No announcement yet.

Just pulled the trigger, tarkus build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just pulled the trigger, tarkus build!

I just pulled the trigger on some parts for Paul Carmody's Tarkus design. In the mean time while I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I have a new circular saw to play with. After playing with google sketchup to get an idea of how I'm going to layout my cuts, I found that if I cheat the dimensions of the design, and shorten the depth of the bass bins by just 1/4" I can theoretically fit all the panels on a single sheet of MDF. This is assuming I don't screw up anything while I'm cutting, and assuming they still oversize the sheets by an inch (49" x 97"). The smallest piece of scrap after panels, and the width of the saw cuts should be about 3/4" wide. Not a lot of room for error, but not impossible. A nice DIY saw guide will be required, so that's my first project, then on to making some sawdust! So, I have a challenge ahead of me, but if I do screw up, I'll be glad I bought two sheets of MDF :D I suppose I will have to plug the woofer specs into win isd to see how much of a tuning change that 1/4" will make, I'm planning on using the 3" precision flared port mentioned on Paul's website as an alternative, to 4" pvc. I don't think 1/4" should change things too much, but I will probably need to make an adjustment to port length. Until I get some cuts made, here's a picture of my new saw, and a nice new blade I've been wanting to try out.
    Attached Files
    My modest builds:
    Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
    Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
    Armadillo Center Channel
    Au-Rock-O Sub
    Tarkus
    Staining MDF tutorial

Re: Just pulled the trigger, tarkus build!

Thats a nice Rigid!! How do you like the Freud Blade??? I've got one on my skill and it does a nice/quick job of cutting

Comment

I've been hearing good things about those blades, so I decided to try one. I haven't made any cuts with it yet, but I will definitely be doing so this week, so I will let you know. As far as the saw goes, Haven't tried it yet either, but for the money, it looks to be one of the best deals out there. I really like the idea of the cast base plate. There's also a positive lock for 45 deg. cuts, and a calibration adjustment for getting a true 90 deg. cut, quite useful features for $99. The lifetime warranty alone more than justifies the price. The cord is also really long, It's about 12'. That's quite handy to have in some situations. I'm hoping it performs as nice as it looks. I've had great luck with Ridgid so far, even the used Ridgid tools I've bought. After looking at every other brand at home depot and lowes, it seemed like a no brainer. I'm sure if I went with a festool or something like that I might get a little more saw, but at 4 times the price.
      My modest builds:
      Armadillo Center Channel
      Au-Rock-O Sub
      Tarkus
      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
        I just pulled the trigger on some parts for Paul Carmody's Tarkus design. In the mean time while I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I have a new circular saw to play with. After playing with google sketchup to get an idea of how I'm going to layout my cuts, I found that if I cheat the dimensions of the design, and shorten the depth of the bass bins by just 1/4" I can theoretically fit all the panels on a single sheet of MDF.
        Cool! I will follow your build with interest. It's such a neat design, I really want to build them but am still "in talks" with my wife about the size.

Regarding your cabinet size changes, you may already have seen Post #63 in the main Tarkus thread (http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=tarkus) where I asked about shrinking the bass bins' size (a bit more than your 1/4" change), and I put up a couple graphics showing WinISD curves and volume calcs. Bottom line was that the design seems very forgiving within a few cubic liters.

Comment

Very cool! The Tarkus looks like a great project

Comment

That's funny, I have the same saw and blade. I have only used it a few times when I was building a new gate. Seems to be a good combo for the price.

Good luck with the Tarkus build, it looks interesting.

Chris
            Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
              After playing with google sketchup to get an idea of how I'm going to layout my cuts, I found that if I cheat the dimensions of the design, and shorten the depth of the bass bins by just 1/4" I can theoretically fit all the panels on a single sheet of MDF. This is assuming I don't screw up anything while I'm cutting, and assuming they still oversize the sheets by an inch (49" x 97"). The smallest piece of scrap after panels, and the width of the saw cuts should be about 3/4" wide.
              Share the cut layout if you wouldn't mind.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

The 3 in. port should be fine if flared. I flared only the outside on mine and haven't noticed port noise. Mainly music listening though.

Comment

I have a Ridgid circular saw, with a Diablo 40 tooth thin kerf blade, and let me tell you, I prefer using that over my budget table saw any day. I have on a daily basis, used Makita, DeWalt, Porter Cable,etc, on roofs, framing, and exterior trim, and the Ridgid saw, IMO , is the nicest of the breed out there.
                  For most of your cuts, clamping a known straight edge will see you well.
                  Dont know about the kerf on that framing blade you have, but on my 40 tooth Diablo, it is a 1/16" cut, a regular blade is 1/18'. This can make a little difference to your calculations.

Never try to teach a pig to sing.
                  Its a complete waste of time, and it just annoys the pig !.

Comment

Bolland,

I will be watching for your updates on the build process, I love this design, it
                    works for me on so many levels except for the size. All the small 2 way speakers I have heard just don't compare to large full standing speakers. I don't really know why this is. CJD from HT Guide stated that his large 3 way design (2 10" woofers) "electrify the air" with sound, I suspect this will be the case with Tarkus. Very cool name too. A very experienced audiophile type guy I know has the same looking speakers made by KEF, vintage, and he absolutely loves them and has no need for a sub.

Enjoy the process.

Comment

i have the diablo blade for the table saw but have not used on anything else. im sure you will be happy with you rigid saw but after using my father-n-law's left blade porter-cable saw, i just had to have one.
                      i should be fun to watch your build, thank for sharing. cant wait to see the guide you come up with.
                      ps, hope its not to WARM for you down there.:D
                      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

This is a shamefully stupid question, but since we're talking about circular saws and good blades....

My circular saw is an old Craftsman, nothing special, but it's reliable at least. Anyway, I got a nice Diablo blade for it, but the kerf is so thin that the arbor can't screw in far enough to hold it in place. I'd add a fender washer to hold it in place, but I want to know if this is safe to do first.

Thanks.
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

That's what I would do, but I would not advise you to. Maybe a trip to a woodworking forum would yield some good advice.

Comment

It seems I was wrong about getting everything on one sheet, I somehow missed that I didn't have baffles for the top cabs, oops! Looks like the bare minimum would be a full sheet, and a 2x4 handy panel, for others who are thinking about building this design. But this is what I managed to fit on one sheet, with careful cutting and layout, it should work. As far as shortening the depth 1/4" goes, it lowers the tuning about 1.5hz, using a 3" port at 8.5" long, the f3 really doesn't seem to change (it's around 35hz) and the vent mach is still only 12ms, so it looks like it's still in a good range. Well, I'm off to lowes to get a sheet of masonite for my saw guide, I'll post pics of that when it's done, and then I'm making some sawdust!
                            Attached Files
                            My modest builds:
                            Armadillo Center Channel
                            Au-Rock-O Sub
                            Tarkus
                            Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Consider me sub'd. I'm interested to see the build. I like the Tarkus design, very cool ! Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X