Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My RS180 MTM Design

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: My RS180 MTM Design

    Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    No, it is not. The crossover would have to change slightly. That was why I was hesitant to post this, but several people sent me emails asking me to anyway. With the current version there would likely be a small dip in the crossover range. Increasing the first cap a little should smooth that out though, but I haven't done any work with that combo to see, and since I don't have these drivers anymore, I can't do that right now. Some people might like it better with the dip. It would only be a couple dB.
    Jeff, sorry to be so dense, but by first cap, do you mean the 10 or 50uf? And as a place to start in increasing the value are you thinking a 10% or 20% change? Thanks

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: My RS180 MTM Design

      Originally posted by dwigle View Post
      Jeff, sorry to be so dense, but by first cap, do you mean the 10 or 50uf? And as a place to start in increasing the value are you thinking a 10% or 20% change? Thanks
      I mean the 10uf, and I mean taking it to around 13uf for a starting point.
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: My RS180 MTM Design

        Jeff,

        I noticed in your profile that these speakers have their own plate amp's,
        I am keen to know who built these and how many watts they produce.

        Thank you.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: My RS180 MTM Design

          Jeff, how are these on the SPL side and low end extension compared to the Statements Monitors? I'm having second thoughts about those and their ability to integrate well with my 15" sub.
          Modding the Lepai T-Amp

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: My RS180 MTM Design

            Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
            Jeff, how are these on the SPL side and low end extension compared to the Statements Monitors? I'm having second thoughts about those and their ability to integrate well with my 15" sub.
            To be honest, I don't know what Statement monitors are, so I can't make the comparison. However, these crank pretty nicely, and blend very well with the sub in a pretty large playback room. Two 7" woofers move as much air as a 10" woofer, so they keep up OK.
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: My RS180 MTM Design

              Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
              To be honest, I don't know what Statement monitors are, so I can't make the comparison. However, these crank pretty nicely, and blend very well with the sub in a pretty large playback room. Two 7" woofers move as much air as a 10" woofer, so they keep up OK.
              http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statements_Monitor.html

              I'm questioning whether or not the statements will give me the output I want with my sub when they only have one of the RS180's and your design has two of them.
              Modding the Lepai T-Amp

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: My RS180 MTM Design

                Originally posted by Hunter12 View Post
                Jeff,

                I noticed in your profile that these speakers have their own plate amp's,
                I am keen to know who built these and how many watts they produce.

                Thank you.
                No, the design I posted is passive design. There is no amp with these. I built an earlier pair that was first powered by the MCM Biamp plate, but just didn't have enough output, so we stole the amps from a pair of Behringer B2031A's to power then with. Again, this project that I posted is all passive.
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: My RS180 MTM Design

                  Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                  http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statements_Monitor.html

                  I'm questioning whether or not the statements will give me the output I want with my sub when they only have one of the RS180's and your design has two of them.
                  Depends on how loud you want to play them. I would think mine will have higher power handling. And they will hit +6dB more output in the low end due to the extra woofer.
                  Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: My RS180 MTM Design

                    Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                    No, the design I posted is passive design. There is no amp with these. I built an earlier pair that was first powered by the MCM Biamp plate, but just didn't have enough output, so we stole the amps from a pair of Behringer B2031A's to power then with. Again, this project that I posted is all passive.

                    Thank you.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: My RS180 MTM Design

                      Jeff;
                      You asked if I have an amp that will handle 4 ohm speakers. It's an RX-V3900 Yammy which I think should be able to do it. I would place a center channel below my screen in a piece of furniture I am designing, it would have a shelf/pocket to accomodate the speaker cabinet, essentially placing it in a pretty large baffle (the furniture and the monitor surrounding it.) The speaker would be about listening height or a little below. Since the crossover is pretty low and 4th LR, from what I've read, it should work ok as a center.
                      Once again, thanks for your valuable input.
                      Steve

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: My RS180 MTM Design

                        Jeff,

                        That tweeter is out of stock. Can it be substituted for the RS28A-4?
                        Modding the Lepai T-Amp

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: My RS180 MTM Design

                          Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                          Jeff,

                          That tweeter is out of stock. Can it be substituted for the RS28A-4?
                          He answers that question in post #11.

                          Chris
                          Chris

                          Goofing around since 2000.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: My RS180 MTM Design

                            Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post

                            Here's the on-axis frequency response with the reverse null shown (for those that like that sort of thing...)

                            Jeff,

                            Does that curve indicate the system sensitivity to be about 90 db?

                            When xover FR SPL curves are plotted on this type of graph, does it always indicate system sensitivity?

                            Thanks,
                            Marv

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: My RS180 MTM Design

                              Originally posted by marvin View Post
                              Jeff,

                              Does that curve indicate the system sensitivity to be about 90 db?

                              When xover FR SPL curves are plotted on this type of graph, does it always indicate system sensitivity?

                              Thanks,
                              Marv
                              In this case, yes, 90dB.
                              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

                              95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: My RS180 MTM Design

                                Originally posted by marvin View Post
                                Jeff,

                                Does that curve indicate the system sensitivity to be about 90 db?

                                When xover FR SPL curves are plotted on this type of graph, does it always indicate system sensitivity?

                                Thanks,
                                Marv
                                In this case, yes. I use one method to measure sensitivity and another to measure the response, then I normalize the response to the sensitivity. Of course, not everyone's simulations are done this way, so you can't always assume.

                                Jeff
                                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X