X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlexRivera
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Panasonic mylar caps, Jantzen air-cores, and an NPE cap. I think that is the tweeter xover only.
    Later,
    Wolf

Thanks Wolf!

Looks like those don't exist in anything bigger than 10uF, at least I haven't been able to find them, that's why it looks like he may have used 2 X 10uF in parallel to fit the 20uF needed in the woofer.

I'm not sure what he meant when he said that Poly Caps can be "Pretty Salty" for the 50uF on the tweeter but I guess that's bad? That's why is safer to stick to the NPE right?

Best,
    Alex
    Last edited by AlexRivera; 06-29-2017, 10:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Panasonic mylar caps, Jantzen air-cores, and an NPE cap. I think that is the tweeter xover only.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• AlexRivera
    replied
    Hi All,

I got my hands in a pair of R28AS-4 so I'll try to implement the original design in a Trans Laminate cabinet, what would you recommend as far as crossover components go?

I'm not asking about $150 dollars Caps but more about what's the recommended quality to get the closest to the original design?

I wish I was experienced enough to be able to tell from the picture what components Mr. Bagby used .

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1503.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	1337026

Thanks,
    Alex

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Agreed on all counts, fellas.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied
    Originally posted by fdieck View Post

We are referring to the parallel notch with a small cap across a large baffle step inductor that appears in series with the cap to ground on many second order woofer low pass filters. It makes me a bit wary when this cap becomes close to value of the cap used in series with a 5 to 10 resistor used for a zobel network on the output of typical power amps.
    Yes, I agree with you on this layout......

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post

It all depends on how the components are laid out. My circuit does not do that because the series inductor controls the high frequency input impedance.
    We are referring to the parallel notch with a small cap across a large baffle step inductor that appears in series with the cap to ground on many second order woofer low pass filters. It makes me a bit wary when this cap becomes close to value of the cap used in series with a 5 to 10 resistor used for a zobel network on the output of typical power amps.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

I know that a tank provides amp instability in some cases by providing an ultrasonic short without a resistor tagged along. BUT- that is not what I was getting at, Fred. I was meaning that Jeff's circuit is a notch filter, just like what 'Everyone else used a notch filter' is a still notch filter. I know they work differently, and some work better for certain applications, but that wasn't my point.

Later,
    Wolf
    It all depends on how the components are laid out. My circuit does not do that because the series inductor controls the high frequency input impedance.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied
    As a general rule of thumb, the series notch is usually better when dealing with out of band issues and the parallel notch is better for in-band issues. If you look at designs by other experienced designers like Bamberg, Kreskovsky, Murphy, etc. you will see that they tend to follow this convention also.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by fdieck View Post
    I got distracted and didn't finish.... sorry. The two different approaches do present different input impedances to an amplifier at high frequencies and could in some cases affect amplifier stability with the case where the notch filter with two capacitors in series appear between the input and ground connections of the speaker.
    I know that a tank provides amp instability in some cases by providing an ultrasonic short without a resistor tagged along. BUT- that is not what I was getting at, Fred. I was meaning that Jeff's circuit is a notch filter, just like what 'Everyone else used a notch filter' is a still notch filter. I know they work differently, and some work better for certain applications, but that wasn't my point.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied
    http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1274906

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied
    I got distracted and didn't finish.... sorry. The two different approaches do present different input impedances to an amplifier at high frequencies and could in some cases affect amplifier stability with the case where the notch filter with two capacitors in series appear between the input and ground connections of the speaker.

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied
    Don- I don't know that an LC is simpler/better than another LC. Both series and parallel are notch filters.
    Later,
    Wolf
    I agree ..... you don't know.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Jeff -

So glad to hear your voice again.
    Looking forward to many more JB creations.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied
    Originally posted by donradick View Post

Of course you are right. My point was that I've seen a lot of series and parallel traps to handle breakup modes.
    Usually this is done separately from the LP topology
    Jeff's solution in this case is elegant.
    Thank you Don. I appreciate being called "elegant"

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Don- I don't know that an LC is simpler/better than another LC. Both series and parallel are notch filters.
    Later,
    Wolf

Of course you are right. My point was that I've seen a lot of series and parallel traps to handle breakup modes.
    Usually this is done separately from the LP topology
    Jeff's solution in this case is elegant.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X