• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cowtown
    replied
    Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

Originally posted by kmibb View Post
    Did you do a write-up on those speaker stands? :P

These are going to be sweet, and you work very quickly.
    The speaker stands are super easy:

1) Go to IKEA and buy 2 stools

2) Stain them and call them "Imported Scandinavian Speaker Supports"

:p

Leave a comment:

• kmibb
    replied

Originally posted by cowtown View Post
    Made some progress over the weekend. I've started up a build thread in the project forum for anyone who's interested: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...02#post1733802

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions!

Did you do a write-up on those speaker stands? :P

These are going to be sweet, and you work very quickly.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

The baffle treatment on the Statement Monitor is spooky. Your eye really doesn't see the square corner, just an outstanding job there. The reconfigured Tarkus are going to be a nice match. I bow to your skills.

Originally posted by cowtown View Post
    Made some progress over the weekend. I've started up a build thread in the project forum for anyone who's interested: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...02#post1733802

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Sweet! We have liftoff!

Leave a comment:

• cowtown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

He has a build thread. That's bare mdf with paint and stain. Pretty sweet isn't it. Search for Tarkus by Bolland83

Originally posted by WesL View Post
    I'm super digging the finish on those! You wouldnt happen to have a tutorial link on how to do that would ya? :D

Leave a comment:

• WesL
    replied

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
    I have no idea what your wife is talking about... what's "decor unfriendly" about these? :D Then again, this is coming from a guy who has a black shag rug in his living room, so maybe I'm not the best guy to listen to regarding decorating tips. I will say, your cabs do look nice though.
    I'm super digging the finish on those! You wouldnt happen to have a tutorial link on how to do that would ya? :D

Leave a comment:

• cowtown
    replied

Still playing around with the braces. I read everything I could find here about bracing, and it seems like a more minimalist setup with unevenly-spaced 3/4" dowels every few inches and tying the sides together is a decent way to go.

I may have some time on Friday to cut out the baffles and braces, and start building the skeleton that the curved panels will mount to.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

My understanding of curved sides is that they do a lot of resonance control on their own. So that leaves the front and back panels. The back panel has the one brace running down the middle, so that's good. It may want one more brace. The front baffle may need more bracing, even if it's just a dowel.

I wouldn't worry too much about the width. Yes, it's true that it's wider than spec right at the mid, however it should average out much better once you account for the fact that the baffle gets quite slim at the top.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Add more bracing.

On the baffle, between mid and tweet, run a brace to the back of the mid enclosure. If you can squeeze in one more of those vertical window braces, do. 6" between braces ain't bad, but 4" is even better.

I wouldn't worry too much about baffle width, since the woofer is handling most of the baffle step anyway.

Leave a comment:

• cowtown
    replied

I think I'm getting close to the end of the SketchUp tutorial/cabinet design phase :D SketchUp is the coolest thing ever.

So this is about the best I can do in terms of keeping driver spacing, baffle width, and overall box volume as close as possible to Paul's original Tarkus design. Overall height is the same at 38", driver CTC spacing is identical, woofer box volume is about 62L net (same as spec) and the sealed mid/tweet box is about 12.5L net (spec is a bit over 13L I think). By my calculations, anyway. To calculate overall width I didn't actually bust out any calculus integrals, but just took 8 evenly spaced measurements and averaged them for the width. I hope this is close enough.

I could use some advice on a couple more things:

Bracing: too much? Not enough? All internal braces are drawn as 1/2" MDF, while the cabinet hull is 3/4" MDF. This gave me another liter or so to work with.

Port: the port I'm planning to use is the 3" ID, 8.5" long Precision Port, but I haven't bought it yet so if there's a better option I'd appreciate hearing it.

Finally, the baffle width for the for the mid is off quite a bit from the spec (10 11/16" instead of the spec 9"). Will this result in muddy or overemphasized mids? If so, will it be fixable with an lpad or some other simple tweak? The woofer and tweeter are much closer to spec. (Spec is 13" and 9" respectively).

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far. I'm having a lot of fun with this one.

Colin
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Got the Sketchup file with no problem. Thanks and good luck with the build. Sweet speaker design and a sweet cab to go with it. ;)

Leave a comment:

• bolland83
    replied

I have no idea what your wife is talking about... what's "decor unfriendly" about these? :D Then again, this is coming from a guy who has a black shag rug in his living room, so maybe I'm not the best guy to listen to regarding decorating tips. I will say, your cabs do look nice though.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Build up the sides with thin layers of luan or Masonite panels. They easily bend one at a time. Make a form to bend them over, and use it to build both the left and right panels. With that radius, you could get away with 3/16th thick Masonite, and simply clamping the ends down, after applying a thin layer of glue between layers, should get you all the force you need. Stack the 5 layers of 3/16th and clamp them all together over the form and you'll have your panels once the glue dries.

I suppose you could glue them directly on a skeletal frame, one layer at a time.

Leave a comment:

• john trials
    replied

I really like your circular grills. Great idea! I forgot all about those.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X