Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Size of capacitor vs frequency it blocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nick650
    started a topic Size of capacitor vs frequency it blocks

Size of capacitor vs frequency it blocks

• nick650
    replied
    Re: Size of capacitor vs frequency it blocks

JESUS THE INFO!! :D

I sent you a message and hopefully you can help me a bit more!

Thanks a ton!

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied

Originally posted by nick650 View Post
    Yes to the whole thing or?? I have no clue what I'm doing and need help to figure things out.

Thanks
    Looking at the 7" woofer and tweeter curves you linked to:

The tweeter's a bit ugly near 2k, unfortunately near its resonance. A cap alone will never roll that tweeter off safely on its own.

I'd use a 2 ohm series resistor (pads the tweeter down to the woofer's level) and a 2nd order filter using an 8uF cap, and a small 0.10mH shunt coil (to ground).

2nd order on the woofer as well. A small 0.20mH series coil, followed by a 4uF shunt cap, with a Zobel (6 ohm resistor & 33uF cap) across the woofer terminals, AND a 3uF cap in parallel with the 0.20mH coil. This keeps the breakup "garbage" around 4-5kHz in check.

This crosses the woofer and tweeter around 4kHz. A 7" woofer starts to "beam" above 2k, but that's all we've got to work with here.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Yes, to finding another tweeter, and to having a preference for a woofer to naturally roll off rather than attempt to fix.

Leave a comment:

• nick650
    replied

Yes to the whole thing or?? I have no clue what I'm doing and need help to figure things out.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

IMO - yes

Leave a comment:

• nick650
    replied

Yes there is a gap and was wondering if it would be best to get a better tweeter to fill in that gap or? Then the next thing is the overlapping and if it is best for the woofer to naturally roll off or build a passive network to fix all that.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Next issue I looked at is the frequency response of the woofer; doesn't seem to do well after 1k Hz.
    The Legatia L1V2 tweeter has an (Fs): 1,830 Hz, and a Recommended Minimum Crossover: 3,200 Hz at 24 dB/octave highpass ( Frequency 2,500 Hz – 25,000 Hz, +/- 3 dB. )
    That leaves a response gap - above 1Khz, and below the tweeters safe bandpass.

Leave a comment:

• nick650
    replied

What I'm doing is: Connect the midbass drivers to the amplifier directly with no filters in between the amplifier and midbass speaker. For the tweeters, you can run a second pair of speaker wires from the amplifier (there are advantages to this; it’s called bi-wiring), or simply connect the tweeter
    wiring right off of the midbass or midbass’ wiring. You will then install the capacitor on the positive lead of the tweeter’s speaker wire.

So technically all i can do is a HP filter for my midrange witch will be set at 50 Hz 24DB slope. The tweeter then needs a crossover or a capacitor. Next issue I looked at is the frequency response of the woofer; doesn't seem to do well after 1k Hz. What I'm getting at is would a crossover with all these cut off's and slops give me better quality sound then running it active in a bi-wiring mode with just a simple capacitor in series for it?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

... I could build an X-over for this whole setup but I feel I can just get by on using some simple caps to do the filtering.
    Actually it's the same thing in function....
    Are the tweeters to be fed a filtered signal off an active crossover?

Leave a comment:

• nick650
    replied

Would it be better to get this tweeter instead? http://store.12velectronics.com/prod...eeter-Set.html

I'm trying to figure out what to do since I bought the woofer but not the tweeter. I could build an X-over for this whole setup but I feel I can just get by on using some simple caps to do the filtering.

Thank you all for your help so far!

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Cut off range of that is?
    For a 4 ohm tweeter about 5850Hz.

Leave a comment:

• nick650
    replied

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
    If all youre going to install in terms of passive components is a cap to protect the tweeter, then a 6.8 uF 630V should work for you.
    Cut off range of that is?

Note: I bought them slightly used for $275 with a slight scuff mark on the side of the woofer, so I got a great deal on them.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• dwigle
    replied

Wow, those prices are absurd. I can't imagine spending that much for a car system. That's in accuton and RAAL altitude.

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied

I plan to do a 50Hz low pass filter (off my Zed Leviathan amp) and do a quasi active and do one cap in series with the tweeter to protect it so I get the most out of my system since crossovers eat all the power and make my speakers not sound the best.
    If all youre going to install in terms of passive components is a cap to protect the tweeter, then a 6.8 uF 630V should work for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X