Test results for Scan-speak, Vifa, and Wavecor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test results for Scan-speak, Vifa, and Wavecor

John sent me some results from the drivers I had sent him, I though I would share the results. He tested the Scan-speak discovery double magnet DX tweeter, the Vifa NE180-4, and the Wavecor WF152BD03.

Compare the new Scan-speak DX to the old vifa and Dayton RS28A below:

Scanspeak D2604-833000 FR
    [IMG][/IMG]

Scanspeak D2604-833000 HD

[IMG][/IMG]

Vifa DX25 HD

[IMG][/IMG]

Dayton RS28A HD

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking at the Scan-speak specs, it looks at though the Scan-speak version is an under hung design vs. the Vifa's over hung. I have heard that the Scan-speak now shares the same dome material as some of its' more expensive stable mates.

Vifa NE180-04 FR

[IMG][/IMG]

Vifa NE180-04 HD

[IMG][/IMG]

Wavecor WF152BD03 FR

[IMG][/IMG]

Wavecor WF152BD03 HD

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by czag; 03-21-2011, 10:32 PM.
    Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Re: Test results for Scan-speak, Vifa, and Wavecor

All those drivers look fantastic!
    "You give bad advice and cause a lot of confusion" -Craigk

Comment

Nice response on the Wavecor.

Great sensitivity being a 4 ohm driver.

A little pricey...but sometimes you actually do get what you pay for.

Thank you for sharing all these results!

Comment

Can you give a layman's summary? Which one wins?
        Form does not follow function
        Form is simultaneous to function

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
          Can you give a layman's summary? Which one wins?
          I think the new Scan-speak performs better than the older vifa because of the improvement in 2nd and 3rd order harmonics above 2.0khz. Between the Dayton and the Scan-speak, the HD looks to be close to a dead heat but I think the Scan-speak would have much better consistency from unit to unit. I actually was planning on comparing the the Scan-speak with some of the Dayton RS28Fs that I have in a two way with the Vifa NE180. All just my opinions, though.

Chris
          Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

Do you have John's T/S parameters for the Wavecor?

Thanks...

Comment

That Wavecor looks real good on paper. Nice smooth, extended response, good sensitivity, and low distortion in the mid range. A great candidate as a mid with a 95dB pro 12" woofer, crossing LR2 @ 2000Hz with the right tweeter.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I got a pair of VIFA NE810 @ home so this information is really useful! Looks like I've picked a winner! Distortion is really low on these. Now all I need is a tweeter to team them with ... hummm maybe a SS D2604-833000!

All those driver looks like winner to me ... except for the price for both woofer!

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by czag View Post
                  I think the new Scan-speak performs better than the older vifa because of the improvement in 2nd and 3rd order harmonics above 2.0khz. Between the Dayton and the Scan-speak, the HD looks to be close to a dead heat but I think the Scan-speak would have much better consistency from unit to unit. I actually was planning on comparing the the Scan-speak with some of the Dayton RS28Fs that I have in a two way with the Vifa NE180. All just my opinions, though.

Chris
                  I use that ScanSpeak Discovery tweeter along with a Revelator sliced cone mid-woofer in my center channel. Just ran an RTA with pink noise yesterday and the speaker is better than expected, near perfect in fact, in FR from 100Hz to 10,000Hz, remember this is an in-room response using my miniDSPs for the crossover.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                    That Wavecor looks real good on paper. Nice smooth, extended response, good sensitivity, and low distortion in the mid range. A great candidate as a mid with a 95dB pro 12" woofer, crossing LR2 @ 2000Hz with the right tweeter.
                    What pro 12" woofer and tweeter would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by foxfire3 View Post
                      What pro 12" woofer and tweeter would you recommend?
                      The Eminence 3012LF and any 91dB tweeter. The RS28F would work, the SB26STAC.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

Comment

I am using the Scan 2604/833000 working up a design. It is very, VERY good. I have the bubbegum and tape version running.
                        Facebook Page - Ocean State Acoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                          The Eminence 3012LF and any 91dB tweeter. The RS28F would work, the SB26STAC.

Thank you Pete for the suggestions.

Comment

Hey Pete, why do you keep suggesting that Eminence woofer? Is there data on it somewhere?
                            Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
                              Hey Pete, why do you keep suggesting that Eminence woofer? Is there data on it somewhere?
                              Augerpro measured the HO version. Exceptional performance through the mid range.

It also made it into the Econowave Deluxe, Zilch's purported favorite version in the series.

FR
                              THD

Comment

Working...
                              X