Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

    12" GRS poly woofer
    5" GRS sealed back mid
    3/4" Dayton front mount neo tweeter

    Cabinets built and ready to rock and roll. Working on an annoying problem with a honky mid right now.

    This particular project is serving two purposes:

    1. The woofer portion will serve as the bottom end for the Cabrini bass module.

    2. My friends just bought a house and in the basement are two holes recessed in the wall. Size: 15.375"w x 26.25"h x 13.5"d. A little too small for the GRS woofer, but doable. No BSC needed.

    Will update later, of course.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

  • #2
    Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

    cool, I bought 4 of those GRS 12 inch woofers - couldn't refuse at $13 each.

    I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

    High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

    Tangband W6-sub

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

      So far:

      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

        That's one knarly looking cross-over :D

        Have you considered using one of these for the tweeter?

        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=270-069

        They're cheaper than the Daytons, have a much wider and smoother FR compared to the piezos which come with their own plastic horn, and you could build a mild horn directly into the baffle to keep the cost down.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

          Nice big monkey coffin! Man, if I'd only had those in college....

          I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

          High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

          Tangband W6-sub

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

            Originally posted by Ludo View Post
            That's one knarly looking cross-over :D

            Have you considered using one of these for the tweeter?

            http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=270-069

            They're cheaper than the Daytons, have a much wider and smoother FR compared to the piezos which come with their own plastic horn, and you could build a mild horn directly into the baffle to keep the cost down.
            Yeah, I am a sloppy prototyper :D

            I have never thought about that tweeter. Since I almost always use fixed front baffles due to sheer laziness in my woodworking, I rarely consider rear mounted drivers.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

              Originally posted by donradick View Post
              Nice big monkey coffin! Man, if I'd only had those in college....
              Yeah, I am hoping I can at least get a "thumpy good times" vibe along with some semblance of SQ out of it.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

                Looks great Johnny! My next speaker project will include "larger" drivers. Not saying I'm disappointed with my OS's (because I love them) but I think I could really have some fun with a good 10" to 12" driver. And, as always, cost is a concern :D

                Looking forward to seeing what you have to say about them.
                -Brian

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

                  Great project. All you need is a wood lattice grill like the old Japanese 70's speakers.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

                    Originally posted by djg View Post
                    Great project. All you need is a wood lattice grill like the old Japanese 70's speakers.
                    Speaking of which... does anyone know a source for stuff like that?
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

                      Looks interesting -- are these going to be pretty much like wall mounted speakers, or on shelves?
                      Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                      Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                      Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                      Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                      Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                      NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

                        Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
                        Looks interesting -- are these going to be pretty much like wall mounted speakers, or on shelves?
                        In-wall. My friends have cutouts in place already, hence the size constraint. I will also voice a full baffle step version in addition to the install specific version, which would also work reasonably well (I assume) corner loaded in a garage or dorm room
                        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

                          Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                          In-wall. My friends have cutouts in place already, hence the size constraint. I will also voice a full baffle step version in addition to the install specific version, which would also work reasonably well (I assume) corner loaded in a garage or dorm room
                          Yah, those would be perfect for near-field listening in a small dorm room

                          I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                          High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                          Tangband W6-sub

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

                            :D
                            Originally posted by donradick View Post


                            Yah, those would be perfect for near-field listening in a small dorm room
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Next project - GRS based large 3-way.

                              Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                              Speaking of which... does anyone know a source for stuff like that?
                              Is this along the lines you were thinking? http://www.wendellfabrics.com/standard.html

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X