Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

    Hi All,
    Working under the premise "it's better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission," I bought all the drivers and components for a set of the Carmody Tarkus(es). I've really wanted to build them since he published the design.

    My wife has strongly encouraged me not to build the stock design, citing reasons of home decor and whatnot (please don't be offended Paul Carmody - I think the design is really cool). She is willing to compromise on a one-piece design with roundovers and curves.

    Working under the assumption that my options are to "civilize" the Tarkus design or not to build them at all, I'm asking for some help and suggestions about a cabinet with a tapered (narrowing-width) baffle that will still be as true as possible to the original design.

    Below I've attached a SketchUp models of:
    1) the stock two-piece Tarkus cabinets
    2) a proposed curved-cabinet design
    3) draft measurements of the proposed tapered baffle

    For the curved cabinet, I've kept the driver spacing, mounting positions, and box volume as spec'ed in the two-piece design. The curved cabinet will be a few inches taller, which from what I understand is an OK thing to do(?).

    I'm hoping that the only sticky problem that needs solving here is whether it is possible to do a curved baffle, and also stay relatively true to the design's original baffle widths. I understand that there may be crossover/EQ tweaks needed, but would like start out with the as-designed crossover if at all possible.

    Is there a way to calculate the proper widths for a tapered-width baffle so as not to mess up BSC and frequency response too badly? My first stab at it (pictures #2 and 3) has been to keep the baffle widths at the mid-points of each driver the same as in the original two-piece design. For example, the edge-to-edge baffle width throught the center of the woofer is 13". But at the top edge of the woofer, width is down to 11.5" and it's a bit over 14" at the bottom of the woofer. I would also like to do a 3/4" roundover on the vertical edges of the baffle.

    Am I on the right track? Is there a right track, or is this just a bad idea? I REALLY want a pair of Tarkus(es).

    Thanks!
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

    I just realized that the top-of-cabinet dimensions are not consistent between the curved-cabinet picture and the baffle picture.

    Please look at the baffle-only picture (#3) for the dimensions that I'm kicking around.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

      I am not an expert, but I think your new design is beautiful. I don't think you will have any significant issues due to your proposed baffles.

      I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

      High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

      Tangband W6-sub

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

        I like the look of your design. I'm no expert either, but changing it to a flat-faced baffle will alter the design significantly imo. Iow, the tipped back woofer.

        Also keep in mind the distance from the baffle edge to the drivers centers and the driver center to center spacing remains the same. Sounds like you know all that though and are asking the right questions of which I don't know either. I would assume that if the baffle width is the same next to the drivers, baffle step would be similar, maybe it depends on the amount of taper. Seems like where the largest necessary discrepancy will be is at the tweeter where it's obviously going to have to be narrower. Good luck. If you succeed those are going to be awesome.
        Buyout MTMWW

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

          Aside from the change in acoustic offset of the woofer, where it matters least since the XO point is very long wavelength, the compromise on the baffle shape should keep the overall response very close to the original.

          I really like the shape. Reminds me of my favorite speaker. No reason that couldn't be done, and if necessary, tweaked in the XO.

          But if these are going to be used in a TV room setting, the AVR has all the EQ it needs to take care of whatever small changes the different baffle shape might make.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

          95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

            Originally posted by gabel87 View Post
            I like the look of your design. I'm no expert either, but changing it to a flat-faced baffle will alter the design significantly imo. Iow, the tipped back woofer.
            I seem to recall Paul mentioning that the tilted-back woofer was for aesthetics only, and would work just fine if not tilted back.
            Form does not follow function
            Form is simultaneous to function

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

              Originally posted by cowtown View Post
              Hi All,
              Working under the premise "it's better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission," I bought all the drivers and components for a set of the Carmody Tarkus(es). I've really wanted to build them since he published the design.

              My wife has strongly encouraged me not to build the stock design, citing reasons of home decor and whatnot (please don't be offended Paul Carmody - I think the design is really cool). She is willing to compromise on a one-piece design with roundovers and curves.

              Working under the assumption that my options are to "civilize" the Tarkus design or not to build them at all, I'm asking for some help and suggestions about a cabinet with a tapered (narrowing-width) baffle that will still be as true as possible to the original design.

              Below I've attached a SketchUp models of:
              1) the stock two-piece Tarkus cabinets
              2) a proposed curved-cabinet design
              3) draft measurements of the proposed tapered baffle

              For the curved cabinet, I've kept the driver spacing, mounting positions, and box volume as spec'ed in the two-piece design. The curved cabinet will be a few inches taller, which from what I understand is an OK thing to do(?).

              I'm hoping that the only sticky problem that needs solving here is whether it is possible to do a curved baffle, and also stay relatively true to the design's original baffle widths. I understand that there may be crossover/EQ tweaks needed, but would like start out with the as-designed crossover if at all possible.

              Is there a way to calculate the proper widths for a tapered-width baffle so as not to mess up BSC and frequency response too badly? My first stab at it (pictures #2 and 3) has been to keep the baffle widths at the mid-points of each driver the same as in the original two-piece design. For example, the edge-to-edge baffle width throught the center of the woofer is 13". But at the top edge of the woofer, width is down to 11.5" and it's a bit over 14" at the bottom of the woofer. I would also like to do a 3/4" roundover on the vertical edges of the baffle.

              Am I on the right track? Is there a right track, or is this just a bad idea? I REALLY want a pair of Tarkus(es).

