MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

Ed Rosenquist sent me some pictures of the first MiniByzy cabinet construction. So I thought I'd go ahead and start the build thread to document some of the steps Ed's taken to fashion the incredible cabinets we schemed up a few months back. He's mastered the pre-stressed panel construction technique, which results in fantastically strong enclosures. Being a guitar maker has its advantages as well.

Sadly, these aren't for me, but gladly, I get to work on them and listen for a while. You can bet that DoubleTap will be giving his input as well, since he's the source for the Ushers. Should be real stunners when completed. Can't wait to see what hardwood Ed is going to cut the baffles from.

Look familiar? The MiniByzy, 20" tall, 11" at the base, and 16" deep when baffle is applied. Rear mounted woofer and tweeter, with removable solid hardwood baffle with integral 7" waveguide carved into it. Ed says his choice of wood will wait until something moves him when he's in the hardwood store. That will dictate whether paint or veneer goes onto the body of the speaker.

Tentative Driver compliment, Usher 8948A, RS28F. Vent on the bottom baffle. Epoxy/HDF sandwich, pre-stressed, curved panels for the sides, rear/top. Vinyl/aluminum damping on interior walls sealed in acoustic dampening paint. 2" Mineral wool acoustic panels on the sides, bottom and rear.

Should be right up there with these $2800 Ushers.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Re: MiniByzy (Mini Byzantium) Build Thread

Very, very, cool, Pete. I don't suppose such cabs will ever be available for DIYers. Any plan to build a matching sub?

John

Comment

Originally posted by OlderMongrel View Post
      Very, very, cool, Pete. I don't suppose such cabs will ever be available for DIYers. Any plan to build a matching sub?

John
      The matching sub comes included in the full size Byzantium . . . :D

That is something to look into for sure. Complimenting that shape could be a real challenge as a bass bin.

I'm not sure Ed's ready to make such cabinets available to the DIY'er just yet. ;)

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Whoa!:eek: I GOTTA clean the garage!!! At least I made the seasonal trip to take all the bottles and cans back Saturday!!! :rolleyes:
        The Past is history. The Future is a mystery. Today is a gift; that's why its called the Present. (Grand Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda)

Comment

Originally posted by D, Rose View Post
          Whoa!:eek: I GOTTA clean the garage!!! At least I made the seasonal trip to take all the bottles and cans back Saturday!!! :rolleyes:
          Those are going to be sweet. I bet there will be a lot of "what was I thinking" moments.

Dave
          http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
          https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

Originally posted by D, Rose View Post
            Whoa!:eek: I GOTTA clean the garage!!!
            Why?
            "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
            http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
            http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

Those should end up looking fabulous. I'm deliriously happy if I manage to end up with completely square cabinets!:p
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by davepellegrene View Post
                Those are going to be sweet. I bet there will be a lot of "what was I thinking" moments.

Dave
                You and Ed are quite the inspirational fabricators. It's amazing to me that this is perhaps Ed's 4th attempt at cabinet building (I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm off by a mile). He's just a natural. Helps to have the right tools for the job, but he's got a mind for finding the simple way to reach the end goal.

I'd love to show all you guys his jigs for those side panels . . . but then I'd have to shoot you. :p

Comment

Ed's making rapid progress. These will be amazingly strong/rigid cabinets. And he's got some nice plans for interior wall damping.

Comment

Sides getting glued to the bottom.

Comment

How the heck were those side panels bent?
                      Form does not follow function
                      Form is simultaneous to function

Comment

Very cool :-D Is that hardboard for the sides? Looks like the thin layers (1/16") were bent and laminated in the bent form, then cut.

Comment

Wait 'til you see top/back on each cabinet. I'll be scratching my head bald asking how he does that.

Comment

Another update from Ed. Check out the Curly Narra block. He's going to be slicing that up into a pair of identical book matched 1.5" thick baffles.

Really pretty curves on the top view. And check out the new toy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                              Very cool :-D Is that hardboard for the sides? Looks like the thin layers (1/16") were bent and laminated in the bent form, then cut.
                              Six, 1/8" HDF boards with epoxy in between each layer. Amazingly strong when cured. Panels are under a LOT of tension as they cure, resulting in a type of pre-stressed panel at the end. It's the hardest cabinet material I've ever encountered that wasn't marble or metal. Think, bowling ball, and you get an idea of how hard and stiff the result is.

Comment

Working...
                              X