Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

InDIYana2011 aftermath: My cumulative thoughts and virtual walkaround...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: InDIYana2011 aftermath: My cumulative thoughts and virtual walkaround...

Is Solen the only major source for Airborne drivers? Since Solen has been selling PE stuff for a while, I was wondering if PE is going to be selling Airborne stuff. Anyone have detailed measurements on Airborne drivers? I've only seen a short thread of Wolf's use of one - a little curious here....

Comment

Originally posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
      looks like an all around good time

build thread for the NTN TL?
      The NTN was originally designed by Chris Roemer and started as the Nano Neo and evolved from there.
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=218177

Here's the TL build from the InDIYana presenter:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223054

That should help get you started. I'm not sure where isaeagle4031 got the design specs for the TL version.

Those NTN TL's were very surprizing. Huge, full bodied sound from a very small foot print.
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by fntn View Post
        Is Solen the only major source for Airborne drivers? Since Solen has been selling PE stuff for a while, I was wondering if PE is going to be selling Airborne stuff. Anyone have detailed measurements on Airborne drivers? I've only seen a short thread of Wolf's use of one - a little curious here....
        Well- I measured the 8" CF and the 28mm you probably saw that was up for prize....

I also had the 6.5" wood-cones in my Propensity project.
        Attached Files
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
          The NTN was originally designed by Chris Roemer and started as the Nano Neo and evolved from there.
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=218177

Here's the TL build from the InDIYana presenter:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223054

That should help get you started. I'm not sure where isaeagle4031 got the design specs for the TL version.

Those NTN TL's were very surprizing. Huge, full bodied sound from a very small foot print.
          Thanks for the kind words. The TL portion was my own. Its really more of a varitaion of a voight pipe. Instead of tapering the line I used a 2:1 compression between the front and back. In this case the front is 3.5" and rear is 1.75". There really was not a proven design method for this at this point. It was an experiment!!! A bit of luck. I tried something similar before on a smaller scale and liked what I had. So I tweaked on it and developed this.

I had a couple people ask me about my sub that was there, thinking it was running with the towers, however, I did not have a way to easily or quickly hook it up, so it just sat there. The full range was coming from those little 105s
          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

The songlist...

I forgot to post it up!!

InDIYana 2011 cutz:
            Disc 1, a 3":

1- pink noise

2- "Duke's Place" from Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington's The Great Summit The recording is always a little hissy, but otherwise well recorded.

3- Stravinsky- "Firebird Suite" from Minnesota Orchestra. 30dB bass peaks.

4- "Give it Away", from Quincy Coleman's Also Known As Mary Independently distributed, both albums are great! Her voice is a little fuzzy or warm at the bottom of her range, and it's a well recorded brushed snare and piano cut.

5- "Too Much" from Dave Matthews' Crash Just a fun funky cut with a nice bari-sax line and lotsa cymbal work.

6- "And So It Goes" by the King Singers, originally from Good Vibrations. This is a 4-part (or more) harmony of just male voices, and has become a reference piece among our outings. Originally a Billy Joel song.

7- "All My Love is Gone" from Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth.

8- "Broken" from Norah Jones' Not Too Late. The 2-part harmony bleeds together on lesser speakers, and the bow on the cello or bass isn't clean.

9- "Magic Carpet Ride" from Steppenwolf's second album The Second, but ripped from -A Retrospective. I find his voice virtually disappears if the woofer and tweeter are out of phase. That- and it's a great Rock and Roll iconic tune!

10- "Shed a Little Light (Live)" by James Taylor, originally from Live, but ripped from Greatest Hits Volume 2. It is 4 part harmony, and live with the croed whistling and such. Good recording.

Disc 2, a 5", was a lot of files for modeling in RM/PCD that I've had or measured/modeled/traced, xover schematics I've come across, etc-etc...

Hope that helps the search to find what you now wish to own!
            Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Looks like it was a great time.... I might have to work on a justification for going to InDIY over Dayton next year although it'd be quite a hike.

Take it easy
              Jay
              "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
              Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
              Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
              Levitation TM
              - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

First of all, even though physical fatigue was setting in pretty heavily on me by the afternoon of the second day (and I'm still running a sleep deficit at the start of the work week), I enjoyed this event more than any other DIY event I've ever been to. The informal presentation style combined with the chance to meet and hob-nob with so -- and I mean so -- many great people and absorb so much technical expertise from folks like Jeff B. and Phil B. ("The B's"?) left me with the opinion that InDIYana is unrivaled among every meet I've been a part of thus far in terms of overall enjoyment. MWAF still has a lot going for it (IMO, the competitive format certainly has a place among DIY audio shows) and I'll be there this year, but InDIYana couldn't be a more perfect warm-up.

I believe that the Friday evening just before dinner would have made an excellent chance to have a 'seminar time' with people like Jeff Bagby, Phil Bamberg, and anyone else who would care to put together a short presentation. Next year I'd like to see Phil Bamberg demonstrate some of the measurement techniques he spoke about on Saturday evening. I'm glad to see that people in the industry are so committed to improving the state of DIY. Measurement and crossover design still continue to be 'final frontiers' for DIYers. Hopefully for us younger guys, DIY can be our entry into what high-end audio would view as its talent pool; I can think of nothing I'd love more than to do this 40 hours a week.

I'm very pleased to have been able to provide my front end for the event. Since the Levinson preamp was a gift of sorts (I accepted it in trade for some electro-voice PA cone drivers, but I hardly consider it an even trade) from a friend of mine who used to design drivers for Harman, I'm glad I can make it available to events like these. The same goes for the other pieces in my collection. For those wondering, the styrofoam packing blocks on my Marantz transport were scientifically and mathematically left on the unit for this event to isolate the transport from the obviously deleterious effects of micro-seismics, which are the vibratile effects of seismic events taking place miles below the earth's crust, 14/7, 365 days a year. (That was all a joke, but your looks of disgust are a small price to pay for the appearance of pursuing perfect audio reproduction. :D :rolleyes: )

More later. (Possibly much later since I still have yet to sleep off the trip, and the chores waiting for me when I returned home.)
                Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  Well- I measured the 8" CF and the 28mm you probably saw that was up for prize....

I also had the 6.5" wood-cones in my Propensity project.
                  Thanks Wolf!

Comment

Working...
                  X