• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wushuliu
    replied
    Re: My RS180 MTM Design

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    I really doesn't matter. Offset tweeters help with diffraction control; that it makes a difference in imaging is motly a myth. For placement you can choose. I have placed speakers both ways at different times.
    Thanks...

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post
    Tweeters outside (as seen in first post) or inside?
    I really doesn't matter. Offset tweeters help with diffraction control; that it makes a difference in imaging is motly a myth. For placement you can choose. I have placed speakers both ways at different times.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Personal preference. I'm pretty sure Jeff just put them on the floor for a quick photo. You'll notice there's no wiring to the cabs.

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post

Leave a comment:

• Wushuliu
    replied

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

You can always subscribe.

Leave a comment:

• violaplayer
    replied

Bump. Need to bump this above all the darn spam.

Leave a comment:

• Nassander
    replied

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
    Did you make any crossover changes?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Did you make any crossover changes?

Originally posted by Nassander View Post
    I did the swap, RS28F are in place. Much more to my liking. Brilliant first notes!

Leave a comment:

• Nassander
    replied

Originally posted by jclin4 View Post
    The upper end of the aluminum version of the RS28 drops off at 10kHz and above; I think that is what you are hearing. Some (maybe most) people do not miss it.

The RS28F might work better for you, but would require some resistor tweaking or compensation for the rising response in the fabric dome.
    I did the swap, RS28F are in place. Much more to my liking. Brilliant first notes!

Leave a comment:

• cwad8505
    replied

6th planet... I'm terribly sorry. I'm not sure how I missed your post. I used the RS28F with no changes to the xo and am perfectly happy with the results.
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• ontariomaximus
    replied

Would like to hear about what you compared them to

After several months of listening, here are my thoughts.

I did build this as my "reference" vs my own buildings.

First of all i have to say, that Jeff has done beautiful job. Mid range is as good as it can be from RS180. Tweeter is eh, tweeter. I have to say that i don't like this dayton very much. It's ok at least. Upper end shine is completely missing. Cymbals doesn't sound right. It reminds me of seas 27TBFCG/G.

Listenability with some bad recordings is decent.
    Anyway this gives me good example of voicing loudspeaker. Rooms are so different.

Leave a comment:

• jclin4
    replied

First of all i have to say, that Jeff has done beautiful job. Mid range is as good as it can be from RS180. Tweeter is eh, tweeter. I have to say that i don't like this dayton very much. It's ok at least. Upper end shine is completely missing. Cymbals doesn't sound right. It reminds me of seas 27TBFCG/G.

Anyway this gives me good example of voicing loudspeaker. Rooms are so different.
    The upper end of the aluminum version of the RS28 drops off at 10kHz and above; I think that is what you are hearing. Some (maybe most) people do not miss it.

The RS28F might work better for you, but would require some resistor tweaking or compensation for the rising response in the fabric dome.

Leave a comment:

• pick
    replied

I just read this thread yesterday, and I am very interested. I am working on an MTM design using the RS190S-8. I designed a crossover that provides good response for $60. The woofer portion of the circuit is shown below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark P RS180S XO.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1143832
    I was initially concerned that, while this circuit nicely provides 4th order LR acoustic response, it does not provide as much attenuation of the breakup modes as I would like. A picture of the woofer response is shown below.

Name:	Mark P RS180S-8.JPG
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1143833
    First, let me note that there is no baffle step compensation. This design is intended for in-wall use, and my measurement data was collected using a large baffle. The breakup modes around 10kHz are slightly less than 40dB down from the tweeter response. I keep wondering if this is good enough. I built the circuit and listened to some test tones. At normal levels, the woofer response near 10kHz is greatly attenuated but still audible. When I plug in the tweeter, it is much louder than woofer output at this frequency. I kind of think that woofer output 40dB down from the tweeter level should not cause too much noticeable trouble.
    The reason this thread caught my eye is because of the simplicity of Jeff's woofer circuit considering the high frequency response of the raw driver. I noticed that the original response plots were scaled to show the response only above 70dB. If I scale my plot this way, I do not see the woofer response at 10kHz. I modeled Jeff's circuit (using Jeff's tools, thanks Jeff). The picture below shows the response of Jeff's circuit on the same scale as mine. Based on the positive response to Jeff's design, I assume my final result will be acceptable.

Name:	Jeff B RS180S-8.JPG
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1143834
    I would love to hear some opinions on the matter. Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Nassander
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 6thplanet
    replied

So cwad8505...which mids and tweeter did you end up using?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X