Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: I ask for your prayers/positive energy

Hi All,

I had two speaker related items on my list this Spring, one to build a modified version of Dan's BaSSlines that he and I had been working on and two to attend the Indiana meeting. Unfortunately I won't be able to do either. I just turned 50 in December, but was also given a diagnosis of stage 2 nasopharyngeal cancer about 2 weeks ago.

I considered myself a rather healthy guy, in the prime of my life, working toward retirement. I've been rather devastated and my world has changed dramatically. Now, I hope I make it to my next birthday. At least I got the pleasure of building a pair of Continuums. I play them often and continue to enjoy them very much. Thanks Jeff.

I ask for your prayers and positive energy. I am trying to stay positive. I start radiation and chemotherapy on April 11. The radiation goes on for 6 weeks. I hope one day to get back to this hobby. In the meantime, please enjoy the life and health you have. It is truly a gift!

Darren

Re: OT: I ask for your prayers/positive energy

You've got them from all of us Darren.

Comment

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I can imagine this must be tough. My father in law (who my wife and I live with temporarily while we're saving up for a house) went through lung cancer this past year where they needed to remove a lung and he went through various stages of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. It was a tough and very stressful time, especially with medical complications that came after the surgery where his heart rate would randomly spike to the 200's. He just finished his last CAT scan after his last round of chemo and is finally on a more hopeful route to recovery.

I pray that you and your family can get through this and that God protect you as you undergo treatment. Not sure what your beliefs are, but don't give up hope that God's watching your back. Try to keep a positive attitude about it and it will help everyone else around you. You'll get through this, just hang in there.
      Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

I've been through 4 surgeries, radiation, & chemo for a rare thyroid cancer, Stage 4x when diagnosed. They didn't get it all, and it spread. But 3 years later I'm still here. Initial diagnoses will always be the scariest part, and waiting for people to do something will be far worse than the treatments. Your probably Stage 1 if you're under 40. Those are typically treatable tumors, with a relatively high success rate. You'll focus on the negative outcomes at first. Eventually, you'll get past that and head out to kick its @ss.

Find doctors you like and trust. Question everything. Trust nobody to do the paper work right. (Keep copies of your own files & scans). I've got one of the best ENT/Endocrine surgeons on the planet. If you need a name of the right guy/gal for this, Mike will know. (He even went to school in Wisconsin). Email me if I can help.

Hang in there brother. You're now a member of the club nobody wants to join. Start by believing you will make it out the other side. Your goal is to die with the Big C, not from it. I've learned ugly & scarred beats the he11 out of the afterlife.
        Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
        "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
        Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Originally posted by dian1511 View Post
          Hi All,

I had two speaker related items on my list this Spring, one to build a modified version of Dan's BaSSlines that he and I had been working on and two to attend the Indiana meeting. Unfortunately I won't be able to do either. I just turned 50 in December, but was also given a diagnosis of stage 2 nasopharyngeal cancer about 2 weeks ago.

I considered myself a rather healthy guy, in the prime of my life, working toward retirement. I've been rather devastated and my world has changed dramatically. Now, I hope I make it to my next birthday. At least I got the pleasure of building a pair of Continuums. I play them often and continue to enjoy them very much. Thanks Jeff.

I ask for your prayers and positive energy. I am trying to stay positive. I start radiation and chemotherapy on April 11. The radiation goes on for 6 weeks. I hope one day to get back to this hobby. In the meantime, please enjoy the life and health you have. It is truly a gift!

Darren
          So sorry to hear this, Darren. I will be praying for you, and will add you to our prayer list. Keep positive, Darren. It makes a big difference.
          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
            You're now a member of the club nobody wants to join. Start by believing you will make it out the other side. Your goal is to die with the Big C, not from it. I've learned ugly & scarred beats the he11 out of the afterlife.
            Thanks a lot. I had to half chuckle and half cry when I read this. It is so true. I'm finding out so many things about myself, my family and friends I did not know before. I will stay positive.

Comment

Thanks for the positive thoughts and support. It means a lot. I'm encouraged to know that others worse off have survived. It's just that at this point I really feel like someone hit me really hard in the gutt and it sort of knocked the wind out of me for a while.

Do post lots of pics from the Indiana get together and have a beer or wine for me!

Comment

Darren, I was wondering why you haven't been posting of late and if you were pursuing the modified BassLines build. I was looking forward to seeing you again at InDIYana this year and share some wine. Keep as positive of an outlook as you can and know that it can help you achieve a good outcome. Don't give up. Fight!!!
                Paul

Comment

I'm sorry for your news. A former co-worker of mine was diagnosed with the same cancer/stage (he was 28). He is now on year four of being cancer free.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Darren,

I will add you to our prayer list. My mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer last August. She is fighting. We are fighting with her.

You are a young man. KICK ITS A$$, my friend. I am sure I can speak for the others here on the forum by saying we WILL stand with you! Keep your head up. Keep building speakers. You enjoy it. Pop in on the forum. We will want to here from you.

My advice to you is make sure you get copies of everything!! Reports, scans whatever. Get a second opinion perhaps. We did with Mom and we are so very glad that we did. Oh I cannot say how glad we are we did that. Take matters into your own hands. If things are not happening fast enough then MAKE THEM HAPPEN. Call and push things along. Do not wait on them.

Again, we will be here for you!

Todd
                    Real amplifiers GLOW in the DARK!
                    Nothing kicks A$$ like Glowing Glass!

Comment

You are in our prayers.

Comment

You'll be missed this year, Darren, but I know you'll be back when you can.

Keep up your chin, and blow that cancer from within!! I've been told that suggestive/positve thought processes help,
                        like visualizing the army going to war and taking out the cancer cells from within your body. Don't know how good your
                        imagination is, but what could it hurt?

I know you can do it, stay positive.
                        Lou really does have good advice to use and learn from.

You're in my prayers,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I don't know if it helps but I was dead for over a minute, the whole nine yards, light in the end of a tunnel... Was very surprised and almost disappointed then they brought me back. Changes the perspective on life.
                          Anyways, we are all dealt cards and you got a crappy hand. Sorry man. I wish you the best and I hope chemo and radiation will go as smooth as humanly possible. I really do. Get through it, fight it.
                          http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I'm praying for you as well. Be strong. Get Well.

We're all pulling for you!

Mark
                            You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

There are many variables as to precise staging and diagnosis, and every person's cancer is different, but the long term outlook for Stage II malignancies of your type is very good.

I have no doubt you'll be back on track in no time.

In the meantime do everything your doctors ask of you, stay strong with a positive attitude and stay close to your family and friends. The strength and love of those around you will see you through.

Consider this just another bump in life's road and your time spent ridding yourself of the bastard as simply another chapter in "PeeWee's Big Adventure".

Don't forget to laugh!

All my best to you Parts Express friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X