X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibox modeling heavy fill MLTL?

Attached Files

Re: Unibox modeling heavy fill MLTL?

Unibox is only making a change in Qa as an approximation of "heavy fill", thus lowering the box Q.

Unibox, however, can not model an MLTL. That is more than a heavily damped vented box, it also involves the quarter wave resonance of the box. In an MLTL the placement of the port is also critical to the result, and this is not calculated by Unibox.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

You are definitely NOT modeling a ML-TL with Unibox as it does not take into consideration several of the critical dimensions needed to model a ML-TL. What you are changing is the Qa of the box which is one of the components of the total Q. That will change the port requirements for tuning to a particular frequency.
      Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

I guess Jeff and I posted at the same time... although his post was much more informative :o
        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
          Unibox is only making a change in Qa as an approximation of "heavy fill", thus lowering the box Q.

Unibox, however, can not model an MLTL. That is more than a heavily damped vented box, it also involves the quarter wave resonance of the box. In an MLTL the placement of the port is also critical to the result, and this is not calculated by Unibox.
          Jeff, thanks for the help. Learning everyday. Robert.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
            You are definitely NOT modeling a ML-TL with Unibox as it does not take into consideration several of the critical dimensions needed to model a ML-TL. What you are changing is the Qa of the box which is one of the components of the total Q. That will change the port requirements for tuning to a particular frequency.

PWR, thanks for the help. Have to read up on this MLTL. Robert.

Comment

When modeling an ML-TL with software intended for it, like Martin King's, you'll find that much less stuffing (density and/or length) usually is required than for other types of TLs. Like Jeff and Craig have already stated, several variables can be optimized in the modeling.
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                When modeling an ML-TL with software intended for it, like Martin King's, you'll find that much less stuffing (density and/or length) usually is required than for other types of TLs. Like Jeff and Craig have already stated, several variables can be optimized in the modeling.
                Paul
                Thanks for the info Paul. I'm going to try to hunt down the software and read MK info. I may want to go MLTL instead of ported. Robert.

Comment

If you need suggestions or help in the modeling, let me know.
                  Paul

Originally posted by dlsbobby View Post
                  Thanks for the info Paul. I'm going to try to hunt down the software and read MK info. I may want to go MLTL instead of ported. Robert.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                    If you need suggestions or help in the modeling, let me know.
                    Paul
                    Very kind of you Paul, thank you. I'm gonna give it a solid try. Regards, Robert.

Comment

Working...
                    X