Steinway approved speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steinway approved speakers

An interesting article. I'd like to see the list of engineers (and their field of expertise) who collaborated to make this happen. Disclaimer: Not implying that these sound good, or that they're worth the money (thank Gawd there's no price listed). I like the anecdote about the audience at the end. For those who may not recognize the name, Lyngdorf has quite a reputation in electronic room corrections.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/steinway/1.html
    Some of my audio projects:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8626051@N04/sets/

Re: Steinway approved speakers

quite an interesting system.
    150k tho. a bit out of reach for me.
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Those model Ds resemble full Statements. I bet the Statements are closer to my budget:p

Comment

I had a pair. I personally was unhappy but they told me I could correct problems with 500K in room treatments. The diesels on my Yacht were being rebuilt at the time so I just gave the Speaks to a friend.
        'Soupy'

Comment

Originally posted by J.Lee View Post
          I had a pair. I personally was unhappy but they told me I could correct problems with 500K in room treatments. The diesels on my Yacht were being rebuilt at the time so I just gave the Speaks to a friend.

LOL! That made me laugh, hard.

Awesome, Jeff!:D

Mark
          You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Reproducing the full output of such an instrument usually adds distortion of some kind which accordingly becomes more obvious. In a great piano there simply are no higher harmonics capable of masking system distortion from a hifi system.
            What? So a Steinway piano produces pure sine waves??
            Could've fooled me.
            Free & Free-form simulator/designer for Passive Crossovers
            SynergyCalc 5: design spreadsheet for Wooden horns and DIY Synergy Waveguides
            Super easy and cheap to make high performance sound diffusers

Comment

Originally posted by bwaslo View Post
              What? So a Steinway piano produces pure sine waves??
              Could've fooled me.
              Gee, an ad for $150k speakers contains inaccuracies. Who'd of thunk it? :D
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

OPINION: These are "money means nothing to me" bragging rights speakers.
                The higher the price tag the greater the hype:
                More expensive speaker often get named for dead composers ( public domain name recognition )
                I'm guessing that S & Sons get a licensing fee for use of their name.
                Since there are pianos with 97 and 102 keys ( Stuart & Sons "The 102 key model ranges from sub contra C (CCC) to f (f5) above top c on the standard keyboard. This provides nine extra keys in the bass and five in the treble. The 97 key model has four extra keys in the bass and five in the treble." )
                There must be plans for extended range models speakers - at higher cost of course: :rolleyes:
                My old synthesizer models ( from the the early 70's ) had greater FR range than a piano, but I doubt the ultra-rich would buy a speaker called a VCO just because it could reproduce pure sine waves.
                "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Reminds me quite a bit of Audio Artistry. Not sure if it's a coincidence.

Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                    Gee, an ad for $150k speakers contains inaccuracies. Who'd of thunk it? :D
                    At least they're being open about the bias:

This review page is supported in part by the sponsors whose ad banners are displayed below
                    dlr
                    WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

At least (apart from the gaudy golden pieces) they look really nice! :D
                      "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

the 15" dayton series ll are on sale , you could replace the goldwoods with the daytons , e-b*y the goldwoods minmizing the cost of the upgrade ,and then do room upgrades when money , i mean time allows !
                        donc

Comment

Mark - I couldn't resist. What they claim they have in R&D really had me going. For that kind of dough I'd eliminate my Mortgage and buy Bose.

Jonasz - Man... I think the whole thing shouts gaudy.

Donc is on the right track... lets clone those babies, a new project for JohnyRichards.... how to make a 150k speaker for $300 !!
                          'Soupy'

Comment

Originally posted by J.Lee View Post
                            Mark - I couldn't resist. What they claim they have in R&D really had me going. For that kind of dough I'd eliminate my Mortgage and buy Bose.

Jonasz - Man... I think the whole thing shouts gaudy.

Donc is on the right track... lets clone those babies, a new project for JohnyRichards.... how to make a 150k speaker for $300 !!
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I'd say you could make the speakers under 6k including baffle materials.
                              Not sure what you could make for $300 as far as large speakers go.
                              http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X