT scan speak or aurum cantus ??? Just a question? Also do you think the Peerless will handel the power?? Also as far as whining on Super Bowl XLV..Idon't think so . I didn't expect s--t posting this approx. 1hr. before the game. But when I came home approx. 3hrs. after the game and I was on the second page already with 0 responses well I have to get someones attention.. thanks dougc.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

              Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
              Any 8" ScanSpeak woofer (not their Discovery line) is going to cost you more than $100 each, at least ~$150, and up to over $300 (unless you can find some used ones). But as already posted you can't just stick in a different woofer and expect good results without crossover changes.
              Paul
              The two Scan Speak woofers I was considering are; Discovery 22W/4534G $81.60 and the Classic P21wo20 $69.00. What about the Aurum Cantus AC-200mkII ? The spec's look good and power wise they seem to be up for the task. But I have never seen any threads or builds using them. Is there a reason for this?? Oh, sorry everyone about the attitude had a little to much to drink during the game.I guess I got a little lippy.I'm feeling it today.Do you think Dayton RS225 is a canidate. dougc

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

                I personally love the Dayton Reference drivers with their specific cone material. I'm sure those will provide great clarity and also handle the high volume levels. I would also say that any aluminum cone driver should work without breakup at high volumes, imo.

                The Aurum Cantus are super sweet drivers, I love how all of them have a super deep response to them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

                  Originally posted by Hearing Specialist View Post
                  I personally love the Dayton Reference drivers with their specific cone material. I'm sure those will provide great clarity and also handle the high volume levels. I would also say that any aluminum cone driver should work without breakup at high volumes, imo.

                  The Aurum Cantus are super sweet drivers, I love how all of them have a super deep response to them.
                  So out of the different drivers I listed ,what would your vote be? dougc

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

                    I am currently working with the 8" Aurum Cantus woofer. They are very nice drivers to be sure, but I think two of them will want a lot more box volume than you have available. The T/S parameters from the Aurum are typically pretty far off from what we measure. Check zaphaudio.com for a more realistic idea what they should be. In my case, I am using about 2 cu. ft. for a single woofer.
                    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

                    Sehlin Sound Solutions

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

                      Is the "mid" section sealed off from the woofer section?

                      I say a pair of RS225-4 per side could be great.

                      Does he like "boomy" bass? I'm guessing that would be yes. If you have to, you could extend the cabinet volume with a "hump" on the back, or, use a high pass on the woofer to tame the bottom end.

                      Here's another nice option:

                      http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1102



                      If you use that woofer you may want to lower the mid crossover to about 300 - 350 Hz or so.
                      "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

                        This will sound like I'm mincing words, but when most people refer to ScanSpeak drivers, it will not include either of those because the Classic is just a Vifa and the Discovery line seems to be upgraded Vifas, although I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with either.
                        Paul

                        Originally posted by dougc View Post
                        The two Scan Speak woofers I was considering are; Discovery 22W/4534G $81.60 and the Classic P21wo20 $69.00. What about the Aurum Cantus AC-200mkII ? The spec's look good and power wise they seem to be up for the task. But I have never seen any threads or builds using them. Is there a reason for this?? Oh, sorry everyone about the attitude had a little to much to drink during the game.I guess I got a little lippy.I'm feeling it today.Do you think Dayton RS225 is a canidate. dougc

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

                          In some cases the "Discovery" models may be superior to the "regular" ScanSpeak equivilant.
                          "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

                            Perhaps but no guarantee.
                            Paul

                            Originally posted by critofur View Post
                            In some cases the "Discovery" models may be superior to the "regular" ScanSpeak equivilant.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 8" woofer suggestions (Paradigm rebuild)

                              Originally posted by critofur View Post
                              Is the "mid" section sealed off from the woofer section?

                              I say a pair of RS225-4 per side could be great.

                              Does he like "boomy" bass? I'm guessing that would be yes. If you have to, you could extend the cabinet volume with a "hump" on the back, or, use a high pass on the woofer to tame the bottom end.

                              Here's another nice option:

                              http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1102



                              If you use that woofer you may want to lower the mid crossover to about 300 - 350 Hz or so.
                              I like that option - he could use that with the 6.5" SLS as a mid. It should get an f3 in the low 30's in his box with a little boom - or a sealed f3 just below 50 Hz if he stuffs the port going for a more refined sound.
                              Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

                              Sehlin Sound Solutions

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X