              Thanks!
              I really like your proposed design.
              I can't speak to the crossover specifics, as I don't have the knowledge, but I like your layout of the drivers and the basic overall look of what you propose. What's even cooler is that it shouldn't be all that hard to pull off. Multiple thinner layers for the sides should be easy enough to manage.

              I think you have a winner!

              TomZ

              P.S. I like curves too.
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

              *Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

                Wow, that's a beautiful design.

                My quick "thumbnail" calculations say that your proposed baffle width--its average, anyway--is close enough to the original that the crossover should sound the same as the original. Also, Pete is correct that the "tilted" woofer is just for aesthetics, and that the wavelengths are so long at those frequencies (about 3-4 feet around the XO point) that one definitely has some wiggle room in terms of aligning the acoustic centers of the drivers.

                I hope your wife gives it the OK, because I sure like it!
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

                Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

                  Looks good. The top will give you some issues if you want it flat all the way across. If so, you probably want to solve that problem before the cab is assembled.

                  Any chance you would share the Sketchup drawing of the stock Tarkus? Very nice work there as well.
                  I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                  OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                  Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                  Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                  Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                  LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

                    Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
                    I seem to recall Paul mentioning that the tilted-back woofer was for aesthetics only, and would work just fine if not tilted back.
                    I thought when designers tilted the baffle it was to merge the sound at a specific point in space. At what frequency does it not matter as much?

                    btw cowtown, I like the boat-like theme. Make a dbl ender and cut in half and you've got your cabs ;)
                    Buyout MTMWW

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

                      Those look like they will be a very nice build.
                      Thanks ,
                      JB

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

                        Facinating to see how design can alter the character of a speaker.

                        The neat thing with you plan is it's retained the bold character
                        of a powerful three way speaker but presented in a low key
                        elegant presentation.

                        Well done, were there is a will there is a way.

                        You give many of us hope.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

                          Originally posted by gabel87 View Post
                          I thought when designers tilted the baffle it was to merge the sound at a specific point in space. At what frequency does it not matter as much?
                          Not sure, really depends on the particular speaker... but when Paul sim'd these, he found that tilting or not tilting didn't make much difference.
                          Form does not follow function
                          Form is simultaneous to function

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

                            Thanks everyone for all the replies. I was honestly expecting a few more "don't do it!" answers, but it looks like it's a go!

                            This will be a really slow build. I'm learning SketchUp along the way, really want to learn how to build curved cabinets for the first time, and we also have kids in little league, karate, cubscouts, etc. I'll update this thread as I make progress.

                            Reminds me of my favorite speaker. No reason that couldn't be done, and if necessary, tweaked in the XO.
                            Pete, your Dayton/Scan design was definitely an influence. They are beautiful.

                            Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                            I really like your proposed design. I can't speak to the crossover specifics, as I don't have the knowledge, but I like your layout of the drivers and the basic overall look of what you propose. What's even cooler is that it shouldn't be all that hard to pull off. Multiple thinner layers for the sides should be easy enough to manage.
                            I think you have a winner!
                            Tom, I checked out some of your album last night. Your work is incredible.

                            Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                            Wow, that's a beautiful design.
                            My quick "thumbnail" calculations say that your proposed baffle width--its average, anyway--is close enough to the original that the crossover should sound the same as the original. Also, Pete is correct that the "tilted" woofer is just for aesthetics, and that the wavelengths are so long at those frequencies (about 3-4 feet around the XO point) that one definitely has some wiggle room in terms of aligning the acoustic centers of the drivers.
                            I hope your wife gives it the OK, because I sure like it!
                            Paul, thanks for taking the time to check it out, and for all the work you put in on your designs. I've built three pairs of your Overnight Sensations; 2 pairs for 7.1 surrounds and one for my son's room (the green and gold ones in the picture attached).

                            Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                            Looks good. The top will give you some issues if you want it flat all the way across. If so, you probably want to solve that problem before the cab is assembled.
                            I was thinking I could probably shim up the cabinets to make a right angle, then run a long flush-trim bit there, but you're right that it will be tricky. I guess a hand-planer could be a fallback position.

                            Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                            Any chance you would share the Sketchup drawing of the stock Tarkus?
                            Sure thing. I've tried to attach the file. Hope it works. I just started learning SketchUp last week, so no guarantees on whether it's good technique.

                            Originally posted by gabel87
                            btw cowtown, I like the boat-like theme. Make a dbl ender and cut in half and you've got your cabs
                            I've never done any curves...the Statement Monitors I built about 2 years ago (picture attached) have tapered veneer to try to give that "boat" feel, but it's a spec cabinet build. I like the light/dark contrasts.


                            Anyway, what's the Peter Principle again? My confidence and ambition will rise just to the point where everything goes horribly wrong? :D


                            Attachments:
                            1,2) Statement Monitors with the "boat" theme, Overnight Sensations as decorated by a 6-year old
                            3) Progress on the curved cabs. A vertical brace with integrated sealed mid/tweet box comes next.
                            4) Stock Tarkus sketchup model - I put it here: http://www.omsoft.com/cokeefe/tarkus...sREFERENCE.skp

                            Thanks everyone! I'll keep posting Sketchup pictures at they progress.
                            Colin
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Tarkus being "civilized" for acceptance by spouse

                              I really like your circular grills. Great idea! I forgot all about those.
                              Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X