Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Laminate Tutorial?

Hello again guys,

Not too long ago I finished the last leg of my 2.1 speaker project, and I have enjoyed the beautiful sounds they produce for a few months now. But, every time I look at them I think to myself: "these really could look better", so I have decided to go ahead and apply a cherry vinyl laminate to give them more a realistic feel.

I've been doing a lot of research on this topic and most of the suggestions on the forum seem to be centered around how to properly prepare the substrate, but I'm still concerned about the actual application process. Does anyone have any tips on how to apply the laminate? Should I wrap the laminate around four sides of the box? Should I over-cut a portion for each side and just trim? I'm eager to hear some of your experiences in doing this.

Re: Vinyl Laminate Tutorial?

Originally posted by CAPGuy View Post
    Hello again guys,

Not too long ago I finished the last leg of my 2.1 speaker project, and I have enjoyed the beautiful sounds they produce for a few months now. But, every time I look at them I think to myself: "these really could look better", so I have decided to go ahead and apply a cherry vinyl laminate to give them more a realistic feel.

I've been doing a lot of research on this topic and most of the suggestions on the forum seem to be centered around how to properly prepare the substrate, but I'm still concerned about the actual application process. Does anyone have any tips on how to apply the laminate? Should I wrap the laminate around four sides of the box? Should I over-cut a portion for each side and just trim? I'm eager to hear some of your experiences in doing this.
    CAP,

It has been a few years since I applied the vinyl laminate, but I found a few pics to help refresh my memory.

IIRC, I applied the laminate, and then trimmed at the 90 degree edge with no wrap around. Using round overs on the corners eliminates four seams. Sometimes a hair drier helps to soften and restick problem areas.

Also, apply the most visible surface last, so it will help hide the seams.

HTH,
    Marvin

Comment

A good well sealed cabinet is necesseary! For applying vinyl, I start with the front and back first, then wrap the sides! The wrap helps hide and protect the edges from peeling/lifting if and when you handle your speakers!

For applying vinyl, have someone help you! It really makes it go much easier if you have someone handling/unrolling the vinyl while someone else smooths and apply's it to the surface! I cut out a piece of scrap wood about 19" long by 1.5 inch wide, sprayed it down with scotch adhesive and wrapped it in speaker cloth! I use this as sort of a squeegy and sure beats trying to smooth the surface out with your hand and it goes down evenly! just make sure whoever is doing the unrolling to keep it even and do not pull or try to stretch! just unroll and let the squeegy do the work! Does not take long to get the hang of it!

Comment

Resurrecting an old thread here. PE has the thickness of this vinyl laminate listed as 10 mil. Is that 10 millimeters or is that just the guage. roughly how thick is this stuff? Has anyone ever had problems with it?
        HAGD,
        Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

10mil is 0.01 inches thick.
          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Thanks Sydney.
            HAGD,
            Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Originally posted by WernerM View Post
              Resurrecting an old thread here. PE has the thickness of this vinyl laminate listed as 10 mil. Is that 10 millimeters or is that just the guage. roughly how thick is this stuff? Has anyone ever had problems with it?

I've never had any issues with it. It won't wrap around a 90 degree corner, but will do as low as a 3/8" round-over. It is thin and will show even a teeny speck of dust. I use a tack cloth and I wipe the surface with a clean, lint free cloth with a little Iso alcohol on it. Clean, clean surface is the key for a smooth look and good adhesion. I trim with a new utility knife & blade and a bright light so I get it at just the right angle. Keep the blade clean. The adhesive will build up on the blade, so I keep a cloth dampened with some adhesive remover sauce and wipe the cutting edge of the blade often. It'll smooth out the cutting/trimming process and give a nice even cut. The cabinets I've done this way are all still looking good and no lifting at the edges or corners. The smoothing "squeegee" that was mentioned is a great way to keep air bubbles out and helps keep the laminate flat. I use a veneer smoothing "blade" with a piece of soft cloth on it. The edges on these are still firmly adhered and see daily use at a girlfriend's art studio:

John A.
              "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
              Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
              Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
              Pioneer TX-9500 II
              Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
              Statement Monitors
              Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
              Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
              Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Working...
              X