Introducing the Napas 3-way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing the Napas 3-way.

This is the previously noted 3-way build for this year. Ideas and observations always welcome.

In keeping with the wine theme, these are the Napas. They will feature the excellent BG Neo3 that Ron E used in his Krystals. I'd never heard such highs - and obviously hope to reproduce them. Mid is my last pair (finally) of AC130/F1's - I've concluded I like the AC130 midrange on my Sonomas better than the Seas in the Malbecs. I don't think anyone has used AC130's a dedicated mid despite how much the mids wow people in the TzuJans and the Continuums. Woofer is the SB Acoustics SB23 in a MLTL configuration. F3 should be about 32. LR4 acoustic slopes.

Modeled response:

Big Ugly Boxes below. I'm going to have to get more creative with my towers. It is just that with a good table saw, a plan, and brad nailer, I was able to bang out these folded MLTL with mid chamber in about two and a half hours and time is always limited. These are headed for a friend's house in the end, and they have requested oak veneer.

Hope to have them done for Indiana.

Re: Introducing the Napas 3-way.

No doubt with those drivers and your execution, they will be a great speaker. I have one question:

It seems your preference is for MLTL's. What distinct advantages to find they have over more typacal, oflten less complex enclosure designs that yeild close to or the same F3? Its all trade off's, but there is an obvious advantage in your design philosphy, and inquiring minds would love to know!

Also, which software do you use for MLTL design?

Comment

The response model looks nice!:D Like your choice of drivers for this one.

Comment

sniff, thats beutiful. (the fr graph, not the box) but its early yet.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I've not made a direct comparison of MLTL vs standard vented box for the same driver. I do know that aside from the port, there is little that you can do to "tune" a vented box once it is built. Some with stuffing perhaps. I've found with MLTL you can tune to taste a bit easier after construction by adjustment of port length and stuffing. In the end, I've never been disappointed by the bass solution in an MLTL - I can always make it tight and tuneful, while for me that has not always been true of a standard vented box.

If you think about it, you can model any vented box design as if it was MLTL to see how it performs. Any vented box is one variant of the full range of MLTL solutions. I've done a bit of that sort of modeling and find that exact box dimensions, stuffing and port size and location are all critical variables in box tuning. The particulars of dimensions and port location are often ignored in vented boxes.

I use Martin Kings spreadsheets. I was lucky enough to score a copy of MathCad 14 at a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
            I've not made a direct comparison of MLTL vs standard vented box for the same driver. I do know that aside from the port, there is little that you can do to "tune" a vented box once it is built. Some with stuffing perhaps. I've found with MLTL you can tune to taste a bit easier after construction by adjustment of port length and stuffing. In the end, I've never been disappointed by the bass solution in an MLTL - I can always make it tight and tuneful, while for me that has not always been true of a standard vented box.

If you think about it, you can model any vented box design as if it was MLTL to see how it performs. Any vented box is one variant of the full range of MLTL solutions. I've done a bit of that sort of modeling and find that exact box dimensions, stuffing and port size and location are all critical variables in box tuning. The particulars of dimensions and port location are often ignored in vented boxes.

I use Martin Kings spreadsheets. I was lucky enough to score a copy of MathCad 14 at a reasonable price.
            Thanks Maynard. I find it interesting to find habits/patters in sucuessful designers methods and find out the why behind it. I was never a large TL fan, but perhaps an MLTL is worth the look. It would be a new challange for me, that's for sure!

Comment

I look forward to hearing them if they make the trek to Iowa this year.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                I look forward to hearing them if they make the trek to Iowa this year.
                Very unlikely. It ends up being a six day round trip for a one day event. Getting to old for that!

Comment

Very unlikely. It ends up being a six day round trip for a one day event. Getting to old for that!
                  That's too bad. I hope you are not too old for a bottle of Argentine varietal every now and then!
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I found passive radiators to reduce the complexity, don't have to figure the room occupied by a vent (and finding room for the vent) for instance. Also, they can be modified after building by adding or subtracting mass from the PR.
                    So far it works for me.

Comment

So does this mean we've seen the last of you in Iowa? I so hope not! Not only do you do some wonderful work, but you're a great friend of mine and the group and I'm sure I speak for all when I say your presence would be missed.

You could always hit up your pilot buddy again! ;)

Comment

He is coming to InDIYana though....:D, and possibly bringing the Napas.
                        So- you decide whether you're coming out to Hoosierland, Cheesehead?

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
                          So does this mean we've seen the last of you in Iowa? I so hope not! Not only do you do some wonderful work, but you're a great friend of mine and the group and I'm sure I speak for all when I say your presence would be missed.

You could always hit up your pilot buddy again! ;)
                          I will be in IA, I'm just not likely to drive up with speakers.

Comment

Maynard, You just need to start building smaller speakers so you can ship them!:D
                            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
                              Maynard, You just need to start building smaller speakers so you can ship them!:D
                              I would, except that as regards bass (and spirited driving), there is no replacement for displacement.

Comment

Working...
                              X