Paging Ed LaFontaine re:OSB 'Hay-bails'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paging Ed LaFontaine re:OSB 'Hay-bails'

Man, the picture of the "Hay-Bails" that Wolf posted impressed me so much that after church this morning I ran to Lowes and bought 2 8x4 sheets of OSB, as well as some "epoxy resin" (recommended by Lowe's staff) to attempt to make some speakers with a similiar look.

Ed, I would greatly appreciate any details you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Paging Ed LaFontaine re:OSB 'Hay-bails'

Greets rogoll!

The epoxy resin will work fine. Use the proper protection to avoid direct contact with the stuff. I used common wood glue.

For the size of boxes I built, glued butX joints are strong enough.

I did make my baffles removable. ...no need for that if you are settled on the design...your option. There are screws at each corner that engage corner blocks within the case.

I think the key to a good finish will be sanding the material to remove the mill marks. For this, search for a local shop with a thickness sander...make your preliminary cuts of the osb into strips that your final cuts come from...run all of the material through the sander...get them to "finish sand" to their finest grit...return to your shop and make the finish cuts.

I used a pin/brad/finish nailer to aid in assembly with clamps only as needed.

Stain to your taste. I used a brush application of poly over that. The random orientation of the wood fibers is really forgiving of brush marks/imperfections

HTH

Now, are there any "good" surplus (cheap) electronics sources in your area?
    Mongo only pawn in game of life
    ____
    Ed

Comment

Thanks for the response. Those things look beautiful.

I'm not aware of any cheap or surplus electronics suppliers in my area. I use MCM Electronics or Ajax Jr. most of the time.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I get lucky sometimes. The appearance was secondary to economy. I built the boxes to provide a listening experience for the EnABL treatment.

Let me know if you need any thing else. ;)
        ____
        Ed

Comment

Ed, I'm pretty sure I saw those at DIY 2009, were they there?

I was wondering when you stained or finished them, did the larger bits of wood swell up any when they got some stain or finish on them?

Particle board seems to do that a little. The little bits of wood that are exposed seem to swell just a bit with the paint making it difficult to get a smooth finish.

Also, I seem to remember Bill F making some outdoor bandpass subwoofers out of that stuff in an old issues of speaker builder magazine from the 90's. It must be stronger/more moisture resistant that I give it credit for.

I really think they turned out nice in the pics recently posted... impressive, and unique.

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Tom, one pair was there...the untreated ones. They were set up with a sub and won 2nd place in the "unlimited" category...there were 2 entrants, LOL

The wood chips don't swell any more than solid wood would. ;) Stain or the first coat of finish will raise the grain slightly...that is to be expected with any wood project. The glue/binder in the matrix is intended for (some) exterior exposure.

For rogoll & all, a further note on the assembly process:

The bulls eye for corner butx joints would be flush, requiring no sanding, full surface contact with 100% glue coverage and no glue squeeze-out. That ain't gonna happen...

So I'm lazy, and I want to get as close to that as I can. I want them built and move on to other things...like enjoy KY put a basketball whoopin' on OU this weekend...:D...

I choose to include an allowance for overlap of the joints. I check the pieces coming off the saw for square corners and dimensional consistency. I spread enough glue on BOTH contact surfaces, make one panel overhang to other ever so slightly and fix the position by pins, brads or whatever...clamp as needed.

AS the glue skins over, I use paper towels to remove the excess squeeze-out. I start this as early as needed to avoid glue runs down the face of the case. Arranging the pieces so any glue runs will go across the proud edge-not the face-works as well. Some dampening of the cloth aids in removal of glue that gets spread out. The grain raising and thinned glue layer left behind are easier to remove by sanding than the risk of pulling wood fibers up with hardened glue. Some glue squeeze out may be left behind right on the joint. This can be removed with a sharp chisel before it hardens, or taken off with a flush trim bit.

You have options. Your experience will inform you of the timing most beneficial to exercise them.
            ____
            Ed

Comment

Originally posted by edlafontaine View Post
              I want them built and move on to other things...like enjoy KY put a basketball whoopin' on OU this weekend...:D...
              I'm sure that's what you want, but didn't your mother tell you that we don't always get what we want? :D
              Paul

Comment

Yes, along with some other things...

Here's hoping for a good game. ;)
                ____
                Ed

Comment

didn't your mother tell you that we don't always get what we want?
                  Sometimes even she was wrong...:D

Go Big Blue!
                  ____
                  Ed

Comment

Ed, other than stain followed by poly, did you do anything else for the finish? Did you use any 50/50 glue/water to help seal them up? If I can make mine look 1/2 as good as yours, I will be very happy.

Comment

Very disappointing outcome for the Buckeyes and their fans. Couldn't have been a worse combination, good defense by Kentucky and poor shooting by OSU (some of the former contributed to the latter, of course). And, OSU missed at least 6 free throws to boot. There were many cases of "what if" that could have changed the outcome, but I was surprised at the way OSU defended Kentucky on the last possession. I would have thought OSU would have applied more pressure when Kentucky in-bounded and came down the floor, but I assume OSU was afraid of getting called for a foul. And I had to stay up past my bedtime to see the Buckeyes lose!:( Now hopefully the Buckeye women will win their game today against Tennessee and carry the torch a little further.
                      Paul

Originally posted by edlafontaine View Post
                      Sometimes even she was wrong...:D

Go Big Blue!

Comment

rogoll,

My recollection is that I used thinned poly for the seal coat, sanding between coats to scuff the previous coat and improve adhesion.
                        I would use a sanding sealer for the first coat to do this again. I have learned it is much easier to scuff and level than poly. It is made to seal.
                        To add stain the timing depends on the choice of material. It might precede the sealer or be added later as a "toner".
                        Check your options on some scrap to get the look you want.

Have you found a shop with the machines to help you sand the panels? The amount of sanding shouldn't be expected to yield a flawless surface. Some of the voids between wood chips are ~deep. Sanding to remove all of them will remove (I think) too much thickness.
                        ____
                        Ed

Comment

I haven't found a place yet, but I imagine in a place as big as Birmingham there's got to be some place that can do it for me. I had Lowes cut off a 6" stip to test on. I'm going to try my belt sander on it and see how good of a finish I can get myself, first.

Comment

If using a hand-held belt sander, keep it progressively moving down the panel in an overlapping "S" pattern...switch to a finer grit sooner than you think...80 grit will waste a lot of material in a hurry.

Put lots of random pencil marks on the panels to serve as an indicator for areas that remain to be sanded. Once the marks are sanded off, move away from that area, finish sanding the panel, inspect, mark up again, repeat.

If you are asking around, they can go by several names:

wide belt sander, flat bed sander, panel sander...

The larger, production oriented shops will have them. Expect to get your material in at their convenience...
                            ____
                            Ed

Comment

Thanks. I'll run out and get some finer grits, and maybe just start out with them for my tests. I've never had an ocassion to use my belt sander before, but others have told me the same about the aggressiveness of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X