How I kid-proofed my home theatre...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I kid-proofed my home theatre...

So after numerous less than satisfactory attempts to protect my SR71's and 12" Dayton ref sub from a curious 1-year-old, I finally bit the bullet and bought some nice gating from North States...

Very durable, and they have an ingenious system whereby the vertical hinge posts between the sections are removable, allowing you to configure the sections however you want. These hinge posts also tighten and lock to prevent pivoting. This really does a lot to make the whole setup very solid.

Ironically, the morning of the day that the gates arrived is when my son decided it would be fun to poke one of the dust caps in. Fortunately I was able to fix it perfectly with a toilet paper tube and some light suction with my own breath.

I'm very pleased with how this turned out, as it was a great excuse to spread the mains out a bit more. They're now a perfect equilateral triangle to the prime listening spot, and it sounds much more spacious now. I was a bit concerned that the center image would get too wide or sloppy for 2-channel content, but this hasn't been the case at all. It still has a very stable center image that makes you swear that the center channel is playing even when it's not... although it's even tighter still and better with 5.1, when the center is playing.

The Salamander Madrid AV cabinet was a big help too, obviously, with sliding glass doors that protect all of the electronics. If you look closely, you can see I installed a piece of quarter round molding that sits between the two doors, acting as a lock.

To attach them to the wall I simply used shelving brackets and zip ties. Very solid, believe it or not.

The center channel (Blackbird) is behind a reinforced grill... see my other recent thread for how I did this.

Now my little monkey can play in here without me worrying quite so much. As you can see, he takes after his daddy, he loves electronics... and drawing on his face with a pen, apparently...

Form does not follow function
    Form is simultaneous to function

Re: How I kid-proofed my home theatre...

Ha. He'll be back. I was going to suggest something like that but I thought it was a bit over the top. Looks great, should work for a long time.

Comment

Its always fun to try to "baby proof" the house. That is a good idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by CheapNeoGeo View Post
        Its always fun to try to "baby proof" the house. That is a good idea though.
        Don't get me started. This is nothing compared to what I've done in other parts of the house. It really is a big job if you don't want to spend every second running after him to keep him from destroying things or hurting himself.

Comment

...Basically the chain-link fence idea I keep throwing out there. Nicely done!

Gotta linky to the fencing? I wanna keep that idea open.
          Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            ...Basically the chain-link fence idea I keep throwing out there. Nicely done!

Gotta linky to the fencing? I wanna keep that idea open.
            Later,
            Wolf
            Sure, here ya go... it ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for... it really is sturdy, anything less would be a real headache...

Buy as many of these as you need, you can disassemble and reconfigure as you please... note how I used 3 sections on one side, 4 sections on the other...

http://www.amazon.com/Superyard-Meta...8&sr=1-2-spell

Comment

I see you purchased the electric fence option. Nice!

Regards,

Rob

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post

Comment

Hahahahahahaha when I read the title I immediately thought of something ridiculous, like "He's going to have barbed wire around his speakers, or an electric fence."

I wasn't that far off :P

Comment

Nice Lunch! Yes I agree, you have to be just as resourceful as the little rascals when it comes to proofing your house... But alas it never stops--try "baby proofing" your house for 20 year olds :eek:

Jason
                  Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Comment

Lunch did you install fans in your AV cabinet? Like you I went with sliding glass doors that are "latched" shut for the majority of the AV stuff. My concern is keeping my receiver cool after extended listening periods so I was looking at fans to hook up to my receiver's switched power to improve the airflow.

Take it easy
                    Jay
                    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
                    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
                    Levitation TM
                    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
                      Hey Dad, I think this mouse needs more salt! :D
                      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
                        Lunch did you install fans in your AV cabinet? Like you I went with sliding glass doors that are "latched" shut for the majority of the AV stuff. My concern is keeping my receiver cool after extended listening periods so I was looking at fans to hook up to my receiver's switched power to improve the airflow.

Take it easy
                        Jay
                        The cabinet has pretty good ventilation, with vents in the bottom and in the back... the AVR is a smidge too deep with the banana plugs anyways so I had to keep the back wide open anyways... hasn't been a problem.

Comment

kids are very quick learners. try a flyswatter. you wont use it but once.
                          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Are those still considered "speaker grilles"?

:D

Comment

Nice solution; although it may be retested in the "terrible twos"?

As one old sage said: "When you have kids, you have nothing else...". (Said after the kids got into his tool chest.:eek

Comment

Working...
                              X