Re-ocurring problem downloading pdf datasheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-ocurring problem downloading pdf datasheets

I have been having the following problem more consistently than not when downloading pdf datasheets from the Parts-Express web site:
    I open the product page
    I click on the "Manufacturer's Datasheet" or similar to open it (opens in a new window)
    The window opens, the datasheet starts downloading and about 1/2 of the file or so seems to be transferred fine and then it just stops. It appears that the app (Adobe reader plug in) has started to initialize itself or something, as some of the normal tool bars appear in the window just about the time that the download freezes.

Waiting does not help. The file download never completes.

I have figured out one workaround: even though the download is still pending and appears frozen, the window still works. I can go to the "file" menu and choose "Save As" to my local drive. This initiates another download of the file, which completes without issues every time. I would do this from the get go, that is just save the file to disk first and then open it, but you can't do that the way that PE has coded the page to open a new window - the link for the datasheet on the product page actually is for an html file, not the pdf file.

Anyway, I'd like to know if other people have a problem like this with the datasheets from PE. It's link of a PITA.

-Charlie
    Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

Re: Re-ocurring problem downloading pdf datasheets

I'd say it's either a connection speed or browser issue. I notice that when on AOL it takes me a lot longer to download anything than when I'm using Firefox.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
        I'd say it's either a connection speed or browser issue. I notice that when on AOL it takes me a lot longer to download anything than when I'm using Firefox.
        AOL? Wow.

Comment

I have DSL. I use Firefox 4.x and Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.2.... I have the Adobe plug in installed for Firefox.

-Charlie

Comment

OK, I just changed the setting in Firefox for PDF document to download and open in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Previously this was set to use the plug in to open the file in a browser window. Bad!

Since making the change I have been able to download and view several pdf files from the PE site, without any problems. Maybe the Firefox plugin is a little buggy???

-Charlie

Comment

Since making the change I have been able to download and view several pdf files from the PE site, without any problems. Maybe the Firefox plugin is a little buggy???
              I have used Foxit reader with Firefox for some years now. It's a free PDF reader similar to Adobe Acrobat but with less nagging or ads to upgrade (according to the article I read that recommended it back then). I have been very satisfied with the performance to date.

Marvin

Comment

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
                I have been having the following problem more consistently than not when downloading pdf datasheets from the Parts-Express web site:
                I open the product page
                I click on the "Manufacturer's Datasheet" or similar to open it (opens in a new window)
                The window opens, the datasheet starts downloading and about 1/2 of the file or so seems to be transferred fine and then it just stops. It appears that the app (Adobe reader plug in) has started to initialize itself or something, as some of the normal tool bars appear in the window just about the time that the download freezes.

Waiting does not help. The file download never completes.

I have figured out one workaround: even though the download is still pending and appears frozen, the window still works. I can go to the "file" menu and choose "Save As" to my local drive. This initiates another download of the file, which completes without issues every time. I would do this from the get go, that is just save the file to disk first and then open it, but you can't do that the way that PE has coded the page to open a new window - the link for the datasheet on the product page actually is for an html file, not the pdf file.

Anyway, I'd like to know if other people have a problem like this with the datasheets from PE. It's link of a PITA.

-Charlie
                I do the same thing you do. Whether at work (high speed whatever using Safari on a Mac) or home (dial up using IE on a PC) the 1st download (or attempted opening by Acrobat Pro) fails. The 2nd try always works like a charm.

Comment

I use Foxit and Chrome that allows me to completely eliminate Adobe from my computer.
                  I was tired and got tired again so now I am Re tired.

Comment

Working...
                  X