X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• czag
    started a topic Test results for Scan-speak, Vifa, and Wavecor

Test results for Scan-speak, Vifa, and Wavecor

John sent me some results from the drivers I had sent him, I though I would share the results. He tested the Scan-speak discovery double magnet DX tweeter, the Vifa NE180-4, and the Wavecor WF152BD03.

Compare the new Scan-speak DX to the old vifa and Dayton RS28A below:

Scanspeak D2604-833000 FR
    [IMG][/IMG]

Scanspeak D2604-833000 HD

[IMG][/IMG]

Vifa DX25 HD

[IMG][/IMG]

Dayton RS28A HD

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking at the Scan-speak specs, it looks at though the Scan-speak version is an under hung design vs. the Vifa's over hung. I have heard that the Scan-speak now shares the same dome material as some of its' more expensive stable mates.

Vifa NE180-04 FR

[IMG][/IMG]

Vifa NE180-04 HD

[IMG][/IMG]

Wavecor WF152BD03 FR

[IMG][/IMG]

Wavecor WF152BD03 HD

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by czag; 03-21-2011, 09:32 PM.

• Audio4me
    replied
    Re: Test results for Scan-speak, Vifa, and Wavecor

sorry if I reply to a thread of five years ago.
    I would be very intrested to know if the tweeter Scanspeak D2604-833000 has no ferrofluid, i'm very intrested to this.
    someone has opened for inspection?
    thanks in advance
    Last edited by Audio4me; 02-02-2015, 06:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• czag
    replied

Originally posted by critofur View Post
    The WaveCor is $123, not $60?
    Right, but there aren't really any drivers that match its' combination of smooth extended response and low HD for less. The Peerless exclusive comes close, but is not quite as extended and is kind of ugly to my eyes.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• critofur
    replied

The WaveCor is $123, not $60?

Leave a comment:

• czag
    replied

Originally posted by michaelbz View Post
    Hello, I have a few questions.

You have the paper based Wavecor, correct?

Does it have a sticky coating?

Could you post CSD graphs of the above drivers? I realize FR graphs have the same info, but it is easier to visualize resonances with a CSD graph.

Thank you
    Yes, they are the paper based cones. I do not have these back yet, but the WF120BD04(s) that I have are the paper based cones also. They definetly coated, but it is not sticky and no tacky feel to it at all, not at all like the coated slit cone Scan-speaks I used to have. The Scan-Speaks were sticky and seemed to attract dust like a magnet, no such problem with the Wavecor(s).

Here is the CSD for the WF152BD03:

[IMG][/IMG]

Chris

Leave a comment:

• michaelbz
    replied

Hello, I have a few questions.

You have the paper based wavecor, correct?

Does it have a sticky coating?

Could you post CSD graphs of the above drivers? I realize FR graphs have the same info, but it is easier to visualize resonances with a CSD graph.

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• czag
    replied

Originally posted by NyxOne View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I got a pair of VIFA NE810 @ home so this information is really useful! Looks like I've picked a winner! Distortion is really low on these. Now all I need is a tweeter to team them with ... hummm maybe a SS D2604-833000! ;)

All those driver looks like winner to me ... except for the price for both woofer!

Chuck
    That is exactly what I was thinking of. It looks like Scan-Speak has made some significant improvements on what most thought were just vifa retreads.

The Wavecors are going in a center channel. Paying around $120/ea for the performance that those Wavecor drivers give is not a bad deal at all, although I paid much less on ebay from a private seller. The Peerless exclusive have similar performance for less, but I don't think I'll ever warm up to those silver frames and phase plug. The Wavecor full size tweeters look interesting also.

Chris
    Last edited by czag; 03-26-2011, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gordoncalder
    replied

Hey, thank you for posting those!

I've been looking for a mid exactly like that wavecor, and now I guess I've found it. Unless it should be the vifa instead..

I think the winners are ...us! Those look like great drivers, the prices seem reasonable, and now we have measurements to evaluate by and work from. Can we ask for more than that?

thanks again,

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
    How does it model in a vented box?
    80L tuned to 40Hz using a 4" diameter, 4.5" long port, gives F3 at 40Hz, capable of hitting 115dB from 36Hz on up.

Can you imagine a pair of them in the room? HOLY @H!z][

Really unlimited dynamics with your 1000W amp, as long as you're not pushing stuff below about 32Hz. If you want a woofer to keep up with that snappy 6600, this is it.

I want to use that big 10" WG and a 91dB tweeter, with that woofer, crossed around 700Hz.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTap
    replied

FYI, here's the spec sheet for the Wavecor

http://www.solen.ca/pdf/wavecor/WF152BD03_04.pdf

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTap
    replied

Augerpro measured the HO version. Exceptional performance through the mid range.
    How does it model in a vented box?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
    Hey Pete, why do you keep suggesting that Eminence woofer? Is there data on it somewhere?
    Augerpro measured the HO version. Exceptional performance through the mid range.

It also made it into the Econowave Deluxe, Zilch's purported favorite version in the series.

FR
    THD

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTap
    replied

Hey Pete, why do you keep suggesting that Eminence woofer? Is there data on it somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• foxfire3
    replied

The Eminence 3012LF and any 91dB tweeter. The RS28F would work, the SB26STAC.

Thank you Pete for the suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied

I am using the Scan 2604/833000 working up a design. It is very, VERY good. I have the bubbegum and tape version running.;)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X