Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

    I've got two of these I'd love to mod a little. Any chance you could snap a photo of the upgraded internals and label which caps were replaced along with the new cap values?

    -j

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

      Originally posted by james_e5 View Post
      I've got two of these I'd love to mod a little. Any chance you could snap a photo of the upgraded internals and label which caps were replaced along with the new cap values?

      -j
      I definitely plan to do that once I get all of the caps replaced. I will upload a picture with what I've done so far in a bit.
      Modding the Lepai T-Amp

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

        Why not just get a T-amp that's of infinitely better quality for just twice the price? Okay, that doesn't include transformer/PS price I guess so maybe more like $80. I mean there's lipstick on a pig but this is like plastic surgery silicone implants on a pig!

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

          Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post
          Why not just get a T-amp that's of infinitely better quality for just twice the price? Okay, that doesn't include transformer/PS price I guess so maybe more like $80. I mean there's lipstick on a pig but this is like plastic surgery silicone implants on a pig!
          eh, because you still need the case, the power supply (which for a 31v regulated is not cheap at all), there are no tone controls (I like to have them), and there are no terminals. So once you've paid $60 for the unit shipped and another $40-$50 for the power supply, the terminals, the knob, etc, you could have bought and modified 4-5 of these Lepai amps.

          Right now, I'm looking at $60 for two Lepai amps for my outdoor use. These will be mounted on a pair of Overnight Sensations MTMs with bi-amp terminals.
          Modding the Lepai T-Amp

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

            Alright, got some pictures. You'll notice after I pulled off the original blue caps that there were 3 mounting points on the board for different capacitor sizes depending on the lead spacing. It turns out that the new caps I bought actually fit the larger spacing hole, which worked out perfectly since it doesn't make a difference which one you use (the two holes that are directly next to each other are bridged).
            Attached Files
            Modding the Lepai T-Amp

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

              Well then, for as many people who wanted to see the results of these, there sure aren't very many replies to these photos, lol.

              I replaced the rest of the capacitors and tried it out. I made one big mistake that I didn't know about. I ordered 2.2uf 50V electrolytic caps to replace 1.75uf 50V electrolytic caps. The result was 31% THD at anywhere between 80 and 150hz at -20db with my testing software. In retrospect, that number was 12% before I replaced those. I pulled them out and put the factory ones back in, and that fixed the problem. I hope nobody ordered the parts from the list I posted because you'd be in for a rude surprise. I don't actually remember having seen 1.75uf caps anywhere either, so you might be stuck leaving those in there.

              At this point I don't have speakers good enough to actually hear further differences. I've tested these off of Peerless India 3" buyout drivers in mini cubes. Terrible for high frequency response. I'm almost done building a set of Overnight Sensations MTMs to get some better tests run.

              I'll have a writeup put together in the next few days.
              Modding the Lepai T-Amp

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

                If I get one from PE that doesn't work, I may try your upgrades in an effort to fix it. The ones I've recieved have worked fine right out of the box so far, so can't see risking ruining one that works. I haven't had any problem with the 2A power supplies either. I have been able to run all 8 of the units I have up to max volume without any LEDs dimming or anything. Guess I've been lucky so far. Recieved a package with 7 more today, so we'll see how those test out this weekend.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

                  will the power supply upgrade alone make a difference, or are the caps needed to realize the upgrade?
                  please do your write-up as if complete newbies will be doing this.
                  " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

                  Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                  Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

                  http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                  http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

                    He would need to try the power supply with a different unmodded amp, which I think he has, because he had to install at least the new cap that replaced the one that blew from being installed backwards.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

                      this is a great thread.

                      1. Is there a summary of recommended upgrade?, instructions/parts #?
                      2. Anyone modified it to accept 2 inputs? (with a switch of course?)

                      thanks,

                      gychang

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

                        It already has a 3.5mm stereo input and stereo RCA inputs.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

                          Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
                          It already has a 3.5mm stereo input and stereo RCA inputs.
                          that's good, can switch to either... I will read about it in details, thanks.

                          gychang

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

                            Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
                            If I get one from PE that doesn't work, I may try your upgrades in an effort to fix it. The ones I've recieved have worked fine right out of the box so far, so can't see risking ruining one that works. I haven't had any problem with the 2A power supplies either. I have been able to run all 8 of the units I have up to max volume without any LEDs dimming or anything. Guess I've been lucky so far. Recieved a package with 7 more today, so we'll see how those test out this weekend.
                            There's no risk unless you've never held a soldering iron in your life. Hell, the 50W soldering iron I used is old and cost me $8 so you don't necessarily need a very good soldering iron either. Not that it wouldn't help, but you get the idea.

                            With regard to LEDs dimming, it depends on how hard you push what speakers. Think about it. 20W x 2 channel is 40W. 40W is about 3.33 amps. Your power supply delivers 2A. There's at minimum dynamic range that's lost due to the lack of power.

                            Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            will the power supply upgrade alone make a difference, or are the caps needed to realize the upgrade?
                            please do your write-up as if complete newbies will be doing this.
                            The power supply will increase your output and keep the unit from shutting down under heavy bass loads. As far as I could tell, the film output caps made the biggest difference, as I couldn't yet tell too much of a difference after replacing the rest of the electrolytic caps. That being said, I still haven't tested these with some good speakers, so final result impressions are still pending. So far, the midrange and upper midrange has improved noticeably.

                            Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
                            He would need to try the power supply with a different unmodded amp, which I think he has, because he had to install at least the new cap that replaced the one that blew from being installed backwards.
                            If you check the chronological order of this thread, I did indeed test the power supply before I replaced any caps, because I couldn't even start up the one with the busted input cap. My power supply test was done with an unmodified unit.

                            Originally posted by gychang View Post
                            this is a great thread.

                            1. Is there a summary of recommended upgrade?, instructions/parts #?
                            2. Anyone modified it to accept 2 inputs? (with a switch of course?)

                            thanks,

                            gychang
                            I'm working on it, lol. I only got all of the electrolytic caps replaced yesterday so I haven't yet had much time.

                            Now, if any of you are skeptical about the power supply making as much of a difference as I claim it does, I can take a video to prove how easily the factory power adapter causes the unit to shut down on harder bass beats and how much farther you can crank the volume on the new power adapter without any problems.
                            Modding the Lepai T-Amp

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

                              Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                              Well then, for as many people who wanted to see the results of these, there sure aren't very many replies to these photos, lol.

                              I replaced the rest of the capacitors and tried it out. I made one big mistake that I didn't know about. I ordered 2.2uf 50V electrolytic caps to replace 1.75uf 50V electrolytic caps. The result was 31% THD at anywhere between 80 and 150hz at -20db with my testing software. In retrospect, that number was 12% before I replaced those. I pulled them out and put the factory ones back in, and that fixed the problem. I hope nobody ordered the parts from the list I posted because you'd be in for a rude surprise. I don't actually remember having seen 1.75uf caps anywhere either, so you might be stuck leaving those in there.

                              At this point I don't have speakers good enough to actually hear further differences. I've tested these off of Peerless India 3" buyout drivers in mini cubes. Terrible for high frequency response. I'm almost done building a set of Overnight Sensations MTMs to get some better tests run.

                              I'll have a writeup put together in the next few days.
                              Haha...thanks for the pics! Sorry for the delayed gratitude. :D I just started a new job and have been working much longer hours.

                              I do intend to try this as I have two of these guys hooked up right now.

                              -j

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Lepai T2020A+ Repair/Upgrade

                                Well I have 15 of these now and so far they all work, but once you have written up your final summary and parts list maybe I'll give one a try.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X